• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for Focal Kanta Nº2

12Many

I follow that in my speaker/headphone reviews and never see that kind of "dismissal." The dismissal comes when the data doesn't exist, or is completely unreliable. Come with data and we will have a proper discussion. A listening test for example needs to come with its protocol and statistical rigor. I heard it "blind" doesn't do it.
Amir, your post reminded me of a review you did some time ago that I really enjoyed, was helpful, and stuck with me - I scratched this product off my list. Do you feel you would have heard these differences in a blind test? Do you feel the poor test results influenced your listening opinions?

PrimaLuna Dialogue Seven Amplifier Listening Tests
I tested the amp using my lab Infinity Reference 253 tower speaker. As I have heard before (with high impedance tube amps), the bass was flabby and overloaded. It was quite annoying and obvious artifact. Whether your speaker will do the same depends on its impedance curve. Ignoring that, I cranked up the volume. Up to medium listening level if was "OK" but above that high frequency distortion started to increase proportional with volume control. This was a super annoying effect where at limit it sounded like the tweeter shouting at you.

To be sure I had not forgotten what my speaker/room sounded like, I swapped in the Topping L90 amplifier. Bass instantly tightened up and clarity improved in high frequencies. The sound was so solid and sure-footed in contrast to the Seven. There was no change in response as I turned up the volume.

My summary of this topic is that some times we can hear the difference between components and sometimes we can't . . . and that varies by person. One aspect of your review that I liked is that you provided input about the sound of the product and that you linked the sound to the measured characteristics, i.e. linked the measurements to the reasons the sound was problematic. This helps when building a system. I am now keeping an eye on damping factor, as well as matching pre-amp output impedance to amp input impedance. Thank you for the helpful reviews.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, your post reminded me of a review you did some time ago that I really enjoyed, was helpful, and stuck with me - I scratched this product off my list. Do you feel you would have heard these differences in a blind test? Do you feel the poor test results influenced your listening opinions?
Yes. Once an amplifier distorts, it is unmistakable. If I had told you about imaging, etc. you could doubt it.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you show some examples of swift dismissal of listening experiences when the data seemingly supports them?
You don't need to look further, this conversation is full of them. Keep reading...

Come with data and we will have a proper discussion.
I had shared data showing the power figures of both of the amps discussed (together with the power requirements of Kanta 2s) in this very conversation before I shared my listening experience:

Naim Supernait 2's juice is simply not enough for these speakers impedance load of which I had also shared:
they can go down to 2.3ohms at around 100Hz

and sound is clearly distorted. You keep reminding distortion is very audible:

It was quite annoying and obvious artifact. Whether your speaker will do the same depends on its impedance curve.

but interestingly only when I hear it, it's obviously bias according to everyone.

If I had told you about imaging, etc. you could doubt it.

Also, my questions about how you'd measure "imaging" with a single speaker (because you don't even test them in pairs) were completely ignored. Ok, @SIY explained it to me in scientific fashion:

I know who, who wrote the Book of Love.

For what it's worth, and I believe it was valuable info a Kanta owner (OP) could make use of, but was dismissed by bias narrative, the crossover phase linearization filter settings I shared for these speakers in this very post:

FYI I've updated Focal Kanta 2 crossover and box phase correction (polarity inverted 24db/oct at 2700Hz and 12dB/oct at 260 Hz and a time reversed 1st order all pass at the port frequency (41Hz) as below.

That time alignment between the tweeter and mid woofer will raise the combined response towards the source of higher frequencies and thus will audibly "lift" the center stage (aka image). Any speaker designer knows this. You cannot measure center stage height with an oscilloscope and a single speaker, it will have to be tested by ear in stereo. And the filter is being derived from a measurement in the first place, you need measurements to time the drivers! You don't need to remeasure to see that a second degree allpass with a bandwidth of sqrt(2) at 41Hz will shift the phase around 41Hz (although I usually re-measure after the filter is convolved for a sanity check). Similarly, you have to adjust left and right speaker phase differences with different allpass filters usually to encounter different room reflections which will shift the location of the central image. You must all have experienced center stage moving a little bit left and right with different tracks and that's almost always because not all frequencies are phase matched between your speakers. Of course, you cannot determine problem frequencies by ear, you need measurements but you will need to audibly test the filters eventually. You cannot hear a perfectly aligned and centered image somewhere else by bias. And if you do, you don't need to bother with any of this anyway.

Pre-echo (not pre-ringing and yes they are different) is a certain side effect of a time-reversed all pass filter and will show up in measurements but needs to be specifically tested for audibility (unfortunately that will need to be done by the ears!) because it's ignored by our brains to a certain extent. It was one of the bias quantification questions I asked above ALL of which were IGNORED as any other question I raised before! ;)

And some points I wanna make on how reliable "some" of the measurements you love to base everything on actually are:

Below is a suggested PEQ for a speaker after spinorama measurements and you assign comparative tonal scores to these speakers after such EQ suggestions:

1704524194413.png

and here's the Gabor limit which you repeatedly fully ignored in this conversation:

drc005.png

I understand the appeal of relying on scientific tools like spinorama, but applying a -12dB peaking filter at 13kHz with a Q of 1.44 would VERY negatively impact the audible results, potentially exceeding the limitations of the Gabor limit as seen above.

