• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

eardiggler

iOS--Amazon HD app--airplay to Boss2

That seems so simple! Do you know if Airplay to the Boss 2 would support 24/96khz Amazon HD stream? I really like the idea of re-using my old Iphone as a music controller.

johan

Audio Company
Amazon HD music has not published an API , for integration in various players.

eardiggler

it will be downscaled to CD quality.

Darnit! I knew there was compromise.
I noticed this note on Amazon's website in regards to casting to an Apple TV - maybe that means it MAY work in full-res now?

Cast Music using Apple AirPlay
Amazon Music can be cast to an Apple TV using the Amazon Music app.
  • Device has an Internet connection.
  • Device is connected to a power source.

1. Tap on the menu icon.
  2. Tap Connect to a Device and tap on the device from the list.
    Note: Airplay and Airplay 2 can support HD or Ultra HD, depending on the device capability.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
If you just buy a Raspberry Pi Model 4 and Load the PiCorePlayer (LMS) software and then Run the USB port into a External DAC that supports DSD256, it will work just fine. -- I do this on a regular basis
Thanks, definitely a possibility for me. I'm not very streaming-savvy. I should learn because I have a USB DAC which I always use with a Windows notebook. I want to have my DAC in the hi-fi rack and select music from my listening chair.

Elmar.F

Yes, it can access Music stored on a Synology NAS. I use LMS via PiCorePlayer to do this. Works flawlessly.

Hmm.

1) I will try out Option 3 @ https://www.picoreplayer.org/ to have the Boss2 stream from the Synology NAS and (as another option to replace the NAS in the near future) to stream music from a Hard Disc attached to the Boss2.

2) Alternatively I will try out Moode and see if Moode is able to stream from the NAS and/or from a Hard Disc attached to the Boss2. The parametric EQ is the feature I'm interested in...

BikeSmith60

Just ordered one of these for delivery in Europe. Had a very old Squeezebox die on the basement system and needed to replace. Still have 3 other Squeezeboxes all running Roon in addition to the main system which is all Naim. Hoping that the little Boss2 will make a decent Roon endpoint...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Darnit! I knew there was compromise.
I noticed this note on Amazon's website in regards to casting to an Apple TV - maybe that means it MAY work in full-res now?

Cast Music using Apple AirPlay
Amazon Music can be cast to an Apple TV using the Amazon Music app.
  • Device has an Internet connection.
  • Device is connected to a power source.

1. Tap on the menu icon.
  2. Tap Connect to a Device and tap on the device from the list.
    Note: Airplay and Airplay 2 can support HD or Ultra HD, depending on the device capability.
AirPlay is a 16-bit/44.1kHz only transport.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Neekomax

I'm new to the RPi-as-streamer world, as I recently bought a 4B and am using it with Roon to an SMSL M500 over USB, but I'm very happy with it thus far. Very stable (even with my Roon Core connected to the network over wifi, which is not recommended), and great value overall.

As companies realize that they can put them in nice looking enclosures, make sure they measure well, and rebrand them for maximum marketability, I don't see how companies making $1,000 and up streamers will be able to compete.

Cut-Throat

As companies realize that they can put them in nice looking enclosures, make sure they measure well, and rebrand them for maximum marketability, I don't see how companies making $1,000 and up streamers will be able to compete.

Lots of AudioPhools in the Marketplace! --- I am still amazed at how the Cable Business (Speaker, Interconnect) survives at prices Streamer Companies could only dream about.... The secret seems to be a price so high that it's got to be good!

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'm new to the RPi-as-streamer world, as I recently bought a 4B and am using it with Roon to an SMSL M500 over USB, but I'm very happy with it thus far. Very stable (even with my Roon Core connected to the network over wifi, which is not recommended), and great value overall.

I don't see how companies making expensive DACs can compete? This product has both.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have no need for this, but want one! The $30+ dollars shipping stopped me dead in my tracks though. Once you hit this level of value, but low cost, even the little things can be a turnoff. The pricing on the SD card, wifi adapters, etc, is VERY good though!
Look, when “S&H” is included, you pay it anyway. When is included for every address location on the planet, those close to the warehouse pay more and subsidize the shipping for those at the antipodes.

michaelahess

Look, when “S&H” is included, you pay it anyway. When is included for every address location on the planet, those close to the warehouse pay more and subsidize the shipping for those at the antipodes.

I don't expect free shipping. But if these sold on Amazon, having Allo ship a bunch to them, costs would be much less. And not sure where these ship from but 30 bucks is a lot for something this small.

Top Bottom