• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

rirelien

Forum Donor
Hello, a few questions:

Anyone use the Flex HTx with Roon? I do not see anything about Roon Ready. If it works with Roon at all, does that mean over a USB cable from a PC / Mac running Roon server?

Anyone using the Flex HTx for active crossover? How is your experience running Dirac room correction with such a set-up? I assume a USB mic has to attached to the PC.

Does the miniDSP remote control work for volume control in such a set-up? I prefer to control volume later in the digital flow, not up-front in Roon.

Thanks
I use a Flex HT with Roon. Works over USB. I control the volume with the MiniDSP volume control, via remote and via the rotary encoder on the unit. I am running Dirac Live with it.

Not using it as an active crossover but others here are and I see no reason why it wouldn’t be fine.

prerich

I'm thinking about purchasing one to serve as a possible replacement for the Whisper processor. I'd use this to EQ the woofers in the Whispers from 300hz down (as I'm bi-amping the speakers). Id get greater control as the newer Whispers used a Xilica processor. If I don't like it - it seems minidsp products sell quickly especial if I offer my used product discount.

adLuke

Hello, I bought the HTx but I am having lots of trouble with it.
Sometimes the software does not recognize it, sometimes it asks me to unplug and plug again and sometimes the audio signal is not there.
I have been puzzling over this for a few days. Now my main idea of the guilty bit is the USB cable: Seems problems arise when I use a 5m cable. Have tried 2 passive ones and 1 active extension with the miniDSP provided cable. All not same problems with added issues with the active extension (Type A to Type A 3.0, 3m).
I am at a loss now: can anyone suggest a good, reliable cable to fit my needs?
Much appreciate your help on this.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Before you blame your cable, make sure that the USB connector on your MiniDSP or PC is not faulty. Use another cable that is known to work (you can verify it by using it to transfer data to a portable HDD, phone, etc). Connect that to your MiniDSP. Try different USB ports on your PC. If everything works fine, then you can go cable shopping.

Naturlyd

I have had lots of problems with faulty USB cables. Only with cheap cables and mostly longer ones +3 meters. Somehow my RME interfaces have been less bothered with the problem than some older MOTU units.

Easy to check with RMEs Digicheck utility. The problem is that USB just works and you may be dropping packages/data even if there is no obvious corruption of the sound quality.

Naturlyd

Forgot my main point - have experienced lost connection with several different MiniDSP products that was caused by different USB cables.

dweeeeb2

FYI, my usb cable for the HTx is a cheap 5m one, and I’ve done countless REW measurements even with a 5m umik-2 cable. I don’t think cable length within reason is your issue.
Out of habit I do make sure the HTx is connected to the pc and on before loaded the control centre, and always use the disconnect button when finished.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
FYI, my usb cable for the HTx is a cheap 5m one, and I’ve done countless REW measurements even with a 5m umik-2 cable. I don’t think cable length within reason is your issue.
Out of habit I do make sure the HTx is connected to the pc and on before loaded the control centre, and always use the disconnect button when finished.

In the past did encountered similar issues as @adLuke.
These issues were always related to 5m cables and never with shorter ones.
With some 5m cables, it was fine and with other not.
Thus, the length was an issue for some UBS cables.
I ended up by getting 5m active ones (for mic and minidsp devices) and never had issues again.

adLuke

Thank you everyone for your kind help.
I will try a few fixes and if I find anything noteworthy I will let you know here just for future reference.
Best

Top Bottom