• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

Espiritiv

Did you ask Hypex about warranty or is this just your opinion? I asked about mods and they clearly stated they would void warranty.

Hypex use of RTV to reduce shock and vibration issues is by design. So would be part of the testing they do. While acknowledging your suggestion to test first, not everyone has a good thermal camera. A pair of scissors is much more accessible.

I have had these discussions with Hypex and it would be relevant. It could also be relevant to the manufacturer as the modules are warrantied by Hypex to them. I considered becoming an authorized Hypex repairer and my understanding is Hypex would honor their warranty regardless. No buck passing as you allude.

One camera angle on one case design is hardly a major problem. I have other cases and the LED brightness is not a major concern. Am sure Buckeye or his customers are smart enough to employ simple mitigations if needed.:)
PS.....ANYBODY now can afford a GOOD thermal camera.

tesseractASR

What do you think the benefit of more than 2 subs would be?
More room coverage for multiple listeners. Distortion would be lowered at bass FR. Those are two basic improvements. There could be some benefits when Dirac Live Bass Control comes out, which is my main reason for wanting more subs.

As it is, there is only one listening position in this room at this time and one sub with XT32 correction is doing a fine job.

tesseractASR

Love my subs but can't imagine having more than two of them. I looked a the Classic 9's but thought a passive tower + subs would be the best of all worlds for various music genre's (classical, bossa nova, electronic, rock) and then LFE for the subs for movies. Just noticed the new Denon A1H has balanced inputs. Seriously hope that trend catches on so we can use desktop DACs. Haven't read about an AVP or AVR that can touch that level of quality yet.
The Classic 9 is all-passive. I spent a week with the 15A and loved it, but don't see the point in powered subs with ARC as I will be using active subs with the mains high passed.

The A1H is attractive and I am a fan of XLR. I'm gonna wait for the Dirac dust to settle before considering moving up the Denon chain to a flagship, whatever it may be. All I need for now is 5.2 capability, with the option to go 5.4.4.

tesseractASR

What is the rating of your circuit breaker 15amp?
Yes. I have 2 available and will spread out the load, but it is not really necessary. I am in an apartment and average SPL levels are 75-85 dBC.

ML says to use many hours (40, 90, I can't remember) a 90dB to break in the panels. That ain't gonna happen.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More room coverage for multiple listeners. Distortion would be lowered at bass FR. Those are two basic improvements. There could be some benefits when Dirac Live Bass Control comes out, which is my main reason for wanting more subs.

As it is, there is only one listening position in this room at this time and one sub with XT32 correction is doing a fine job.
At sub frequencies, where human ears don't have much sense of direction, even one or two provide full room coverage. The only benefit of multiple subs I can think of is for evening/averaging out resonances.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At sub frequencies, where human ears don't have much sense of direction, even one or two provide full room coverage. The only benefit of multiple subs I can think of is for evening/averaging out resonances.

If you haven't, look into distributed bass arrays and the use of 3 or 4 subs. Geddes wrote on the subject extensively.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you haven't, look into distributed bass arrays and the use of 3 or 4 subs. Geddes wrote on the subject extensively.
Not everybody agrees with his views.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MusicMan77

Back on the subject of Dylan's latest amps - now that I've had them setup and running for a while I'll offer up my entirely humble amateur review. You can see my system setup below in my signature and I'll let you know I'm moving over from the Peachtree GaN400 which was an "ok" amp. It lacked depth and clarity. It felt somewhat muddled and stale. I'll also note that these are the first monoblocks I've owned so my history with them is limited to say the least. All that being said @BuckeyeAmps impress on all fronts. There's an immediacy to the sound and power.....so much power. The sound stage is broad and deep with detail for days. Using Tidal to play classical or bossa nova is pure joy. I don't use my subs for those genre's and you don't really need them. The woofers in my towers suddenly came to life with these amps. The Peachtree just couldn't push them like the Buckeye's despite a claimed 400w/ch. But what I notice so much clarity. I mean CRYSTAL clear sound that I haven't heard before. A fog was lifted off my system and the 'stats now sound like I originally thought they should. The sound just appears before you and there's so much of it. Transients and decay are all there in fully glory. I turn on my subs for electronic and rock and I'll crank it up. Holy Pete are these amps up for the task. I feel like He-Man..."I have the power!!!" For movies, these amps can absolutely hammer away with the biggest of explosions and never break a sweat...and I have them at the low gain setting for now. They barely get warm so hats off to all the Class D efficiency. I'm thinking I'll move to mid gain and re-run ARC and see how it goes. I'm incredibly happy with my purchase and will look to replace my Outlaw to an 8-channel NC502 in the future when funds become available and I finally install Atmos speakers. Thanks to Dylan for producing these wonderful amps!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Talk is cheap. If and when you have something that is more than opinion, let me know.
Likewise. Have a good rest of the day.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Likewise. Have a good rest of the day.
Geddes has done considerable research in the field- his PhD thesis was on distributed bass. I'm inclined to give his opinions, based on research based findings, more weight than cheap talk on an internet forum. Again, feel free to post any actual research that disproves his work here. Enjoy your garden.

Last edited:

glc650

The only benefit of multiple subs I can think of is for evening/averaging out resonances.
Also for headroom. More subs you have the less you have to drive each one to reach desired overall output.

tesseractASR

Also for headroom. More subs you have the less you have to drive each one to reach desired overall output.
Right, which also lowers distortion, as I pointed out earlier.

There really aren't any bad reasons to add more subs IF they are properly integrated.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding a sub only adds 3 dB of headroom. Barely audible difference. You can accomplish the same with a sub and amp capable of more power.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on that logic, you should also have 4 (or 18, or 16) main speakers.

glc650

Adding a sub only adds 3 dB of headroom. Barely audible difference. You can accomplish the same with a sub and amp capable of more power.
A lot of people don't have room for a large sub in their room or can't place it in the best location. Nothing wrong with buying 2 (or even 3) smaller subs instead.

Top Bottom