• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Toku

Major Contributor
TI says that the capacitors should be selected according to best engineering practices: to tolerate voltage spikes etc. I've seen it mentions that 50v supply would require 80v capacitors. That's 60% overshoot.

Aiyima is using 50v capacitors; the same ratio of 1.6 would give us recommended supply voltage ~32V.
yes, your point is correct.
I have developed and designed many devices, but I always try to use electrolytic capacitors at 70% or less of the withstand voltage.
Since the power supplies of current electronic devices use stabilized power supplies, fluctuations in the power supply voltage are not as large as in the past. In addition, the quality of electrolytic capacitors has improved, and it will be possible to use them at voltages closer to the withstand voltage than before.
However, it is not allowed to use a 50V capacitor with a 48V power supply voltage like a Chinese product.

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TI says that the capacitors should be selected according to best engineering practices: to tolerate voltage spikes etc. I've seen it mentions that 50v supply would require 80v capacitors. That's 60% overshoot.

Aiyima is using 50v capacitors; the same ratio of 1.6 would give us recommended supply voltage ~32V.
I don't know if there are A07 still sold with 50V capacitors, but mine came almost 2 years ago with 63V capacitors, which means a bit less than 40V power supply if following the 60% rule

AltoVariago

Having my Unison unico dm amplifier out to be serviced, I bought through Amazon this amp for something around 90 euros and I plugged it on my beloved Sonus Faber Cremona, that beside the sound are a masterpiece of craftsmanship.

I am surprised by the quality of the sound. I could not imagine that something so cheap could sound so good. Now I am thinking of setting up a second system in my bedroom, just have to find a couple of bookshelf speaker really bookshelf (they will be buried between books so no rear reflex ports).

Ciao from Italy

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
yes, your point is correct.
I have developed and designed many devices, but I always try to use electrolytic capacitors at 70% or less of the withstand voltage.
Since the power supplies of current electronic devices use stabilized power supplies, fluctuations in the power supply voltage are not as large as in the past. In addition, the quality of electrolytic capacitors has improved, and it will be possible to use them at voltages closer to the withstand voltage than before.
However, it is not allowed to use a 50V capacitor with a 48V power supply voltage like a Chinese product.
Hi Toku, this is off topic, but according to you it's 70% as a safe margin.

For another project I'm mounting a new PSU, the transformer after rectifying gives 30-0-30v dc, I have 50v condos, but I want to add the 35v condo bank, so I guess that the value is not high enough for the voltage of 30vdc... could there be a problem??

Last edited:

longma

Having my Unison unico dm amplifier out to be serviced, I bought through Amazon this amp for something around 90 euros and I plugged it on my beloved Sonus Faber Cremona, that beside the sound are a masterpiece of craftsmanship.

I am surprised by the quality of the sound. I could not imagine that something so cheap could sound so good. Now I am thinking of setting up a second system in my bedroom, just have to find a couple of bookshelf speaker really bookshelf (they will be buried between books so no rear reflex ports).

Ciao from Italy
I bought this anp as recommended by the thread and from amir review. I also bought SMSL A300 2022 as recommended by Toku and Iireview. I found the SMSL sounds clearer, but leaner. Subjectively, i prefer the sound of SMSL. My source is Oppo 205 that feeds directly to both amps. For the price/performance, it is one of the best for the money ($50-$60 from Amazon now). However, for budget amp at $160 and under, i would extend to get the SMSL 300 ( got it for $150). I think with 2 sets of inputs (use 1 set for home theater, 1 set for music; or 1 set for CD, 1 set for BT from BlueDento), subout, remote control, powder supply in the case , and high power, it is a better choice for me. Btw, don't get the hum with SMSL when i use BlueDento as inputs.

HappyMetalGuy

I bought this anp as recommended by the thread and from amir review. I also bought SMSL A300 2022 as recommended by Toku and Iireview. I found the SMSL sounds clearer, but leaner. Subjectively, i prefer the sound of SMSL. My source is Oppo 205 that feeds directly to both amps. For the price/performance, it is one of the best for the money ($50-$60 from Amazon now). However, for budget amp at $160 and under, i would extend to get the SMSL 300 ( got it for $150). I think with 2 sets of inputs (use 1 set for home theater, 1 set for music; or 1 set for CD, 1 set for BT from BlueDento), subout, remote control, powder supply in the case , and high power, it is a better choice for me. Btw, don't get the hum with SMSL when i use BlueDento as inputs.

