• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast/HDMI Streamer for 2.1 system

thejholmes

Hey all,

I'm looking to improve the 2.1 system for my home office. I stream all my music through Deezer via Chromecast and have no desire to change that.

Speakers are Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC in ceiling speakers.
I've got a separate amp with RCA/XLR inputs for an in-wall sub (it's a small office).

Currently I have a Chromecast plugged into an HDMI port on my AVR and the sound from that is output via Zone 2 to the speakers in my office. It works, but it's clunky and I'm going to need that Zone for other stuff I want to do in the main room.

The Wiim Amp sounds ideal - I just ordered one but it's a couple weeks out. My only concern is if it's powerful enough - I honestly have no idea how power ratings really work.
The alternatives I were looking for would be the miniDSP Flex with an HDMI audio extractor or the miniDSP Flex HT which has an HDMI port on it. I'm assuming that the HDMI port on the Flex HT will do what I want to do with it.

I've seen the Topping and a few other DACs that only have 2 outs and don't really understand how one would connect a sub in that system. My sub's amp has RCA/XLR in/outs but it seems that limits controlling crossovers.

So I guess my questions:

1. Is the Wiim Amp as awesome as I hope it is? It'd be nice to not have a separate amp for the speakers.
2. Does the miniDSP Flex HT HDMI's input do what I think it'll do? I just want to plug that Chromecast in and get audio out of it.

lennyanders

I don't think you can just plugin a Chromecast into the Wiim Amp or miniDSP Flex HT as these only support HDMI Arc as input (I think). Your AVR normally passes the HDMI through from the input to the output HDMI and while it's doing that it's extracting the audio from the video signal. Which is completely different from how HDMI Arc works (I think).

Would be cool if it works though!

I guess since the Wiim Amp has support Chromecasting audio natively you don't really need the HDMI port there and wouldn't have a problem.

OP
T

thejholmes

That's what I was worried about. Guess we'll find out with the Wiim Amp.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But a wiim amp will have their own Chromcast client, so you stream directly there.
You can also create a Chromcast group and stream to both chromecasts at same time. (If I understood right your setup).
For an office, I guess you listen at desk distance, a wiim amp should be more than enough.

Tre2023

The ARC/eARC ports on these type devices must be connected to a TV’s ARC/eARC port. Any other devices would need to be connected directly to the TV. A connected TV needs to be set to PCM for output as these devices do not support Dolby or DTS bitstreams.

You can use several different services using the Wiim Home app. Deezer is supported and there is no need to connect an external streaming device. Of course, a Smart device is required for use of the app. It also has an adjustable crossover for the subwoofer pre out rather than fixed at 80Hz like some devices.

IMG_4468.jpeg

IMG_4467.jpeg

IMG_4465.jpeg

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To second what @Kegemusha and @Tre2023 said, WiiM Amp supports Chromecast and also streams Deezer directly. You would not need any other components.

The WiiM Amp also has an internal subwoofer crossover that provides a low-pass filter for the sub and high pass filter for the stereo speakers. It is adjustable for frequency, subwoofer amplitude, and subwoofer phase. So you just connect the sub output to your sub amp.

Supported Streaming Protocol
AirPlay 2, Chromecast, Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, Alexa Cast, DLNA

this all-in-one interface connects you to a plethora of popular music streaming services like Spotify, iHeartRadio, Tidal, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Napster, Pandora, TuneIn, Deezer, and more.

Unless you like to listen at rock concert levels, 60W @ 8 ohms, 120W @ 4 ohms is more than plenty in a small room. Your speakers are reasonably efficient (89 dB) and are rated at 6 ohms, so nominally the WiiM Amp can send 90W/channel into them. At normal listening levels (i.e. not too loud to talk over) you will be only using a few watts on average.

Last edited:
OP
T

thejholmes

Got the Wiim Amp and it's pretty sweet. Super easy to setup, slick app and love the remote presets. I then got silly and ordered a couple other ones to see if the sound quality was any better. Demoing a Rotel S14 and a Cambridge Audio Evo 75. I'd love to give that MiniDSP SHD Power a try, but they have no return policy.

Initial reaction: the Wiim app is so much better, and I like having a non-IR remote. The units are in a closet so I'll have to put in a IR repeater if I keep the Rotel.

The Rotel and Evo lack bass management (there is a crude bass setting); I have to turn the sub's amp volume all the way down. Maybe I'll need an attenuator or something for the sub? Really just trying to keep this simple.

Going to listen to each for a day or so and see if I can actually tell a difference in sound quality. Not sure I'm that good, which means I get to save a bunch of money!

Top Bottom