• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 80.6%

• Total voters
Anyone having issues with analog out after yesterday's update? I get no sound but it is clipping my amplifier like crazy, it weird.

Anyone having issues with analog out after yesterday's update? I get no sound but it is clipping my amplifier like crazy, it weird.
Hi,
Perhaps you may switch the device on and off. Perhaps two times? Also may be an idea to control, if cables are deep enough plugged in?
Hope, that can help!

thorsten

No, no problems here. What do you mean by 'no sound but clipping my amplifier' ?

No, no problems here. What do you mean by 'no sound but clipping my amplifier' ?
Speakers are dead silent when I try to play something but the amps clipping indicators keep kicking in and out. Checked one channel on the amp with my phone and it works fine...

A query .Plan to buy Wiim Pro plus and use the optical or coax out that goes into a stereo /dac amp ie Audiolab 9000A (optical or coax) . If i consider Audiolab 9000N streamer would the optical or coax output be better that the Wiim ?Thanks.

A query .Plan to buy Wiim Pro plus and use the optical or coax out that goes into a stereo /dac amp ie Audiolab 9000A (optical or coax) . If i consider Audiolab 9000N streamer would the optical or coax output be better that the Wiim ?Thanks.
The 9000N's optical or coax output would not be better than the WiiM.

BTW, the Pro Plus' only improvements over the regular WiiM Pro are an improved DAC and ADC.

If you're not planning on using the WiiM's analog inputs and outputs, then spending more for the Pro Plus would be money wasted.

The 9000N's optical or coax output would not be better than the WiiM.

BTW, the Pro Plus' only improvements over the regular WiiM Pro are an improved DAC and ADC.

If you're not planning on using the WiiM's analog inputs and outputs, then spending more for the Pro Plus would be money wasted.
Thank you for the response. Would i be able to use the graphic equalizer in the wiim desktop win app as tone controls.

Got the automatic room correction update. Ran it and seems ok. (Nearfield listening, no sub)
Using analog out to Loxjie A30 to Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52

I updated the FW as well and also have the Auto Room Correct. Using mine in far field. I think the top end of the PEQ correction might be a little aggressive. I tweaked the 10th band Gain setting by +3.3dB, left the Frequency and Q alone. I like it.

I updated the FW as well and also have the Auto Room Correct. Using mine in far field. I think the top end of the PEQ correction might be a little aggressive. I tweaked the 10th band Gain setting by +3.3dB, left the Frequency and Q alone. I like it.
It doesn’t work for me. I did the room correction with the WiiM app and the Pro plus and to honest the result was laughable. Sorry. I will stick to manual EQ on this one.

It doesn’t work for me. I did the room correction with the WiiM app and the Pro plus and to honest the result was laughable. Sorry. I will stick to manual EQ on this one.

After further listening I would have agreed yesterday, but today it's ok. Which is scary - no FW/SW changes and I followed the process the same way at all times. I thought I liked it, but as I spent more time listening to it, it became obvious to me that I wasn't really enjoying it as much as the stock settings.

Re-performed Room Correction again today. Oddly enough I got a totally different set of PEQ settings, much more subtle and useful. Listening to them right now and I have to admit it does sound better than stock. Not earth-shattering, but a definite improvement. This time no changes above 4k.

Also, these observations:
- iOS for iPad is the only app I have that has this, my Android app does not
- I don't have any "targets"
- I don't have an overall gain setting available
- There are no subwoofer output latency settings
- I cannot set the base Room Correction frequency range

You need to click on the settings cog on the first screen after choosing Room Correction from the main menu. This then allows you to change the various parameters/targets.

You need to click on the settings cog on the first screen after choosing Room Correction from the main menu. This then allows you to change the various parameters/targets.
After further listening I would have agreed yesterday, but today it's ok. Which is scary - no FW/SW changes and I followed the process the same way at all times. I thought I liked it, but as I spent more time listening to it, it became obvious to me that I wasn't really enjoying it as much as the stock settings.

Re-performed Room Correction again today. Oddly enough I got a totally different set of PEQ settings, much more subtle and useful. Listening to them right now and I have to admit it does sound better than stock. Not earth-shattering, but a definite improvement. This time no changes above 4k.

Yes, click on the gear from this screen, top right and you’ll get this

Attachments

• IMG_1344.png
    IMG_1344.png
    586.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1343.png
    IMG_1343.png
    522.2 KB · Views: 108
Thanks!

That was neither the first, nor the last time I missed something obvious. You can check in with Mrs. thegeton for confirmation. ;)

Thanks!

That was neither the first, nor the last time I missed something obvious. You can check in with Mrs. thegeton for confirmation. ;)
To be fair, it needs to be more obvious, I think, as it is very easy to miss.

I am wondering if the Wiim Pro Plus can accept a analog input and it's ADC will output a 24/96 Spdif signal into my old Meridian DSP speakers ? I listen to about 98% LP as a source so I 'm the rare/odd potential buyer who really cares about ADC functionality.

I am wondering if the Wiim Pro Plus can accept a analog input and it's ADC will output a 24/96 Spdif signal into my old Meridian DSP speakers ? I listen to about 98% LP as a source so I 'm the rare/odd potential buyer who really cares about ADC functionality.
If your analog is coming directly from the turntable, you may also need to also consider whether RIAA decoding is supported. I know is available on the WiiM Ultra, but I don't think the Pro Plus has or will get it. Of course, not an issue if you are taking the analog off of a phono preamp.

Another alternative to consider that has gotten very good reviews is a Waxwing by Parks Audio, which will perform ADC on the analog from the turntable, and send out 24/48 or 24/96 over S/SPDIF via Coax or Optical.

Back
Top Bottom