• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 123 40.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.3%

• Total voters

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Because it's a power amp, not an integrated amp.
Or was your question assuming you had to use a dac as a pre? I wouldn't trust them, but everyone is free to do as they wish
Wouldn’t trust them…with your wife?
Yes just use the dacs attenuation,
Keith

Overseas

Major Contributor
So, as I already said, no DAC with volume control, is there any preamp designed to go with this amp in their offer?

TheWalkman

What would be a legit preamp for this, in Audiophonics offer, just to avoid any possible issues with DACs variable volume output?
I use a Topping E70 with their Purifi (S400) amp. The trigger works great and aesthetically, the white dbm LED matches the white power button that Audiophonics uses.

Though I probably didn’t need the extra power of the Purifi, @amirms great review pushed me over the edge last Summer and I pulled the trigger.

Two key results:

I couldn’t be happier with the quality and enormous sound of the Audiophonics amp;

I no longer lust for one day, “upgrading” to a Benchmark amp. The Benchmark lust is completely g-o-n-e.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There can be a little click with these amp modules - but nothing which harms a tweeter or speaker. They don't have relais at the output which is a big benefit (cause they get bad over the years) - so I for sure take the little click instead.

The module itself should achieve 123dB S/N - the input of it is differential, maybe the unsymetrical input is catching some humm. Speakers with "normal" sensitivity will not make that audible in some distance, with high sensitivity speakers you could try the symmetrical version, it could be better there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why do most of these amps have power on/off noise?

Pretty much all amplifiers will make a discernible noise on power up-speaker connection and power down disconnection.

With class A/AB and D the severity of the noise will depend on several factors. The largest contributor of turn on/off noise is DC offset, and with delayed connection to the speakers (relay/muting/mosfet switching), the 'pop' will be variable. DC offset varies due to ambient temperature and some designs allow for +/-150mV as a 'normal' range. Others keep to within +/-0-20mV. In other words, one day it might be a loud pop, another day silent and still be perfectly fine.

In short, the turn on/off time plot is interesting, but doesn't tell you how 'your' identical model will perform. It may have a lot more 'pop' noise or a lot less.

Last edited:

gegegege

On my KEF R3, will I hear significant difference between this and the $70 aiyima a07? Or some $2000 amps?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On my KEF R3, will I hear significant difference between this and the $70 aiyima a07? Or some $2000 amps?

Define significant? A07 has load dependent frequency response which will likely result in audible differences compared to the NC252MP. See measurements from @pma here -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-lm4562-and-opa2134-option.19155/#post-629539. Will these be significant? Probably depends on the listener.

I doubt there is a difference from a noise / distortion perspective other than the A07 will run out of power sooner.

Michael

PDS

Sorry if I missed this, but what is the gain on this amplifier?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
25.6 dB (unmodified from a stock NC252MP module).

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 8.24.51 PM.png

Michael

dyprivatei

Anybody else having heat problems with this amp?
Mine is really hot to the touch and it's actually heating the room so much that it's uncomfortable (don't have AC). It's in a media unit but has plenty of room around it. I guess I'll try moving it on top.
I'm loving the sound but might have to sell it if I basically can't use it during the summer months.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Aiyima's high frequency response depends on speaker load. To the extent you hear that high up, the sound may be brighter or less bright than it should be. This amp fixes that and produces more power to boot. Some other $2000 amp may or may not be better until we measure it.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody else having heat problems with this amp?
Mine is really hot to the touch and it's actually heating the room so much that it's uncomfortable (don't have AC). It's in a media unit but has plenty of room around it. I guess I'll try moving it on top.
I'm loving the sound but might have to sell it if I basically can't use it during the summer months.
That's very strange because I have mine in a cabinet and I just went over and touched them all over and they've been running for hours and very little heat is coming from them.

dyprivatei

Yeah I just tested it with a thermometer and the top of the case is consistently sitting at 45°C. I haven't seen anyone report that kind of heat so it seems like there's an issue with the unit I received.
I've messaged Audiophonics after sale service so hopefully they can help resolve the issue.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought an XLR version so I can run it with my RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I'm already running three with my Denon AVR. I think I'm going to put Hello Kitty stickers on it.

Top Bottom