Here's what that filter will do to the peak energy arrival times of frequencies around 8kHz and how it will delay everything beyond that by nearly half a second! I know very well how that sounds because I listen to the effect of these filters but cannot tell you because you don't.

1704524308659.jpeg

While we are at it, let me say a few things about the continuous promotion of omnidirectional speakers here over directional ones disregarding room reflectivity (yes, speakers should be rated according to the rooms they are supposed to be used in - the humble German AK list I shared in this conversation correctly classifies them according to room size, reflectivity and wall proximity as well as impedance loads and min required amp power - anyone bothered even looking at it?). Additionally, directivity scores are a bit questionable IMO, too. Here's an early reflections graph from your measurements:

early-reflections-png.3259175

Ceiling reflection is causing a massive dip of around -15dB above 1,000 Hz? Unless you are living in Lilliput's island with dwarfs, no typical room first ceiling reflection dip will be above around 200-220 Hz (quite straightforward to calculate given driver distance to LP, driver height, LP height and room height) and lower than -2, -3 dB! And its harmonics would only be weaker due to surface absorptions. I am well aware, that's all produced by averaging certain reflection angles but one needs to consider the length of the beam along with its angle to calculate resonant frequencies which inevitably brings the room specifics that speaker is intended to be placed in into the equation.

Your "predicted room response curves" from spinorama measurements are only accurate way above room transient frequency and extremely inaccurate below that by your own admission:
1704525296894.png

but the fact that you're measuring in room response after the point room no longer has any effect in the sound doesn't bother anyone. Could this be one of the reasons for some to avoid listening tests at all costs because they will involve the actual room response? Just asking.

Sorry, I digress...

Lastly (as I try not to ignore questions raised to me in a conversation as I see fit):

"Nuance" has no connection to science or logic

Cheers!

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
a few things about the continuous promotion of omnidirectional speakers here over directional ones disregarding room reflectivity
I have been reading speaker reviews on ASR since Amir got the Klippel and in all discussions, I have never seen a preference for omnidirectional speakers. Your statement is either deliberately false or you don't know what you are talking about.
Maybe you refer to discussion about preference between Wide and Narrow dispersion speakers which does exist, but nobody is promoting one or the other, rather there is acknowledgment that there is a personal pereferance to on or the other. As for omnidirectional speakers, which have not been reviewed much, and which are rare, they are usually regarded as having faults of their own and they are certainly not promoted.

As for the speaker testing in mono, please, there is a book by Dr. Floyd about it, mentioned here numerously, and there are other researchers that confirm this line of testing.
The fact that you don't like that, does not make it untrue.

I said it before, you should use your time here to learn and respect the rules of this house. This is not a subjectivist forum, where everyone's opinion, based on impressions, not on scence, is valued, where finally there are many truths and you take the one which you like the best. If that is what you want, you will no find it here.

OCA

Forum Donor
Wide and Narrow dispersion speakers which does exist, but nobody is promoting one or the other
It's promoted in the "scoring" of speakers ignoring the room specifics for reasons I explained above. If you disagree, you should come up with your counter reasoning as per reflected waves' angle and dimensions.

Again, you just picked a sentence out of everything and made a big offensive argument based on it. Does that mean you agree with everything else? Because that also proves, bias was used to discard valid information in this context.

speaker testing in mono
Where do I say, I am against it or I don't like it? Referring to selective benefits of listening tests because speaker tests are done in mono is disrespect to the rules of the house? What about all the phase differential information I explained? You simply ignore all that because it's too subjective to you? Your attitude is textbook unscientific and I will just leave it at that.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You do these listening tests for phase effects with controls I assume?

Otherwise you do realise they are worthless?

My own view is acoustic phase at mid and high frequencies is irrelevant for a variety of reasons. (The recording, reflected sound in room, movement of the head).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Therefore, to equip ourselves for future discussions, let's explore the potential quantification of these oft-cited biases:

How about a few more?

cognitive-bias (1).jpg

Discuss, in the sense of understanding they are inherent to the human condition, and must be accounted for during sensory testing?

It seems many want to find reasons why rigorous controls aren't really important or needed, when that's almost guaranteed to give worthless information.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
How about a few more?

View attachment 340035

Discuss, in the sense of understanding they are inherent to the human condition, and must be accounted for during sensory testing?

It seems many want to find reasons why rigorous controls aren't really important or needed, when that's almost guaranteed to give worthless information.

And again! Interesting article

"
Man is an intelligent animal. But the first tendency of our brains is to put more trust in information that confirms our beliefs than in information that contradicts them, to give priority to information that is immediately available rather than seeking out other sources, to overestimate the probabilities of what impresses us rather than those that need to be calculated.