Ciao from Italy
I have bought Aiyima A07 (used 32V-5A) for $45 for my work office nearfield listening. After a month of continuous use and paired with SMSL SU-1 $80, I would be very happy even if I had spend $200 or even a little more on both.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only fools pay retail prices.
Follow me for more financial advice. :cool:
ferengi.jpg

HappyMetalGuy

OK I've changed the ne5532 for the lm4562 (2€ each) on my A07 did i ear a difference? No. At least it as better numbers, so I'll keep them. It would be nice to have measurements tough. The OPA1612 has even better numbers but in audiophonics.fr they're 11€ each way to much for my ears, I think.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK I've changed the ne5532 for the lm4562 (2€ each) on my A07 did i ear a difference? No. At least it as better numbers, so I'll keep them. It would be nice to have measurements tough. The OPA1612 has even better numbers but in audiophonics.fr they're 11€ each way to much for my ears, I think.
You wanna be a electronics person and work with circuitry and this is you getting your feet wet?

HappyMetalGuy

You wanna be a electronics person and work with circuitry and this is you getting your feet wet?
Just for fun

grogi.giant

OpticonPrime

Got this little amp today with a 48v 5.2a (249watt) power supply.

But i have a question:
I have got 4 Dayton Audio Puck Mini TT-25 bass shakers, each rated 16ohm (connected in parallel) connected to one channel of the amp. (can change this wiring setup if necessary). The shakers are rated 20watt RMS, 30watt peak.

What is the best way to hook up the 4 shakers when keeping in mind that
@4ohm about 2 x 200watt is available.
@8oh about 2 x 120watt is available.

Is it correct that when one channel connect to all 4 shakers (parallel)they have 50watt per shaker available?
Or 2 x 2 (parallel) 60watt per shaker?

I have a x3800h and a minidsp 2x4hd connected before the Aiyima amp.
X3800h sub4 out @ 0db and Minidsp +10db (output). Also a "housecurve" to boost 10db between 20-28hz and cut a little bit @30hz (resonance in my couch).
The amp is at 45 what is 3/4 on the knob. Is this too much?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.

ddaudio

I'm from what should probably be called the dark ages of hi-fi, when we would first judge amplifiers by their weight. My living room system is based around a giant 20kg (44lb) Pioneer receiver which was tested in its day to be capable of dynamic power of 280 Watts into 4 ohms (and 450 Watts into 2 ohms). Test report here: http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download/reports/aug04/pioneervsxax5i.html

This week, I started looking for a headphone amp for late night listening, became curious about what these mini amps could do, so ended up, with the help of this forum, with a SMSL C100 DAC, Aiyima A07 amp and a Sabaj A10h headphone amp, all for the princely sum of 215GBP. (The Sabaj is still on its way).

I started by going through the amplifier power requirement test here http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/09/musings-how-much-amplifier-power-do-you.html and worked out my real world power needs were well within the capabilities of the Aiyima A07 with its stock 32V 5A power supply.

My speakers are the Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mk2, a 25 year old high quality bookshelf design, 86db/2.83v/m sensitivity, said at the time to be fairly current hungry but a not particularly reactive load. Here are the impedance/phase measurements from its Stereophile test:

Screenshot 2023-05-25 14.57.10.png

I am also using a Marantz PM66KIS amp which I recently got out of storage - this is rated at 70 wpc into 4 ohms but was tested to deliver 132. This was the amp I was using when I first bought the Dynaudio speakers. It, and the Pioneer receiver, drive them very nicely indeed. As does a Naim XS integrated amp which I have in my study, currently hooked up to some Tannoy dual concentrics.

So what do I think of the results? In a word, eye-opening for this old dinosaur. As predicted, the Aiyima drives the speakers to any level you could possibly want in my room, and I listen to a lot of classical music, so require a very high dynamic range. The sound is very clean, no noise audible in use - I turned the amp up to max gain with no music playing and pressed my ear against the tweeter and there was only a barely perceptible hiss (albeit with my old ears which hear nothing above 12khz). This is a big improvement over the aging Marantz - when I got it out of storage I had to open it up and clean the switch contacts inside (it's all mechanical) and it still crackles slightly with the same ear-to-tweeter test. More Importantly, the Marantz has a big toroidal transformer which buzzes randomly (not through the speakers, not level-dependant - presumably DC on the mains) - when it happens it can be heard even when wearing headphones. There's none of that with the Aiyima.

I've currently got the SMSL DAC connected to the Aiyima, with the amp's useful passthrough AUX out connected to the Marantz amp. I have a switch to allow the speakers to be switched from one amp to the other. I'm A-B testing, obviously not blind (though by tomorrow I might have forgotten which is which on the switch!), and it's the usual psychoacoustic story: Switch from one to the other and it sounds better. Then switch back and it sounds better still (how many times do you need to switch before it sounds better that the original performance?). More seriously, this tells me the A07 is very good indeed and I'm using it well within its capabilities even with the stock power supply.

