• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

StigErik

Forum Donor
The AVM 70 converts DSD to PCM anyway, so the DSP is not bypassed. Room correction, bass management, tone controls etc are still working with native DSD input.

rynberg

Forum Donor
The AVM 70 converts DSD to PCM anyway, so the DSP is not bypassed. Room correction, bass management, tone controls etc are still working with native DSD input.
I'm not sure that's correct. The manual states that analog audio can be passed through with no processing at all (including A->D). You can turn off ARC and bass management on inputs, so I'm not sure pure DSD is automatically converted. Could you point out where in the manual this is stated?

EDIT: in fact, it appears from users on AVS that the AVM 70 can play DSD files unconverted if you decide to forego any processing.

StigErik

Forum Donor
The manual leaves no clues here sadly. However, the “convert analog” option that bypasses all DSP is only available on analog inputs. With any digital input, including HDMI, it is not available. For this reason I doubt that it can do DSD native. Anyway, it does not matter at all.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

StigErik

Forum Donor
How should AVRs in general handle the level of the center channel signal in a speaker setup without a center channel speaker, like with a 4.1 setup? I’ve found that my AVM70 just sends the center input to both front L and R speakers without any attenuation, resulting in the center channel signal being 3dB too loud. I’ve found no way do adjust it either….

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure that's correct. The manual states that analog audio can be passed through with no processing at all (including A->D). You can turn off ARC and bass management on inputs, so I'm not sure pure DSD is automatically converted. Could you point out where in the manual this is stated?

EDIT: in fact, it appears from users on AVS that the AVM 70 can play DSD files unconverted if you decide to forego any processing.

That is correct. AVMs can bypass A to D, MRX cannot, all have the option to not use ARCG.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The manual leaves no clues here sadly. However, the “convert analog” option that bypasses all DSP is only available on analog inputs. With any digital input, including HDMI, it is not available. For this reason I doubt that it can do DSD native. Anyway, it does not matter at all.
In you previous post you said it was native. You are correct there, why change your mind now and confuse the issue? To decode DSD natively, you do need to use digital input, and your players need to be be set to output "bitstream". The "convert analog" is an option available when you are using analog input so it does not apply to DSD native, that is applicable only if you use digital inputs.

You even included the following photo.

index.php

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How should AVRs in general handle the level of the center channel signal in a speaker setup without a center channel speaker, like with a 4.1 setup? I’ve found that my AVM70 just sends the center input to both front L and R speakers without any attenuation, resulting in the center channel signal being 3dB too loud. I’ve found no way do adjust it either….
It should be -3 dB.

Is this true for both 5.1 PCM and 5.1 DD+/TrueHD? I wonder if it’s wrong for PCM and accurate for Dolby sources only

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, but are you sure that's how it does that, and how would you know that for sure, by measurements, Anthem website info, or told by Anthem support?

StigErik

Forum Donor
I’ve only tested it with PCM input so far, which does this wrong

I contacted Anthem support about it, and received nothing but nonsense.

StigErik

Forum Donor
Interesting, but are you sure that's how it does that, and how would you know that for sure, by measurements, Anthem website info, or told by Anthem support?
Measurements using REW. Laptop connected with HDMI to the AVM70.

nathan

I’ve only tested it with PCM input so far, which does this wrong

I contacted Anthem support about it, and received nothing but nonsense.
That's disappointing. What did they say?

StigErik

Forum Donor
This is what they said…. Makes no sense at all.

My question :
Hi. I have an AVM70. I'm having trouble with phantom center (like in a 4.1 speaker setup) always being 3 dB too loud. Judged both from listening and measurements, the summed center channel signal coming from the L and R fronts is 3 dB louder with phantom center, compared to using a dedicated center channel speaker. I've tried to adjust the center level (Main Zone - Levels), but it does nothing. All my speakers are of course level matched based on REW / Umik-1 measurements. Is the phantom center supposed to work like this, or am I doing something wrong here?

Their answer:
Naturally, in the absence of a center speaker, the audio content intended for the center will be redirected to the front left and right speakers, resulting in these channels being louder. Additionally, front speakers typically have greater output capabilities than other channels. Anthem Room Correction addresses and resolves this issue.

Last edited:

nathan

This is what they said…. Makes no sense at all.

Naturally, in the absence of a center speaker, the audio content intended for the center will be redirected to the front left and right speakers, resulting in these channels being louder. Additionally, front speakers typically have greater output capabilities than other channels. Anthem Room Correction addresses and resolves this issue.
Almost like they didn’t understand the question.

This is an unfortunate bug.

StigErik

Forum Donor
Right. My question should have been clear enough. But I asked again, and got this reply

My new question:
I do find it a bit strange that it’s not possible to manually adjust the center channel level in a phantom center speaker setup, and that it’s level apparently is 3dB too loud.

I currently don’t use ARC. But how can ARC address the center channel level when there is no center speaker in a 4.1 setup?

Their response:
ARC will address the issue of the phantom center by making necessary corrections to the front channels to ensure they are not excessively loud.

StigErik

Forum Donor
And my final question to them:
I understand. But won’t that also reduce the front L and R levels? Thus making the relative level difference between center and front signals the same as before?

Their response:
Not necessarily reducing the front left and right channels, but rather optimizing them. Once you complete the setup, you will notice the difference in sound quality.

StigErik

Forum Donor
It’s almost tempting to run ARC and prove them wrong. But I’m afraid they won’t give a damn…

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost like they didn’t understand the question.

This is an unfortunate bug.
I think they did, if you play contents that has the center channel, but you are relying on the phantom center effect, that's how the AVM works, according to their explanation. We may not like their response, but I think they are just giving us a honest anwer.

Top Bottom