• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo + surround control B&W 804 D3

Vermeer

Hi everyone,,

I hope you can help me advice. I am looking for a setup with the following 2 functions:

1. STEREO sound via B&W 804 D3 front speakers and sub.
2. SURROUND sound via these 2 B&W 804 D3 with additional B&W HTM1 D3 center speaker, sub and 2 B&W M1 back speakers

Brands that I have read a lot about that go well with the 804 speakers:
Naim (unity nova), NAD (M33), Arcam (SA30) Krell (kav-300i), Classe, Primare, Bryston.

The only 2 amplifiers that I have found that also provide surround and can be found around 5.000 are:
Arcam AVR31 and Primare SPA25.

I also include the option of using a cheaper surround amplifier such as a Denon X3800H or X6700H for the LCR speakers:
- The amplifier by means of theater bypass to a good stereo amplifier.
- The amplifier with a power amplifier. Or am I compromising the quality by doing this?

3 channel power amplifiers:
- Buckeye Purifi eigentakt
- Buckeye Hypex NCore (ncx500)
- ATI AT1823

Or multi-channel amplifiers:
-ATI Signature 6007 7x 300watt
- ATI's AT527NC 200W x 7
- Monolith by Monoprice 11-Channel (3x200 + 8x100 Watts)
- Musical Fidelity M6x 250.7 at 4 Ohm
- Monolith by Monoprice 7x200 Watts
- Emotiva XPA5 5x 200 watts or 2x 300watts

For final amplification, I read many good stories about Purifi eigentakt or Hypex NCore (ncx500).

My requirements for the amplifier are in addition:
- Dirac Live and Base Control
- Good DAC streaming (BluOS?)
- Connectivity: Airplay2, Chromecast, Tidal, Sportify Connect, Tunein.

What do you recommend for the best possible control that allows good stereo but also watching films in surround 5.1?

Thank you a thousand times in advance

Last edited:
Top Bottom