Cognitive biases, which can be defined as unconscious deviations from a norm (logical, statistical, etc.), shape our relationship with reality. They leave their mark in many fields, such as medicine, justice and our relationship with information. In other words, it's not necessarily a mistake: certain cognitive biases enable us to arrive at a reasonable judgment or attitude. The simplification bias saves us time, the negativity bias encourages caution, the conformism bias facilitates integration into groups, and so on.
Our brain "works before we do, i.e., before the information reaches our consciousness", describes neuroscience researcher Pascale Toscani in an interview with Cairn. Indeed, "our neurons are constantly building bridges between our past and our future, between what we have seen and learned and what we can project from these experiences and knowledge"
.https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeur...e-vers-la-desinformation_6185356_4355770.html

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

What about all the phase differential information I explained? You simply ignore all that because it's too subjective to you? Your attitude is textbook unscientific and I will just leave it at that.

You may want to move your assertions on this subject to this thread. It is a more proper discussion location. The OP here was asking about an amp for the Kanta speaker, and this goes far, far afield. IMHO, too far afield. :)

Jim

Edit: You may also be interested (or perhaps not) in this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You may want to move your assertions on this subject to this thread. It is a more proper discussion location. The OP here was asking about an amp for the Kanta speaker, and this goes far, far afield. IMHO, too far afield. :)

Jim
Jim is Absolutely correct. We have derailed this Thread into Oblivion. Get back on Topic and take this side conversation to the suggested Linked thread or start a new one.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

Thanks @Jim Taylor for pointing us in the correct direction. :cool:

DSJR

Major Contributor
My brief listens to the Kanta 2 indicate that they do need a fair bit of power to bring them to life. I was not at all enamoured of them the first time I heard them, used with a Naim 'full width' streamer at modest levels, the sound being almost compressed and 'all of a volume.' Said streamer is gone now but I'd have thought a more traditional style of amp with some subjective 'punch' to it may well do better. Pulling names from a mental hat, Rotel or NAD if the latter still make traditional power amps?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My brief listens to the Kanta 2 indicate that they do need a fair bit of power to bring them to life. I was not at all enamoured of them the first time I heard them, used with a Naim 'full width' streamer at modest levels, the sound being almost compressed and 'all of a volume.' Said streamer is gone now but I'd have thought a more traditional style of amp with some subjective 'punch' to it may well do better. Pulling names from a mental hat, Rotel or NAD if the latter still make traditional power amps?
I gave the right answer in post #2 - Krell! :D

OP
D

Diecastt

Well, since there has been a lot of posts in this thread and i actually got several private messages asking on what amplifier i ended up getting, it's best if i update it.

I ended up testing several more amps, since the high frequencies continued to be extremely fatiguing to my ears. I was never able to try another Class D amp, as i had no way to demo it, and would have to buy it and didn't want to take the gamble.

I was able to test the burson timekeeper 3X GT monoblocks and the Luxman L-595A SE (a pure class A amp), and in both cases, i never had the issue of "lacking bass" that i complained about, but on both amps i still found the high frequencies extremely fatiguing for long term listening.

I also tested the Anthem STR and the Luxman L-507Z (again), and I really enjoyed both of them with the beryllium tweeter of the focals.
Those were the only two amplifiers that i could actually listen long term without getting my ear canal pierced and actually enjoy listening to music again. As the 507Z for me was more detailed, without ever being fatiguing, i ended up spending more than what i would have liked, and bought it (although at a discounted price).

Now either all this is all just cognitive bias, and those amplifiers should all sound the same, i am still open to that hypothesis, but i was actually expecting to like the Luxman L-595A SE the best (which was also the more expensive of all the amplifiers) and that did not happen at all, as i couldn't bear listening to it for more than 1-2 hours.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i was actually expecting to like the Luxman L-595A SE the best (which was also the more expensive of all the amplifiers) and that did not happen at all, as i couldn't bear listening to it for more than 1-2 hours.

I wonder if it is as simple as you pushing the 595A SE beyond the 30W x 2 into 8 with the Focal’s.

OP
D

Diecastt

I wonder if it is as simple as you pushing the 595A SE beyond the 30W x 2 into 8 with the Focal’s.
It is possible, as the 595A SE can easily drive the kantas, to push it higher than the 30W in pure class A you would really need to up the volume a lot, at a level that i dont think i ever did.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Whatever my objective leanings, I still find the bigger Accuphase amps have an almost sweet presentation with absolutely NO grain or glare even into 'Hifi balanced speakers with audiophile-balanced tweetersssssss. The Luxman integrateds aren't far off either and simply get on with the job. Subjectively, the Rega integrateds sound livelier and maybe a bit scrappy (I wonder how I'd do in a proper blind A-B dem, the only excuse being Rega's penchant for 'barely good enough' distortions and so on).

Anyway, glad you found a suitable amp for your needs.

Sad really though, the 5dB dip in the lower kHz region which would subjectively contribute to that overly laid back tone with the wrong amp. I know it's done for good subjective reasons in some designs, but others (PMC and B&W in too many models) make this into an art-form...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

Well, since there has been a lot of posts in this thread and i actually got several private messages asking on what amplifier i ended up getting, it's best if i update it.

Thank you! I appreciate the news. I think you will love the Luxman. ;)

Jim

12Many

Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom