• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Saranna (fullrange, cardioid active floorstander) development thread

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
EDIT 2024-03-13:
Some adjustments to the specifications since the first prototype:
Cardioid response now expected down to about 150hz
Coax is now an 8"

Updated illustration in this post:

ORIGINAL POST:

Thank you to everyone who have followed our other development threads, time for a new one, and you're coming along for the ride from very early days! I haven't even decided on a name for this one yet. Assuming we end up with a production model of this, that is 18-24 months into the future.

Sigberg Audio is currently known for loudspeaker systems consisting of monitors and subwoofers. There are two obvious segments of the market that we cannot reach with our current products:
1) Those who prefer floorstanders.
2) Those who do not want subwoofers.

This new speaker will address both those points. I'm now starting the development of a Sigberg Audio fullrange, active cardioid floorstander!

(Early design sketches, subject to change completely)
1700930195630.png

1700930213422.png

Some key characteristics (subject to change):
  • Huge soundstage, and rich, natural in-room sound (in line with other Sigberg Audio products)
  • True full range (20-20,000hz) in-room response
  • Cardioid midbass and midrange
  • 3-way design; Coax driver to cover the midrange and highs, Dual, heavy duty 8" drivers (fs: 25hz) to cover the bass and subbass
  • Ported enclosure, with the option to seal it with included foam plug.
  • As our other designs, placement close to the wall will be supported (but further out on the floor will work too).
  • Simple presets (click a button on the back) for bass/placement adjustments, plus full 9 band EQ onboard for taming those room modes
  • Dedicated preset for mating the speakers with our subwoofers; This presets introduces a high pass in the speakers, matching our subwoofers perfectly.
(Very) Preliminary specifications:
  • Ported (rear facing) enclosure
  • 5.5" paper midrange, 1" silk dome (coax driver)
  • Dual 8" (22cm) aluminium bass drivers
  • 107x35x32cm (HWD)
  • 28-20,000hz (+/-3dB anechoic)
  • Typical in-room extension: 20hz (-3dB)
  • Cardioid from ~250hz
  • 3-channel, 650W Hypex amplifier in each speaker

Early prototypes:
1700922263550.png

Some preliminary measurements, Disclaimer: preliminary, subject to change, in-room @ listening position.
More detailed measurements to come later.

Current in-room response at listening position in the room above with the speakers 10-15cm (4-6 inches) from the wall (left+right+avg):
1700922426676.png

10-200hz in-room (listening position, no subwoofer, no smoothing). Note that reference level is 75dB (avg of 300-5,000hz).
Relative to the reference level, in-room -3dB point is 22hz, and -6dB is 16hz.
1700922507835.png

To be continued... :D

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Looks very promising and impressive. I predict that it will be out of reach for me, but at least I have 24 month to change that...;)

Thank you! Yes, this will not be a budget speaker. And yes, still some time to save up! :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have looked through ‘rays’ and nothing really jumps out after ‘Manta’ , what about Gamma ( ray) also the title of a Beck song I really like!
New speaker looks really exciting,
Keith

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have looked through ‘rays’ and nothing really jumps out after ‘Manta’ , what about Gamma ( ray) also the title of a Beck song I really like!
Keith

Yes, don't know yet. I've considered something that somehow alludes to the fact that they are fullrange (since the rest of our speakers are not, and also since they will go deeper than most floorstanders, creeping down to subwoofer territory). But at the same time they have great qualities in the rest of the frequency range with the coax and the cardioid, so it's not all about bass either. We'll see. :)

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Keith
Not 'Sting'?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I naturally imagined that the Manta was named after the Pixies track you being a man of such urbane good taste.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I thought only I was that old, Stingray had Marina in it wan’t she a mermaid?

Jörmungandr lived in the very deepest ocean did it not?

Keith

Last edited:

Emlin

I thought only I was that old, Stingray had Marina in it wan’t she a mermaid?

Jörmungandr lived in the very deepest ocean did it not?

Keith
Not strictly a mermaid, but some aquatic species or other. Sort of link with Star Trek TNG where Marina Sirtis played Deanna Troi, and Troy Tempest was captain of Stingray.

I lead a sad life...

PS. Jörmungandr, from Norse mythology, would coincidentally make a fine name for a speaker!

Last edited:

al2002

Preliminary data looks good. For those who are fanatical, would a subwoofer output be available on each speaker? If so, please arrange for the mains to be delayed relative to the subwoofer in DSP.

Also, can you comment on directivity. Coax drivers usually have relatively narrow directivity, would appreciate more details. Is the coax A SEAS Driver..

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Preliminary data looks good. For those who are fanatical, would a subwoofer output be available on each speaker? If so, please arrange for the mains to be delayed relative to the subwoofer in DSP.

Also, can you comment on directivity. Coax drivers usually have relatively narrow directivity, would appreciate more details. Is the coax A SEAS Driver..

Each speaker will have XLR through that can be used for connecting dual subwoofers.

With regards to directivity, you're looking at +/-50 degrees typically from our speakers.

This is the same coax that is used on the Sigberg Audio Manta and the Sigberg Audio SBS.1 (not Seas, it's from Sica), full measurements of both were recently shared:

The Manta has a similar chamber for the coax (cardioid), here is the horizontal directivity of that speaker:
SPL%20Horizontal%20Contour.jpg
manta-hor-contour.png

Last edited:

Salt

Forum Donor
  • Ported enclosure, with the option to seal it with included foam plug
    contradicts
  • As our other designs, placement close to the wall will be supported
    Doesn't?

OldTimer

• 3-channel, 650W Hypex amplifier in each speaker
Is this 2 x 3 x 650W or just 2 x 650W?

poopy

Another project from Thorbjoern.... we can't stop him anymore! Another very clever speaker design, congratulations!

Well, Keith I'm afraid you're going to see me again.... By the time you'll have the T-Shirt and the shorts Sigberg Audio! :cool:

Wish you all the success with this new design. I knew you had a plan to content the ones who are adverse to subs....

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
  • Ported enclosure, with the option to seal it with included foam plug
    contradicts
  • As our other designs, placement close to the wall will be supported
    Doesn't?

Feel free to elaborate, and we can discuss! :)

al2002

Each speaker will have XLR through that can be used for connecting dual subwoofers.

With regards to directivity, you're looking at +/-50 degrees typically from our speakers.

This is the same coax that is used on the Sigberg Audio Manta and the Sigberg Audio SBS.1 (not Seas, it's from Sica), full measurements of both were recently shared:

The Manta has a similar chamber for the coax (cardioid), here is the horizontal directivity of that speaker:
SPL%20Horizontal%20Contour.jpg
Hello Sigberg Audio,

Thanks for the additional information. The directivity is not as narrow as some other coaxes I’ve seen.

Regarding the subwoofer output, perhaps I should make it clear that a time delay is required in the main speaker in order to properly integrate with subwoofers. As an example, consider a typical apartment dweller who puts the main speakers on either side of the flat screen television But due to space constrains he must put the woofers in a corner, say a ceiling corner. So let us look at some numbers. Let’s say the main speakers are 2.75 meters from the listing position and the woofers are further two meters behind in the ceiling corners. To properly integrate the woofers and the main speakers we need to take into account the time delay due to propagation of sound and also due to the low pass nature of the woofer crossover, so the only way to handle this properly is to delay the main speakers by several milliseconds relative to the woofers. May I propose a time delay of up to 15 ms adjustable by the user. This should not be too difficult to implement in the DSP. thats already in the main speakers.

I like this concept and look forward to further developments. Do you have a target price or date in mind?

Last edited:
Top Bottom