• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

Veri

Master Contributor
Roon. As such, I am limited to static tests and not anything that includes a sweep.

What is the limitation? Roon can Play A sweep file and go to the device , right? I do this when I make REW timing reference sweeps with Roon as source.

The AP needs an ASIO driver for direct interfacing. Little hard to do with a device like this, if not straight impossible.

m8o

Forum Donor
@johan , I know it may only save me a few dollars. But why can't I buy this w/o the acrylic case? I would mount it to the top of a RPi mounted to the back of a 7" display case. The case would just be adding to my stock of acrylic RPi cases I already have but am not using.

Last edited:

sanathan

@johan , I know it may only save me a few dollars. But why can't I buy this w/o the acrylic case? I would mount it to the top of a RPi mounted to the back of a 7" display case. The case would just be adding to my stock of acrylic RPi cases I already have but am not using.
You can but then u need a raspberry pi4 and u miss the awesome grounded alluminium case .With pi4 added there is little diff with the metal case one...

m8o

Forum Donor
You can but then u need a raspberry pi4 and u miss the awesome grounded alluminium case .With pi4 added there is little diff with the metal case one...
You're off the mark on a few fronts...

A. As to "you can": Where on the Allo site am I able to buy the DAC HAT alone? There is only this..

https://allo.com/sparky/boss2.html
(I assume that I find this under the Sparky path on the website a publishing error, and this is a Rpi hat not a sparky hat.)

... or the configuration tested here (which I am tempted by, as much as I know I'd prefer my typical Roon / RoPieee setup. See the link below.).

B. As to the remainder: I'll care about a grounded case when I have a grounding issue. Never have. And I dare call the screen packaged here "a screen". What I'm seeing can't compete with what I usually use, this:
https://m8ofoto.smugmug.com/Life/Audio-Gear/RPi-and-SBC-Stuff/

That said... this aluminum blue case is way tempting. :D

Last edited:

m8o

Forum Donor
also since this one have screen, normal acrylic cases wont fit
Wait, are you saying one HAS TO use the little screen? It's soldered to the HAT? Ugh! Then -I- stand corrected. :(

Labjr

Major Contributor
I hope Allo will do Streamer/DAC with balanced output and find find a way to play DSD128 and maybe even DSD256.

aladar

Hello everybody, I’m very interested in this streamer hooked to my external DAC.
Have few questions about:
A linear dc will have any positive affects ? Maybe lowering thd ?
The internal DAC is connected to the rpi output of the Raspi board. Somewhere I’ve red that I2s interface in that board has clock issues. Any information about that ?
There’s a review in this forum on the i2s interface , but it analyzes the i2s to usb conversion, not a direct connection to the input of a DAC with such interface.
Would be nice a test of that.
Thanks

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everybody, I’m very interested in this streamer hooked to my external DAC.
If you don't need the DAC I would just go for a Raspberry Pi 4 in a case you like.

sanathan

Have few questions about:
A linear dc will have any positive affects ? Maybe lowering thd ?
The internal DAC is connected to the rpi output of the Raspi board. Somewhere I’ve red that I2s interface in that board has clock issues. Any information about that ?
There’s a review in this forum on the i2s interface , but it analyzes the i2s to usb conversion, not a direct connection to the input of a DAC with such interface.
Would be nice a test of that.
Thanks
If u dont need the internal DAC u can just go for pi 4 with a case and connect USB to ext DAC. Somewhere I’ve red that I2s interface in that board has clock issues ... i doubt it .The measurements done by @amirm show this DAC is transparent enough. There is no reason to doubt it unless proven by a set of measurements etc...

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If u dont need the internal DAC u can just go for pi 4 with a case and connect USB to ext DAC. Somewhere I’ve red that I2s interface in that board has clock issues ... i doubt it .The measurements done by @amirm show this DAC is transparent enough. There is no reason to doubt it unless proven by a set of measurements etc...

The RPi does not have the correct audio frequency (44.1X, 48X) clocks but this is only a concern if the RPi is providing the master clock. Guaranteed that the Boss2 is using its own audio frequency clocks so this is not an issue.

Michael

sanathan

The RPi does not have the correct audio frequency (44.1X, 48X) clocks but this is only a concern if the RPi is providing the master clock. Guaranteed that the Boss2 is using its own audio frequency clocks so this is not an issue.

Michael
Ok. So u are saying rpi4 doesnt have correct clocks over USB? Wondering how does it matter when we have a good USB DAC.Is the incorrect cloks measurable in actua jitter in output thro a DAC. Forgive me but i am just thinking aloud...

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. So u are saying rpi4 doesnt have correct clocks over USB? Wondering how does it matter when we have a good USB DAC.Is the incorrect cloks measurable in actua jitter in output thro a DAC. Forgive me but i am just thinking aloud...

If you are using a USB DAC the DAC will provide its own clocks. That is kind of the whole point of asynchronous USB audio.

Michael

aladar

Michael
Exactly, so it depends on the DAC board that re-clock the signal.

Yes, Amir with a set of measure could resolve this doubt. Don’t forget about i2s interface, large part of the audiophile community would be happy having some “science” reviews….

sanathan

Yes, Amir with a set of measure could resolve this doubt. Don’t forget about i2s interface, large part of the audiophile community would be happy having some “science” reviews….
Yes claims of i2s inferiority/superiority should be resolved with measurements.Hope @amirm does it :) ...

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

A large number of mathematics professors would like to know how you define large in the above post.

Top Bottom