• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Eight/HT/HTx for 2.1?

darrellc

Forum Donor
Anyone know if I can use a Minidsp Flex HTx for 2.1 system (I’m assuming yes)? As Flex HTx is only marginally more expensive than regular Flex RCA, I like having the option for HDMI input or redeploying in home theater setup. I’m assuming I can use an arbitrary number of channels.

Use case is Sonos Connect S15 via toslink to Minidsp direct to amp and so Minidsp is DAC and “preamp”. Plan to control volume through Minidsp remote. Is it possible to control volume through Sonos Connect (Sonos app)?

Thx in advance for answering my novice questions!

OP
D

darrellc

Forum Donor
OP here. To close the thread, I ended up buying flex digital with Dirac so going Sonos Connect to flex dig to smsl d-6s analog out to amp. Decided I really wouldn’t ever need hdmi in this room.

Using a FIR filter for now and did a good job of room correction, will try Dirac at some point.

CrazyCatHusband

My use case is 2.1 with some flexibility between balanced and unbalanced outputs. The Flex8 looked good, but there was no balanced option, so I've been flipping back and forth between getting a Flex balanced and a Flex8 for a year.

While the HTx is much pricier, I think this will fit my needs. Enough outputs and crossover configurations to have a 2.1 setup with a mix of RCA and balanced, a present to go out to headphones, and the ability to run some long balanced cables to the other end of the room for a quiet 2.0 setup.

I have no need for decoding, and the multi-channel Dirac specifically says it works with 2.1, whereas every other unit has strictly 2-channel Dirac.

Top Bottom