• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascendo Immersive Audio CCM5-P/The 5 Passive

norll

I am looking at the Ascendo Immersive Audio CCM5-P/The 5 Passive speaker. It is the smallest speaker in the Ascendo range, featuring a 5 1/4" coax point source driver (https://www.aia-cinema.com/products/speakers/the5-passive-on-wall.html). This speaker is quite unique in that it is only 75mm deep (3"). I am considering this speaker for a small home theatre (14 m2).

Ascendo Immersive Audio has CEA2034 data for several of their speakers. The report is here: https://www.aia-cinema.com/products/Arhiv/CCM5P/CCM5P_-_Measurements_Report.pdf

What do you think about these measurements? To me they look decent, but the dip at 700-1200Hz me a bit concerned.

1705675691902.png

There is also a Ascendo Immersive Audio CCM6-P/The 6 Passive speaker. This measures a bit different, without the dip at 700-1200Hz. This one perhaps has some more problems above 6000Hz? The report is here: https://www.aia-cinema.com/products/Arhiv/CCM6P/CCM6P_-_Measurements_Report.pdf

1705675765343.png

montyliam

They seem like decent passive attempts at coaxials, with the common problems associated with coaxes. IMO, only a few manufacturers, namely Genelec and KEF, have really cracked coaxials. The rest of the offerings have been a significant compromise on FR for the advantages of using coax drivers.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems pretty mediocre, the excessive smoothing is only doing a little to hide obvious directivity errors. As the previous poster, this isn't competitive with Kef. But if 3" depth is a requirement for you, I doubt you're going to do much better.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this seems totally fine, and given the size requirements, quite good. A coaxial with some typical coaxial problems, but otherwise very solid. For some perspective for OP, imo the original KEF LS50 (non-meta) had way worse issues than this, even taking smoothing into account.

Keep in mind that dips are less likely to be heard than peaks (harder to notice something that isn't there than something that is excessive). There are a few resonances obsured by the smoothing, but again, nothing excessive. In the case of the 6's, I highly doubt the issues above 6khz will be all that consequential. Common for coaxials, and I've only noticed these things in listening tests very occasionally. The directivity issues at around 1khz seems minimal especially as it's barely present in the early reflections, and I'd much rather have a directivity issue at 8+ khz than anywhere lower, as our perception is more tied to the on-axis sound at those high frequencies anyway.

As it happens, I've been looking for shallow, horizontal-ish speakers to use as a center channel with my UST projector between the projector and the screen. As amir has found with his thin soundbar hunt, and although his requirements are slighlty different from mine, the decent options are vanishingly small! The 6 "Narrow" version caught my eye in particular as it would be absolutely perfect(although measurements for that model are missing), but they don't seem to be available in the US

Last edited:
Top Bottom