• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

Well, they are, although in this case I meant stand-by (specifically, waiting on 12V trigger).

I had missed MicroAudio's August 14th post (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urifi-amplifier-review-2nd.43834/post-1687013), or if I read it I didn't make the connection -- my apologies for the repetition AND the imprecision. Now I have to decide if I want the rackmount option or not :)

Also standby is more relevant for an amp that has auto-on and off. Idle is going to depend more on the load (in this case the NCx500s). Hypex spec says about 6 watts per module. So know it is already at least 18 watts. Could measure the test unit but is not final production so will wait for now. :cool:

Here is the first 3ch NCx500 build. The SMPS is very beefy.

I have one last round of testing (sending off to Rick for an ‘independent’ testers stress testing as well as mine). But the full production run of the SMPS will begin shortly (some major components are already ordered to help save time).
Are there any plans to use the larger power supplies to make Purifi 1ET400A amplifiers with a greater number of channels (than the 3 currently offered)?

Are there any plans to use the larger power supplies to make Purifi 1ET400A amplifiers with a greater number of channels (than the 3 currently offered)?
Maybe down the road, but it is not on the immediate list of evolution for our product lines

How many channels do you want and what is the use case?

I hate saying no to customers but as most have heard me say before: spending the money on Purifi/NCx modules for speakers past either a 2ch or 3ch LCR setup is not really worth the price difference over say the NC252 or NC502.

Oh, and they would all be mono block configuration!

o_O

:oops: :rolleyes: ;)
Oh DuH! Silly me thought you would be happy with 2 power supplies....LoL. :D I fear the thermal characteristics of such a 11 channel mono-block configuration would be challenging to say the least. Unless it was a unconventional case size and odd dimensions.

Oh DuH! Silly me thought you would be happy with 2 power supplies....LoL. :D I fear the thermal characteristics of such a 11 channel mono-block configuration would be challenging to say the least. Unless it was a unconventional case size and odd dimensions.

Like this?

I hate saying no to customers but as most have heard me say before: spending the money on Purifi/NCx modules for speakers past either a 2ch or 3ch LCR setup is not really worth the price difference over say the NC252 or NC502.
Hi Dylan, with the advent of Dolby Atmos music which makes extensive use of the surrounds, I think this has changed.

Hi Dylan, with the advent of Dolby Atmos music which makes extensive use of the surrounds, I think this has changed.
Even in those setups, I would bet a good amount an audible difference coming out of the surrounds or even Atmos would not be discernible between an NC502 vs a Purifi/NCx

I’m just curious about upcoming options. This is for an 11 channel setup. Will likely go with a 3 channel + 8 channel amp.

Thanks, that makes sense. As @Buckeye Amps has pointed out previously, the surround channels are usually adequately served by more value-focused amplification.

Even my use case for active speakers does not require much power in the upper frequencies. If I go for the overkill, could still be done with 2 2-channel amps. For packaging, one 4-channel amp would be convenient. This would allow for those with needing more power for surround speakers to use 2 of them. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes sense. As @Buckeye Amps has pointed out previously, the surround channels are usually adequately served by more value-focused amplification.

Even my use case for active speakers does not require as much power in the upper frequencies. If I go for the overkill, could still be done with 2 2-channel amps. For packaging, one 4-channel amp would be convenient. This would allow for those with needing more power for surround speakers to use 2 of them. :cool:

Yes. The Hypex amps with built in power supplies are more cost effective, but I do wonder what’s possible as an alternative to products like the NAD Purifi models.

Any future plans for 2 channels 1ET7040SA?

900W X 2 channels would be great option indeed, or 900W x 3 channels :cool:

I've now had my NCx500 2 channel amp from buckeye for a few days. And it's amazing.

Hooked up to Audiovector R3 Arrete speakers which are ultra revealing, This amp makes these speakers sing!

Last edited:
Happy Holidays to all! Please be aware that any new orders placed as of today will not ship out until after Christmas. Thank you to everyone for making Buckeye Amps a huge success in the audio world!

I am very hopeful available before Christmas. The production run normally takes 8wks but as I said, we are doing a few things to speed that up.

Definitely missed the early eta of Q3 I had hoped for. But in the end it is better everything is tested and working perfectly, of course.
Hi Dylan, are we still on track for shipments of the 3-channel before Christmas?

Back
Top Bottom