When the Sabaj headphone amp arrives, I intend to connect the DAC directly to it, and drive the A07 from the Sabaj's line out, which as tested in this forum has a very high quality volume control, independently adjustable for the HP/line out, and with remote control. I could even connect an analogue source to the Aiyima AUX socket, If I wanted, just for fun. I'm looking forward to it.

ddaudio

One thing I've noticed with my A-B comparison setup as described above, is the noise that was introduced when using the Aux socket as an output, which is to be expected given the Aux connection is simply paralleling the RCA input. Probably says more about the condition of my elderly Marantz amp than anything else.

ddaudio

After reading about the possible effects of output impedance in this post https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?posts/623086/ , out of interest I used REW to compare the Marantz PM66KIS amp with the Aiyima A07. Please ignore the absolute levels recorded, it's done with a very cheap (not fit for this purpose) USB dongle/mic, but presumably still a valid test of the difference between the two amps. And don't laugh too hard at the state of my room acoustics if you download and examine the REW measurement file!

PM66KIS vs A07.png

Attachments

• PM66KIS vs A07 (Contour 1.3 mk2).txt
    4.2 MB · Views: 48

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
After reading about the possible effects of output impedance in this post https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?posts/623086/ , out of interest I used REW to compare the Marantz PM66KIS amp with the Aiyima A07. Please ignore the absolute levels recorded, it's done with a very cheap (not fit for this purpose) USB dongle/mic, but presumably still a valid test of the difference between the two amps. And don't laugh too hard at the state of my room acoustics if you download and examine the REW measurement file!

View attachment 288353
It is more likely that you captured slight changes in the room (incl ambient noise) and change in mic and level than the amp difference. Mics are not the way to measure amps. Get an ADC (eg cheap audiointerface) to measure FR etc of amps.

ddaudio

It is more likely that you captured slight changes in the room (incl ambient noise) and change in mic and level than the amp difference. Mics are not the way to measure amps. Get an ADC (eg cheap audiointerface) to measure FR etc of amps.
After reading the post I linked to, I was more interested in examining the possible problems outlined there, arising from amp/speaker interaction. As to my conclusions, I agree that after taking account of the obvious fluctuating background noise in my room (from road traffic), there is no difference and therefore no problem, at least with my A07/Dynaudio combination.

HappyMetalGuy

The TPA3255 can be used at Max 53.5V from the datasheet. However, the AIYIMA A07 uses a power supply capacitor with a withstand voltage of 50V. Therefore, the limit of the power supply voltage is 48V, which is lower than that. In order to use A07 more safely, it is desirable to use the power supply voltage at 40V or less.
I don't know if there are A07 still sold with 50V capacitors, but mine came almost 2 years ago with 63V capacitors, which means a bit less than 40V power supply if following the 60% rule
Hi Toku, this is off topic, but according to you it's 70% as a safe margin.

For another project I'm mounting a new PSU, the transformer after rectifying gives 30-0-30v dc, I have 50v condos, but I want to add the 35v condo bank, so I guess that the value is not high enough for the voltage of 30vdc... could there be a problem??
Got this little amp today with a 48v 5.2a (249watt) power supply.

But i have a question:
I have got 4 Dayton Audio Puck Mini TT-25 bass shakers, each rated 16ohm (connected in parallel) connected to one channel of the amp. (can change this wiring setup if necessary). The shakers are rated 20watt RMS, 30watt peak.

What is the best way to hook up the 4 shakers when keeping in mind that
@4ohm about 2 x 200watt is available.
@8oh about 2 x 120watt is available.

Is it correct that when one channel connect to all 4 shakers (parallel)they have 50watt per shaker available?
Or 2 x 2 (parallel) 60watt per shaker?

I have a x3800h and a minidsp 2x4hd connected before the Aiyima amp.
X3800h sub4 out @ 0db and Minidsp +10db (output). Also a "housecurve" to boost 10db between 20-28hz and cut a little bit @30hz (resonance in my couch).
The amp is at 45 what is 3/4 on the knob. Is this too much?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.
Just bought the Topping DX3PRO+ and PA3s for 208€ let's hope all goes well. I'll give my subjective impressions of it compared to SMSL SU-1 connected to Aiyima A07.
One think I noted after using the Cosel ADA600F-24-F power supply, and that is, despite the power supply been hot the A07 it's not even warm. With the 32V5A power supply the A07 was warm to the touch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom