• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom HE power amp suggestion + Apple Music

Gaborm1

I decided to buy the Naim Uniti Atom HE with a Focal Clear MG headphone. Since 90% of my listening will be on the headphones, I want to connect the Atom HE to an amplifier and speakers. Currently, I have a Yamaha R-N602. However, I can only use the RCA connection, not the balance XLR. Which power amp with balanced XLR would you suggest? The NAIM NAP 250 is around £6200 and would require to replace my Dali Zensor 3 (I guess). This would mean at least a £8k investment, which I want to avoid.

My other question is that even though I have Quboz, I want to listen to Apple Music on the Naim Uniti Atom HE, what is the best way to connect an iPhone/iPad to the unit?

I decided to buy the Naim Uniti Atom HE with a Focal Clear MG headphone. Since 90% of my listening will be on the headphones, I want to connect the Atom HE to an amplifier and speakers. Currently, I have a Yamaha R-N602. However, I can only use the RCA connection, not the balance XLR. Which power amp with balanced XLR would you suggest? The NAIM NAP 250 is around £6200 and would require to replace my Dali Zensor 3 (I guess). This would mean at least a £8k investment, which I want to avoid.

My other question is that even though I have Quboz, I want to listen to Apple Music on the Naim Uniti Atom HE, what is the best way to connect an iPhone/iPad to the unit?
The RME ADI-2 would be a far better preamp/headphone amp, and would save you a lot of money. As for power amp, I would suggest a Purifi or Hypex based one if you want the best of what money can buy - there is plenty of choice of those, and again for not that much money compared to the figures you are quoting. All this will save you a fair bit of cash to spend on speakers.

Take a look at Nord's offerings: https://nordacoustics.co.uk/products/

AirPlay for convenience

Lightning to Coax adapter for lossless transmission (e.g. Lightning to USB-C OTG cable + TC100-COA/TC100S)
Thanks, will check the amplifiers.

I want a lossless transition. Do you have any particular brand you suggest?
The RME ADI-2 would be a far better preamp/headphone amp, and would save you a lot of money. As for power amp, I would suggest a Purifi or Hypex based one if you want the best of what money can buy - there is plenty of choice of those, and again for not that much money compared to the figures you are quoting. All this will save you a fair bit of cash to spend on speakers.
Thanks for your input. Although I have not tested RME (I read many very positive reviews!), I was amazed at the Atom HE sound quality. On top, I like Atom's design, and if I want to add a CDT later, I would prefer to be part of one ecosystem. I checked the RME ADI-2 availability in the UK, and many sites are showing as not available/orderable at the moment.

Not really.
There are a bunch of products which will all give you equally well lossless transmission of audio.

Here are a few:

One differentiating factor is that some converters will lock your iPhone's volume at 100%, while others will still allow you to control volume via your phone's volume rocker.

All of these can be connected to you iPhone/iPad.
How you connect them depends on which converter you choose and whether your iPhone/iPad uses Lightning or USB-C.

Not really.
There are a bunch of products which will all give you equally well lossless transmission of audio.

Here are a few:

One differentiating factor is that some converters will lock your iPhone's volume at 100%, while others will still allow you to control volume via your phone's volume rocker.

All of these can be connected to you iPhone/iPad.
How you connect them depends on which converter you choose and whether your iPhone/iPad uses Lightning or USB-C.
Thanks this is very helpful!

Thanks, will check the amplifiers.

Thanks for your input. Although I have not tested RME (I read many very positive reviews!), I was amazed at the Atom HE sound quality. On top, I like Atom's design, and if I want to add a CDT later, I would prefer to be part of one ecosystem. I checked the RME ADI-2 availability in the UK, and many sites are showing as not available/orderable at the moment.
Good amplifiers do not have any sound quality - they are completely transparent. The Naim may well have a sound of its own - I don't know - , and that would be a bad sign. Many Naim units have not measured very well. In short, I think Naim is marketing story without much technical merit, and that at ridiculously elevated prices.
Conversely, the RME ADI-2 is viewed by many as the ultimate DAC/preamp/headphone amp because it measures extremely well, and much better than you could possibly hear (so don't even bother with a listening test), but also has numerous useful features such as adjustable tone controls, balance control, dynamic loudness, auto reference level, programmable filters, and more. All these things are extremely useful in real life. It is also very well made, and enjoys exceptional support, even after many years. Mind you, RME are primarily a pro audio company - your music may well have been recorded using some of their products. Add a power amplifier with auto on/off such as the BOXEM ones, and you only need to have the ADI-2 in sight.

Back
Top Bottom