• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

MAB

Major Contributor
8 channels of both analog-in and -out, both balanced and RCA.:D Apparently shipping in December, taking pre-orders now.
Dual-Flex-HTx-1200px.png

Hardware Description:
  • Processor: 32-bit floating-point 400MHz Analog Devices SHARC DSP
  • Multi-Core USB Audio processor (XMOS)
  • HDMI EARC/ARC interface for multichannel audio in PCM. Note that Flex HTx doesn't support bitstream format (Dolby/DTS encoded).
  • Optional upgrade to Dirac Live® 3.x Digital Room Correction, Multichannel (8ch) Full Range Room Correction (20~20kHz)
  • Audiophile performance with very low noise floor and distortion (SNR @127dB(A), THD+N @ -120dB (0.0001%)
  • Inputs: Stereo digital (SPDIF/Optical), Multichannel USB Audio streaming (up to 7.1)
  • Outputs: 8 channels audio duplicated to unbalanced (RCA)
  • White/Black OLED front panel controller with IR control
  • Control and configuration by miniDSP Device Console (DC)
  • Rack mountable with removeable rack EARS
No manual available yet. This looks like lots of fun.

dweeeeb2

Couldn't help myself - ordered.....

EDIT: HDMI in, RCA and Balanced out, Bass management.....now it just has to work

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder why companies like Tonewinner exist with Dolby/DTS processing but we haven't seen MiniDSP attempt a Dolby Atmos/Dirac ART product. Even this doesn't seem to offer DLBC. I am not convinced that the enhanced configurability and SINAD of this product will translate into better real-world experience than a home theater AVR with Dirac/DLBC such as an Onkyo or Pioneer that supports DLBC.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Better functionality of course... but the design looks very much like the new Topping "TP" line of products.

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally a real 4/10x10HD alternative!

I won’t be buying one, but this looks really great with a heap of features!

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
There is no Dirac DBLC but is it really mandatory with existing minidsp toolbox capabilities combined with 8 Ch Dirac?
From my understanding, the only advantage of DBLC is the automatic crossover frequency and slope computation, making the process smoother and easier. And also more fined grained correction of multiple subs for HC on broader listening area locations.
While traditional Dirac processing in minidsp stereo products did not account for distinct subwoofers channels and made sub integration trickier, the 8 channels version can have better control of subs channels than before, once bass management manually configured in the Flex HT.

My dirac enabled stereo minidsp Flex already did a great job for "controlling" bass in my system for music.
So far, it was Audissey, provided with my AVR, that did the job for HC.

We'll see how the Dirac enabled Flex HT will do once replacing my AVR and be the single processor for both music and HC :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Sounds very interesting.

Would that be able to replace my Denon X3700 (except for the streaming part)?

How would a hook up look like in my case were (LG C with HDMI eARC) decodes / plays Netflix, Prime, YouTube and a separate CableBox (HDMI) plays local content?

Thanks.

dweeeeb2

Sounds very interesting.

Would that be able to replace my Denon X3700 (except for the streaming part)?

How would a hook up look like in my case were (LG C with HDMI eARC) decodes / plays Netflix, Prime, YouTube and a separate CableBox (HDMI) plays local content?

Thanks.
Run your cable box into tv, then ARC from tv to HTx

Danaxus

How exactly does this work? I have questions and my google-fu is failing me (as is minidsp's site), any chance you guys can help answers some questions?
  1. Can you use a digital source (i.e. Apple TV), using a single HDMI cable, then use this device to split the signal into as many channels as you have set up?
  2. Does it have any upmixing software (Atmos, DTS, Auro3D)?
  3. Is there any way to receive a single source, PEQ each individual channel or apply Dirac, recombine the signal, send it to an AVR and let that manage the upmixing and amplification?
  4. Is this essentially a really cool multi-channel preamp, i.e. receive a digital input, apply Dirac, then send each channel to be amplified (a multichannel amp, or a rack of Toppings for example). If so, how does multi-channel stuff like Atmos work?
  5. Generally, what is the use case for such a device?
Many thanks guys!

dweeeeb2

1: Only has 1 hdmi in, and its an Audio Return Channel (ARC) so use your tv as the hub to switch between content and the tv will output PCM data to the HTX via a single hdmi
2: No
3: only has analogue out so no
4: Apply PEQ, use Dirac, set a crossover for multiple subs. Its over kill in my 2.1 system but it allows me to add multiple subs and I can upgrade amps later to balanced

Last edited:

