• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

grobalt

If it were something designed from scratch I could understand it taking a long time but isn't the manufacturer in the SMPS business, with several similar products already on the market for quite some time?
No argument ... How long does it take to design other products that are twice the power of the previous? If it is that easy, why does it take years to double for other products?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention review testers who think it's ok to operate an amp continuously at full rated power.
When testing class A/AB amps (Thousands of them.) I ran them at full power @ 1kHz sine wave for several minutes or more. It's the only way to determine if the repair was stable and successful. So it's only natural to want to test class D amps to clipping.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No argument ... How long does it take to design other products that are twice the power of the previous? If it is that easy, why does it take years to double for other products?

They make several 1200W smps currently. I would think scaling it up wouldn't present that big a challenge for a company that specialized in SMPS products...

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They make several 1200W smps currently. I would think scaling it up wouldn't present that big a challenge for a company that specialized in SMPS products...
Not a challenge. More so wanting to get it right.
And the 1200w currently available is a different topology (meant to only run one channel, need to take extra steps to run multi channel similar to how the Hypex 3k is).

The 2kW is designed to run multi channel without precaution/extra steps (no need to reverse phase or keep above 100Hz to avoid pumping).

There was also a shortage of parts for the test units that hit earlier in summer.

In the end, while I originally overshot my initial eta back in the spring announcement, for those who can keep waiting I will be offering a decent discount/refund. As I know it has been an impatient inconvenience.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
n the end, while I originally overshot my initial eta back in the spring announcement, for those who can keep waiting I will be offering a decent discount/refund. As I know it has been an impatient inconvenience.
Without pre-ordering now, is there an official waiting list a man (fan) can get on? :D

goryu

@Buckeye Amps

We are into September now- where do things stand with the three channel amps and the new smps? Is there a new eta? Thanks.

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps

We are into September now- where do things stand with the three channel amps and the new smps? Is there a new eta? Thanks.

Yes, it will show up soon.

We had some delays in manufacturing the inductors and sourcing some components.

Thanks

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Soon, like early next week, or soon, in a month or two?
A limited batch of the SMPS' will be in my hands soon (a couple of weeks likely). Once verified for final testing/use, those can be used for assembly based on the order of the waiting list (which I can say you are first/second on).
The full production run of larger quantities will follow behind that by about a month or two.

goryu

A limited batch of the SMPS' will be in my hands soon (a couple of weeks likely). Once verified for final testing/use, those can be used for assembly based on the order of the waiting list (which I can say you are first/second on).
The full production run of larger quantities will follow behind that by about a month or two.

So practically speaking, we are still at least a month or more out from shipping anything, and likely near the end of the year for others. That's disappointing but thanks for the update.

goryu

I would like it to be right as well but I can't say I am happy to have these dates keep sliding.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
When will @amirm have the Buckeye NCx500 for testing? Thank you.
No plans yet. I also know he is super busy right now (still has our Purifi 7040 in his queue).
There is another reviewer on the web getting one of our 2ch NCx500’s in the coming weeks.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to upload a picture of the inside of the Buckeye Stereo NCx500?

I noticed the Buckeye stereo NCx500 case is slightly smaller than the monoBlock. Any idea why that is? Or is it an error on the description? Thank you!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I will be updating photos soon. The case is smaller, as the Mono case had to be enlarged to accommodate the Micro Audio SMPS for the 7040 config.

The internal layout of the 2ch NCx500 is exactly the same as the 2ch Purifi.

grobalt

Active PFC, continuous power .. and I will find out more when I receive the new model :)

Top Bottom