• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 29.9%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Buckeye NC252MP balanced stereo class D amplifier. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs US $575.
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier review.jpg

The amp is almost the size of a loaf of bread and literally weighs nearly as much! Amazing how far amplification technology has come. The package is made to be economical and intended to be heard than seen. Back panel is what you expect to see with notable inclusion of trigger input to automatically power the amp from the source:

Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier balanced back panel review.jpg

If you are not familiar with the tests that are about to follow, please watch my video on understanding amplifier measurements.

Buckeye NC252MP Amplifier Measurements
We start with our 5 watt dashboard into 4 ohm:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier dashboard measurement.png

Nice and competent, landing in our top bracket of all amplifiers tested:
Best stereo class D amplifier review.png

Best stereo class D amplifier zoomed review.png

Noise performance is excellent:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier SNR measurement.png

Frequency response is flat in audible band and load independent (not all class D amps are):
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier frequency response measurement.png

Crosstalk is excellent:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier Channel Separation measurement.png

Intermodulation distortion is very low:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier Multitone measurement.png

Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier 19 20 kHz intermodulation distortion measurement.png

You buy the amp for power so let's see how much we have:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier power 4 ohm measurement.png

Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier max and peak power 4 ohm measurement.png

Nice to see it meet spec.
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier power 8 ohm measurement.png

The amp passes reactive loads at 8 and 4 ohms. At 2 ohm, it would go into protection before reaching peak power:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier reactive voltage measurement.png

Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier reactive Power measurement.png

Non-linearity does increase at higher frequencies, and there is noticeable power drop at 20 Hz:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier Power 4 ohm vs frequency measurement.png

EDIT: a later run of this test produced lower distortion at 20 Hz. I meant to post it but made a mistake and post the older one:
index.php

There is good bit of power on/off noise:

Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier Pop on off measurement.png

Amp is stable on power up:
Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier measurement.png

Conclusions
The NC252MP delivers the promise of the hypex class D module, producing competent and above average performance in every measured category. It is light and easy to carry. And produces good bit of power without much heat.

I am going to recommend the Buckeye N252MP.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

chris256

This device obviously has problems in bass range and power on / off problems. In short: broken by design. Sorry to say that. This also works much better today.

martijn86

At this point how much is there to be said about these class D module amps? It's certainly an amplifier :)

Boring reviews are best reviews. No drama means excellent design and transparency.

BeQuietZen

@amirm thanks for one more professional review. :)

Can we safely assume that this latest version of Hypex NC252MP module going from bad to worse with only 50 clean watts per channel at 20 Hz?
This is not a critique of assembler Buckeye, but Hypex. They need to move forward, we are closing 2023 and they straggling to push new improved moduls in their "budget" line of amps.

BTW, I voted "fine". There is a lot more inferior amps for the money than this fine amp. ;)

Last edited:

BeQuietZen

It doesn't clip until 111 watts at 20 hz. Not 50.
I didn't comment about clipping, but clean power before distortion rise. If we go by the clipping numbers, we have close results with Fosi Audio V3 (48V PSU and strictly 20 Hz measurement, nothing else compered).

11 Fosi Audio V3 stereo amplifier budget Power 4 ohm vs frequency measurement.png

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
I had forgotten how much the prices had increased... It looks like they used a HIFI 2000 ECO enclosure @$25 (from modushop)... I admit that for $575 we are left wanting....
Get any Audiophonics instead or any IOM NCore 252 with a solid aluminium case .... Best quality price ratio

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
One poster above claims the 20Hz and switch-on 'pops' performance is sub standard... I'd like to respectfully remind them that thirty odd years ago, the worst case distortion performance here in this amp was common in the MIDRANGE of the best reviewed amps back then and so many 'enthusiast' and commercial less expoensive far eastern made amps back then often fell over at anything less than a four ohm load, leading to the rise and rise of huge amps able to drive almost a short circuit with massive power!

I'd say this is a great little power amp for normal usage domestically with plenty of power for most domestic concerns. I'd ask if any countersunk screws and holes were available for the side screws in an attempt to neaten appearance slightly, but that's it really for the price!

Top Bottom