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
How exactly does this work? I have questions and my google-fu is failing me (as is minidsp's site), any chance you guys can help answers some questions?
  1. Can you use a digital source (i.e. Apple TV), using a single HDMI cable, then use this device to split the signal into as many channels as you have set up?
  2. Does it have any upmixing software (Atmos, DTS, Auro3D)?
  3. Is there any way to receive a single source, PEQ each individual channel or apply Dirac, recombine the signal, send it to an AVR and let that manage the upmixing and amplification?
  4. Is this essentially a really cool multi-channel preamp, i.e. receive a digital input, apply Dirac, then send each channel to be amplified (a multichannel amp, or a rack of Toppings for example). If so, how does multi-channel stuff like Atmos work?
  5. Generally, what is the use case for such a device?
Many thanks guys!
1 - yes if hdmi source sends PCM (meaning it did bitstream decoding of object based format such as Dolby thrue hd and Atmos)
2 - no. Only handle PCM
3 - yes
4 - yes
5 - a multi channel processor working on PCM streams that can apply the whole range of minidsp toolbox (crossovers, peq filters , fir filter or Dirac, routing, gains,....)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Run your cable box into tv, then ARC from tv to HTx
… ok. And which „box“ does the Multichannel decoding? The TV?

So for example if I stream a Netflix movie in 5.1 (Dolby, Atmos…) or whatever using the built in LG Netflix app, the TV decodes it and sends individual channel info / data (PCM or bitstream) to the HTx?

Last edited:

dweeeeb2

… ok. And which „box“ does the Multichannel decoding? The TV?

So for example if I stream a Netflix movie in 5.1 (Dolby, Atmos…) or whatever using the built in LG Netflix app, the TV decodes it and sends individual channel info / data (PCM or bitstream) to the HTx?
I wont know for sure until I play with it, sorry. I expect it to talk to the tv and advise multichannel PCM. The tv should be set to passthrough, or pcm. I’d change any bitstream options in tv or connected device to pcm or passthrough. Happy to be corrected.
I plan on using the hdmi ARC for video soundtracks ( so I can DSP for movies) and the optical input for Music (DSP for music)

dmilller

Seems like it will need HDMI switching added in many households.

Once again I'm both intrigued and confused by how miniDSP intends for their products to be used. I do use a 2x4HD to manage a sub.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Once again I'm both intrigued and confused by how miniDSP intends for their products to be used. I do use a 2x4HD to manage a sub.

In my case it will totally suit my requirements.
I have a mixed HC/music 3.2 setup (used to be 5.2).
- For the stereo music route, I have a streamer feeding a minidsp Flex which feed an hyper power amp with front speakers and 2 active subs. Using a "music" preset on the Flex handling the crossover, routing and DRC ( Dirac).
For HC route, TV box (with bitstream decoding to PCM) connected to an AVR feeding the 2 active subs and the center channel. Front pre-outs feeding the minidsp Flex that still feeds the hypex power amp and front speakers. Using an "HC" preset without crossover not DRC as it is handled by Audissey in the AVR.

My AVR currently only serve an HDMI decoder, channel routing, and center channel amp.

Using the Flex HT, I can add a small monobloc for the center channel and remove the AVR.

The Flext HT will handle both HC et music routes using presets:)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no Dirac DBLC but is it really mandatory with existing minidsp toolbox capabilities combined with 8 Ch Dirac?
From my understanding, the only advantage of DBLC is the automatic crossover frequency and slope computation, making the process smoother and easier. And also more fined grained correction of multiple subs for HC on broader listening area locations.
While traditional Dirac processing in minidsp stereo products did not account for distinct subwoofers channels and made sub integration trickier, the 8 channels version can have better control of subs channels than before, once bass management manually configured in the Flex HT.

My dirac enabled stereo minidsp Flex already did a great job for "controlling" bass in my system for music.
So far, it was Audissey, provided with my AVR, that did the job for HC.

We'll see how the Dirac enabled Flex HT will do once replacing my AVR and be the single processor for both music and HC :)

DLBC is way superior to anything you can do on your own as it phase corrects the crossover region for multiple seats.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I wont know for sure until I play with it, sorry. I expect it to talk to the tv and advise multichannel PCM. The tv should be set to passthrough, or pcm. I’d change any bitstream options in tv or connected device to pcm or passthrough. Happy to be corrected.
I plan on using the hdmi ARC for video soundtracks ( so I can DSP for movies) and the optical input for Music (DSP for music)
Thanks. Fair enough. Let’s wait and see.

Today my TV sends the encoded multichannel signal to my AVR which decodes it. However that can possibly be changed in the TV setup so the HTx receives already decoded signals for each channel. Again no need to speculate, let’s see and I appreciate you keeping us posted.

Top Bottom