• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I think you are expecting the AVR to reduce the level of the center signal by 3db relative to the left and right signals because it's being sent to two speakers. It seems like the 3db increase is because you have two speakers replicating the center signal instead of 1. Level matching manually wont solve that problem. You should try running ARC with it set up as 4.1 in the speaker configuration and see if it is smart enough to drop the center signal by 3db relative to the left and right specific signals.

nathan

Agreed. I think you are expecting the AVR to reduce the level of the center signal by 3db relative to the left and right signals because it's being sent to two speakers. It seems like the 3db increase is because you have two speakers replicating the center signal instead of 1. Level matching manually wont solve that problem. You should try running ARC with it set up as 4.1 in the speaker configuration and see if it is smart enough to drop the center signal by 3db relative to the left and right specific signals.
I don’t get it. It shouldn’t be necessary to run arc to have the center channel contents played back at the correct level relative to the other channels.

I don’t expect surround back channels to be 3db extra loud when downmixed and played back by the surround left and surround right channels when playing 7.1 content in a 5.1 speaker system.

So why should the center channel content, when downmixed and played back by the front left and front right speakers in a 2.1 or 4.1 or 6.1 system be 3db extra loud?

nathan

I think they did, if you play contents that has the center channel, but you are relying on the phantom center effect, that's how the AVM works, according to their explanation. We may not like their response, but I think they are just giving us a honest anwer.
It’s an honest answer but I’ll bet it’s not how Dolby specifies downmixing for Dolby content.

nathan

All that being said using REW in a normal room to test this is probably not too precise. Room gain and different boundary conditions between the various speakers could easily create a 3db difference. The real test is probably taking the preamp output direct into REW or similar software.

StigErik

Forum Donor
Agree with that. I will measure the pre outs and present the results later today. That is … in about 15 hours or so. Still early morning here….

StigErik

Forum Donor
I came to think of the fact that the subwoofers are the same for all channels. There lies the evidence for acoustic in-room measurements. If the center channel upmix to front L and R is correct, the center channel content played by the subwoofers should measure the same as when using a center speaker, provided that the bass management crossovers are equal. Agree?

Last edited:

StigErik

Forum Donor
IMG_0450.png

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t get it. It shouldn’t be necessary to run arc to have the center channel contents played back at the correct level relative to the other channels.

I don’t expect surround back channels to be 3db extra loud when downmixed and played back by the surround left and surround right channels when playing 7.1 content in a 5.1 speaker system.

So why should the center channel content, when downmixed and played back by the front left and front right speakers in a 2.1 or 4.1 or 6.1 system be 3db extra loud?
What content has 7.1 down mixed to 5.1? Any 7.1 content I have ever seen has a 5.1 mix which is what is sent when your system doesn't have 7.1. the reason it's not 3db louder is because you are receiving native 5.1 and the AVR is not having to do the work itself.

My expectation for why the center channel content is 3db louder is: to create the phantom center is you have to play the same content out of both speakers at the same exact volume level for it to sound like it's exactly between them. When you play the same content at the same volume from two speakers the volume at the listening position is 3db louder than if it was from one. That means for the center content to actually be perceived at the listening position at the same volume as the left or right speaker normal content, the AVR must pre process and adjust the levels discreetly when it splits the signal into left and right. I believe the AVRs room correction software needs to be used for it to be aware that the center channel signal needs to be split and adjusted separately before being mixed into the left and right channel.

StigErik

Forum Donor
My expectation for why the center channel content is 3db louder is: to create the phantom center is you have to play the same content out of both speakers at the same exact volume level for it to sound like it's exactly between them. When you play the same content at the same volume from two speakers the volume at the listening position is 3db louder than if it was from one. That means for the center content to actually be perceived at the listening position at the same volume as the left or right speaker normal content, the AVR must pre process and adjust the levels discreetly when it splits the signal into left and right.

The question is - why can't the AVM70 do this right without having to turn on room correction? That is - reduce the center content by 3dB in a phantom center speaker setup.

It remains to be seen if the ARC room correction will solve this problem. Like I said - I will test this later today.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is - why can't the AVM70 do this right without having to turn on room correction? That is - reduce the center content by 3dB in a phantom center speaker setup.

It remains to be seen if the ARC room correction will solve this problem. Like I said - I will test this later today.
On that, I agree, but how do you let the AVM70 know you are downmixing 5.1, 7.1 etc., to 2.1? Did you press the mode button on the remote and select "stereo"?

StigErik

Forum Donor
The AVM will (or should) know that by itself when a 4.1 or 2.1 speaker profile is selected, and the input signal is 5.1 or 7.1

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they did, if you play contents that has the center channel, but you are relying on the phantom center effect, that's how the AVM works, according to their explanation. We may not like their response, but I think they are just giving us a honest anwer.
But it shouldn’t do that according to the Dolby spec I offered a few posts up? The only exception is if it’s a MCH PCM issue. @StigErik just needs to find an old Dolby test DVD/Blu-Ray (Pixar/Disney Blu-Rays used to include audio test tones) and I think Netflix has audio test tones with their test patterns. If Dolby processing is correct it’s an issue with PCM. If Dolby processing is incorrect, it’s a bug.

StigErik

Forum Donor
I don't have any Dolby encoded discs with test tones, but let some old classics with mono sound. In theory at least, that mono should be in the center channel... I hope :)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any Dolby encoded discs with test tones, but let some old classics with mono sound. In theory at least, that mono should be in the center channel... I hope :)

Very hard to find in search for whatever reason

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But it shouldn’t do that according to the Dolby spec I offered a few posts up? The only exception is if it’s a MCH PCM issue. @StigErik just needs to find an old Dolby test DVD/Blu-Ray (Pixar/Disney Blu-Rays used to include audio test tones) and I think Netflix has audio test tones with their test patterns. If Dolby processing is correct it’s an issue with PCM. If Dolby processing is incorrect, it’s a bug.
I read that link right after you posted, thanks. It depends on whether the unit knows to "downmix" from X.1 to 2.1, otherwise what's in the link may not apply. I asked OP the question, please read the OP's response post 774.

StigErik

Forum Donor

Very hard to find in search for whatever reason
Thanks, but I don't have Netflix.

Will check out a mono sound Blu-ray disc later today.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom