• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a HDMI audio decoder that outputs 8 channel LPCM

lowerfe

I'm looking for a device that can take an HDMI input and decode every format there is, Dolby, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-MA, Atmos, you name it, just like a receiver can, and then convert it to 8 channel LPCM and output to HDMI. Then it will be connected to a MiniDSP Flex which takes HDMI in, but only supports LPCM.

Does such a device exist? Thanks

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a device that can take an HDMI input and decode every format there is, Dolby, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-MA, Atmos, you name it, just like a receiver can, and then convert it to 8 channel LPCM and output to HDMI. Then it will be connected to a MiniDSP Flex which takes HDMI in, but only supports LPCM.

Does such a device exist? Thanks

Chances are your cheapest option will be the absolute cheapest AVR you can find, probably demo, used, or refurbished, and using it as an HDMI decoder. I am not sure what the default HDMI output stream is, however, nor if they all put audio on the HDMI output or just video. Another option would be a blu-ray player with HDMI in and out, perhaps with an audio-only HDMI output. I am not sure the BD player would be cheaper than a basement AVR.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always forget about the Blu-ray players with HDMI input. I think the OPPO 203 will do what the OP wants, but I am not sure I know of anything in current production.

Would be great to have a list of products that can output LPCM as I feel this question is asked a lot (even more so with the Flex HT release) and I’ve only seen Arvus mentioned as a modern product with this capability.

Michael

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It would be illegal sell something that decrypts & digitally converts HDMI from a Blu-Ray or DVD. Decoding to analog is OK.

MCH

Major Contributor
I was under the impression that my fire stick can output multichannel PCM, can't it?

IMG_20240203_230750084_HDR~2.jpg

OP
L

lowerfe

Thanks for all the help guys. I wish I can buy that Oppo, that looks like it'll do the trick. The other option is to buy the cheapest HDMI 2.1 capable receiver and basically just use it as an HDMI switch. I believe all my sources will output LPCM, so maybe a decoder isn't necessary.

Tre2023

The eARC port of the Flex HTx must be connected to a TV. It is not simply an audio HDMI port that can be connected to the HDMI #2(Audio Only) output port of an equipped device. A TV supporting eARC will need to be set to passthrough signals from directly connected devices with eARC support turned ON. Blu-ray Disc players and some devices such as the Apple TV 4K, some Amazon Fire devices, PCs, Macs, PS5 and Xbox Series X/S can all output multichannel PCM rather than bitstream signals and will need to be set to output Uncompressed Multichannel PCM. A 7.1 Uncompressed Multichannel PCM signal will exceed the bandwidth limits of ARC and will need the expanded bandwidth of eARC.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 3.15.04 PM.png

Top Bottom