• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

Kervel

Forum Donor
While it won´t replace a full AVR, I think it is a great update to the existing minidsp line up. I currently use a Studio to stream and watch tv in a 2.2 system. The HDMI earc is really convenient and eliminates a remote control. The WISA makes it simple to add an additional sub. The trigger output is nice. I say this is a really big step up. We will see how well it plays with smart TVs and multichannel; thats just bonus.

jaakkopetteri

Do I understand correctly that Shield with Plex/Kodi can output LPCM? What would I miss if I only need 5.1?
Really hoping this thing could replace my glitchy Canton Smart Connect which really tests WAF limits. Just need pricing competitive enough against NuXinema or Cinema 70s

Smitty2k1

Do I understand correctly that Shield with Plex/Kodi can output LPCM? What would I miss if I only need 5.1?
Really hoping this thing could replace my glitchy Canton Smart Connect which really tests WAF limits. Just need pricing competitive enough against NuXinema or Cinema 70s
I do believe the Shield will decode and output LPCM. What a great device. Mine is still going strong from 2015 as our bedroom Kodi box.

cong314159

?o bitstream support, that's limiting its usage.
What are the devices having HDMI input / HDMI output doing bitstream to PCM decoding ?
I was very interested in this device and looked into the usage.
  1. I have a LG tv, you can convert Bitstream input to PCM in the TV, although any dolby content would be limited to 2-channel.
  2. I also have an Apple TV 4K, if choose to turn off dolby atoms in the settings, the dolby content is decoded in Apple TV internally and output as multi-PCM.

RS200

I was very interested in this device and looked into the usage.
  1. I have a LG tv, you can convert Bitstream input to PCM in the TV, although any dolby content would be limited to 2-channel.
  2. I also have an Apple TV 4K, if choose to turn off dolby atoms in the settings, the dolby content is decoded in Apple TV internally and output as multi-PCM.
Are you sure Dolby content is downmixed to 2-channel on LG tv’s, not PCM multichannel? So using Netflix native app on the TV would result in stereo output over PCM? Would seriously be a bummer…

Use case for me would be as follows:
Flex HT to my LG C9 over HDMI eArc. Flex HT will be connected to KEF LS50 Wireless 2 (wired) + KEF KF92 subwoofer (wired). I would then like to add a Piega Ace centerspeaker (via Wisa) and 2x Piega Ace 30 surround speakers (via Wisa) for multichannel content. I plan to connect a Roon ready streaming device for stereo listening.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure Dolby content is downmixed to 2-channel on LG tv’s, not PCM multichannel? So using Netflix native app on the TV would result in stereo output over PCM? Would seriously be a bummer…
That’s probably the case. The LG TV’s can only pass the bitstream audio, not decode it.
Flex HT to my LG C9 over HDMI eArc. Flex HT will be connected to KEF LS50 Wireless 2 (wired) + KEF KF92 subwoofer (wired). I would then like to add a Piega Ace centerspeaker (via Wisa) and 2x Piega Ace 30 surround speakers (via Wisa) for multichannel content. I plan to connect a Roon ready streaming device for stereo listening.
It’s really a shame KEF hasn’t opened up the WiSa transceivers in their wireless speakers to integrate into the WiSa ecosystem :facepalm:.They contain all the hardware, it’s just locked to the second LS50.

RS200

Hmm, this makes the use case a bit less attractive. Was not aware btw that the KEFs had the Wisa hardware already!

cong314159

The signal path for me is Apple TV (Dolby Atmos on) -> LG GX (eARC output, PCM) -> Anthem MRX 540. I can see this is down mixed to stereo. I don't use native apps on the TV.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Left

It's gotten mixed reviews but the WISA 5.1 speaker set from Platin, the Milan 5.1, is on sale for $499.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It’s really a shame KEF hasn’t opened up the WiSa transceivers in their wireless speakers to integrate into the WiSa ecosystem :facepalm:.They contain all the hardware, it’s just locked to the second LS50.
Add a decoding system, the capacity to buy a single satellite... And you'll have a beast of a home theatre. Stylish too, on top.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seems like the main benefit here is HTPC use with decoding in a software like Jriver/Kodi etc. and send it out as decoded, uncompressed LPCM to the miniDSP Flex with HDMI input. This will render the need for an AVR.

But not all surround formats today can be decoded in a software, can they? Looks to me that even PowerDVD, who have alegitimate software for decoding BD, does not support decoding of Atmos and DTS-X.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems like the main benefit here is HTPC use with decoding in a software like Jriver/Kodi etc. and send it out as decoded, uncompressed LPCM to the miniDSP Flex with HDMI input. This will render the need for an AVR.

But not all surround formats today can be decoded in a software, can they? Looks to me that even PowerDVD, who have alegitimate software for decoding BD, does not support decoding of Atmos and DTS-X.
All Atmos and DTS-X soundtracks have a base True HD/DTS MA 7.1 track, which is what is then converted to LPCM.

jaakkopetteri

What issues do you have with it?
Rather loud noises when changing inputs, sudden shutdowns which include shutting the TV and the Canton then requires reinserting the power plug, sound not coming through at all with some content (DV mostly, might have to play around with the settings on my Shield), night mode sometimes is really slow to recover from loud noises (not sure if other devices do it any better) and volume suddenly rising or going down as if the remote was stuck under the sofa (haven't had this in a while though). I'm also not sure if the Canton has a subpar eARC implementation but changing volume is pretty slow and I'd like to see the volume reading on the TV - some receivers apparently do this.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Rather loud noises when changing inputs, sudden shutdowns which include shutting the TV and the Canton then requires reinserting the power plug, sound not coming through at all with some content (DV mostly, might have to play around with the settings on my Shield), night mode sometimes is really slow to recover from loud noises (not sure if other devices do it any better) and volume suddenly rising or going down as if the remote was stuck under the sofa (haven't had this in a while though). I'm also not sure if the Canton has a subpar eARC implementation but changing volume is pretty slow and I'd like to see the volume reading on the TV - some receivers apparently do this.
I also had a smart connect 5.1 first gen and got similar issues as loud pops when changing inputs, no sound for few seconds when changing audio/videos streams...
It was a nice (affordable) device but too buggy and I had to send it back to canton.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And when formats and decoding is a complication, Schiit has come out with this very interesting little device.

Kervel

Forum Donor
But for this application, the standard flex 8 would also work, connected over usb to HTCP (I suspect this model to be cheaper).
Edit: nope, the flex 8 accepts only stereo input, not 8 independent channels! thanks @jaakkopetteri

Last edited:
Top Bottom