• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

robot34

Thanks for the replies!

Also, can Aiyima A07 with 32v5a power these speakers? Elac debut b5.2 and jbl 530?

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the replies!

Also, can Aiyima A07 with 32v5a power these speakers? Elac debut b5.2 and jbl 530?

The Elac spec are : 6 ohms / 86 dB sensitivity / 120W max power
I tested the A07 with 6 / 88 / 100 speakers, with a 24V/17A power supply, and it was way too much to use for a 270 square feet room, so I would say 32V/5A should be enough with your speakers

xtal_01

Hey! OK ... I am not an electronics guy but really need some advice.

I am going to order one of these amps (Aiyima A07) to power some monitor speakers for my wife's chorus (aim at the group and use for practice).

My problem is with the power supply.

It recommends 48 volts at 7.5 amps

OK ... I found a few industrial power supplies out there for around $40 .... I was thinking of this one: 48 v 10 a power supply amazon

The connector on the back seems very small.

I looked on Amazon ... 2.5 / 5.5 barrel connectors seem to be rated at less than 5 amps!

I know I won't draw 7.5 all the time but what do you guys do for connectors ????

I was planning on using something like this : connector amazon

But I am not sure now what to do!

I use 16 gauge wire for 10 amps in control panels (14 for 15 amps) ... so 16 should be fine ?

Just want to get this right!

Mike

PS .... link to the group my wife directs Vermont's Freedom and Unity Chorus

Raindog123

Major Contributor
need some advice

If you'll go with the NEUMI BS5 speakers you asked about in another thread, you do not need this - 48V, 10A - power supply. Not at all! Something like >this< (36V, 4A -> 144W nominal) would work perfectly fine. And it even comes with the right connector.

...or order this A07 that comes with a PS (32V, 5A -> 160W).

Good luck!

Last edited:

xtal_01

Thanks. So you don't think I need the extra headroom (I think that is the correct term)?

Yes, I eventually would like to get some true monitor speakers but I "think" the Neumi SB5 for just over $100 will work.

That is exactly the one I was looking at. After watching the reviews, I was going to add a larger power supply and also I was going to cut a hole in the top and add a fan (just a small USB power one).

Is the fan a good idea or ?

An you don't think I need the larger supply?

Thanks ... Mike

PS ... as I said, I am not an electronics guy ... I build industrial control panels .. on or off.. much simpler ;) Vermont Country Workshop

Cote Dazur

About power supply, does it matter how we get (48vx3a) 144 watts? Would less volts more amp give the same result?
I have 24v x 12 amp, 288 watts, I could use.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About power supply, does it matter how we get (48vx3a) 144 watts? Would less volts more amp give the same result?
See figures 7 & 8 in TPA3255 datasheet.

tpa3255.png

Grooved

It looks like this amp performs a bit better with higher voltage, but I'm afraid of the 48V as the capacitors are only 50V in the amp. That's a small margin.
I'm using it with a 24V/17A at this moment (after disconnecting the fan in power supply which was noise monster, after checking all component temp while in use, and nothing higher than 38°C without fan inside the power supply), but if I try a 48V, I will certainly replace the capacitors by 63V ones

Last edited:

wave

48V is perfectly fine for 50V rated capacitors as long as you make sure with a trusted multimeter that the psu outputs indeed 48V.

wave

Read again amir's review. He used 2 power supplies, one of the 2 higher voltage than the other. Depending on the ohms of the speakers connected and the power supply output voltage you could get either current restricted or voltage restricted in the maximum watts you will be able to get from this little amp

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the graphs, does it mean that voltage is the only important variable, amperage not important in this particular case?
Unfortunately not. The graphs assumed that the power supply can provide whatever current the amplifier demands.

Practically speaking, that means the power supply's rated power needs to be above the amplifier output power, plus some margins to account for the internal amplifiers losses. However, if we need to only satisfy short term transient power, many power supplies can supply short term power significantly higher than their rated power. This is the route Topping chose with their power supply for their PA-5. See this posts and the few following it.

xtal_01

Thanks again so much for all the information !!!!!!!

I did get the one that came with the 32 volt 5A supply ($80 on Amazon). It just came in today ... I will hook it up tonight and see how it does.

I can always add a higher voltage supply and a fan if I need it later.

Thanks again!

Grooved

48V is perfectly fine for 50V rated capacitors as long as you make sure with a trusted multimeter that the psu outputs indeed 48V.
Yeah, and I've not measured it yet, but the fact that they have change it for 63V in the last series doesn't make me believe that the PSU output is not going to more than 48V ;)
Unless they also change something in the PSU

wave

I was not impressed from the power supply they supplied with the amp, so I bought S400-48 from Banggood, that has a trimmer pot giving me the option to fine tune output voltage and also check the output with multimeter very easily.

The obvious drawback as amir pointed out several pages earlier on this thread is that these power supplies are shock hazard because the screws where the AC cable is connected are totally exposed.

xtal_01

You bought a $400 for a $70 amplifier?

I understand this may be a very good supply but it defeats the purpose of buying this amp. I wanted an economical amp with decent sound quality and volume.

I got it in last night .... hooked it to a Yamaha MG10XU mixer .... AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!

I really didn't expect much. At 59, my days of high fidelity listening are on a downward slide. This setup is for my wife's chorus group. She needed a unit they can use for practice.

It really did work very very well. I put a mic on one channel and a blue tooth receiver fed from her computer on another channel.

They will try it tonight in the chapel of a very large church so I will see what the volume is like then.

I still might need a new power supply but I was thinking in the $35 to $50 range.

I can buy and industrial one I use in control panels for $120 .... but I am trying not to go that high.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wave

I bought this psu from link bellow:

The model name is S-400W-48V.

Costed 32.74 € including shipping to Greece.

Right now I see it costs 37,52€ without shipping , so possibly there are better deals out there.

The amp costed me around 55 € including shipping.

Still, someone could argue that 55€ + 35-40 € is approaching 100 € and this makes it less VFM amp but in my case, I justified that purchase to myself because the power supply will also be used at my lab.

But if you happen to have something like an HP printer PSU rated at 32V 2A or more lying around, this can also be used and it will be more than enough to give you a fair amount of power.

Top Bottom