• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About the 3 new products of Nordost - QBASE Mark III, QSINE và QWAVE

SSS

Viewed the video and did not get a clue how the noise reducer technically works. There was mentioned a resonant circuit but also sampled noise. Perhaps the idea behind the products may not be bad. But as an EE I would like to understand what really happens. And the description in the video was not detailed enough. I think it was not the intention of this video, it is a sales pitch.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You cannot make assumption like that bro. If every Nordost products have been measured so far are bad, you cannot assume that ALL their products are bad.
Let say, if some products of one company have measurement results really good, you cannot assume that ALL products that company make in the future also good. Right?
That’s what I call “reckless assumption”! We have to be fair and stay as objective as possible!
In that case, as you want to know, you will have to buy the stuff, drop ship it to Amir or another tester and have it tested.

The likelyhood that it does nothing beneficial at all is huge. You'll be out of a LOT of money and would very likely have to admit that this too falls into the snake-oil territory.
Regardless of how many 'positive' reviews there are going to be regarding these and other Nordost products.
They DO work but not in an electrical way which we are supposed to believe they do.

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

Viewed the video and did not get a clue how the noise reducer technically works. There was mentioned a resonant circuit but also sampled noise. Perhaps the idea behind the products may not be bad. But as an EE I would like to understand what really happens. And the description in the video was not detailed enough. I think it was not the intention of this video, it is a sales pitch.
Absolutely agree

Galliardist

Major Contributor
A quick look at the video shows that there is no evidence given that the products work. Some on-screen measurements showing the probability of an audible improvement would be a good start.

I don't care to worry about "how" a product of this type works, until somebody shows me that it does.

It's up to them to provide proof, not us.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You do not understand me that well. I’m not here to promote for Nordost! I’m here to look for technical answers to reveal the Nordost sellers BS claims!

The biggest way to think about things is that
1) when you vacuum the interior of your car, you probably gain fuel efficiency because the mass you remove means that your car weighs less

This is scientific fact*

2) In real world, if your tires are properly inflated, overinflated or underinflated, the contact pressure from removing the dust in your car may change and there may be net negative or net positive fuel economy.

That is also scientific fact and gets into the “different systems may respond more or less…”

3) BUT in any case, you are probably better off improving your fuel economy by going to the bathroom before driving off or exercising to lose weight.

So the problem with Nordost is never that it breaks your system or that it is dangerous. For that amount of money, you SHOULD invest in better speakers. If not speakers, the same of money invested into electronics could decrease your baseline noise, etc.

That is, there is indeed a nugget of truth that vacuuming your car improves fuel efficiency and responsiveness of your car. It’s factual. The problem is if I charged $5000 to vacuum your car…

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Also, in this video, they talk about 3 new products which have not been measured yet or understand how they affect the signal chain yet. So if we are wise gentlemen, we must be fair and cannot make reckless assumptions. What if there is a slight chance that 1 in 1000 Nordos products actually works and can make things better. Right!?

Judging by the thumb nail, it's a product in same family as this complete nonsense from Furutech:

These kind of companies and the peddlers of their wares will never give a plausible explanation of how their "tech" works.

There's really no reason to watch these videos hoping to come across a blind hen that found a grain. I guarantee you that it's worthless technobabble from start to finish.

None of these magical dongles, that you plug into the mains, can do anything that the PSUs in your gear don't give a f¤¤k about.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's all in parallel to preserve the dynamics, mmmkayy.

Mmmhmm. Mmmmkayyyy

delta76

Major Contributor
Ok! I would like to explain more why I come into decision posting this.

First of all, I’m prefer to be a reader, rather than talker, that’s why I joined a long time, but do not post regularly. Do not think active member is the one who talks plenty. Actually, I read plenty instead.

Secondly, I know Nordost is the company making lots of snake oil products which make no differences in measurement, and also many products cause degradation and introduce more noise into the system instead of cleaning/reducing it as their claims. I know and I fully understand that.

However, we have to be very fair. Not all Nordost products have been measured, and due to complication in every system chain, we might not 100% sure how and it might affect or benefit the system. Right?

Also, in this video, they talk about 3 new products which have not been measured yet or understand how they affect the signal chain yet. So if we are wise gentlemen, we must be fair and cannot make reckless assumptions. What if there is a slight chance that 1 in 1000 Nordos products actually works and can make things better. Right!?

So, for now, we can analyse what the Nordost sellers said, and find what he said actually wrong and point that out, so we can confidently assume that these 3 new products are no better than their snake-oil ones previously made!

I’m here for peace, and i’m on your side! Not to try marketing for Nordost!
Uhm, if you still think Nordost cables need to be measured to draw a conclusion, well then.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You cannot make assumption like that bro. If every Nordost products have been measured so far are bad, you cannot assume that ALL their products are bad.
Let say, if some products of one company have measurement results really good, you cannot assume that ALL products that company make in the future also good. Right?
That’s what I call “reckless assumption”! We have to be fair and stay as objective as possible!
If your premises are wrong, then your conclusions are wrong. That is not even considering intentional fraud. The premises of all these Nordost products are wrong. Some may well measure just fine. When you are charging 100 times the price vs a product with equivalent performance then they still are a poor choice. I've known people who purchased their products. One of the funny things is they have for years talked about better noise performance and some of their products by design are just the reverse. Prone to noise pickup. I've experienced it too with those I know who purchased their products.

So it is not a reckless assumption that whatever they are pushing is probably BS. They've earned their reputation. So I don't have to measure every product to have a reasonable opinion their products either do nothing at great cost or actually perform poorly. Yes, they might make a good product, but their years long behavior is against it and they would need to dramatically reduce pricing.

If you want proof on every single thing this BS company makes, then knock yourself out. For most of us the odds are heavily in favor of that being a waste of time. It is a waste of your time too even if you don't realize it yet. So your being given fair warning, but it is up to you what you do with it.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Noise, noise, noise.

The Audiophile's Noise Floor can *always* be lower!

Because Audiophiles have an infinite capacity to imagine hear an ever decreasing noise floor, down to the background noise of the Big Bang. (And I'm sure some audio company is working on a product to remove even that from sullying your audio system's mid range liquidity)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Secondly, I know Nordost is the company making lots of snake oil products which make no differences in measurement, and also many products cause degradation and introduce more noise into the system instead of cleaning/reducing it as their claims. I know and I fully understand that.

However, we have to be very fair. Not all Nordost products have been measured, and due to complication in every system chain, we might not 100% sure how and it might affect or benefit the system. Right?
What we have to be, before fair, is not stupid.

Every tested Nordost product so far doesn't work.

Furthermore, there is no scientific reason to think they COULD work, every reason to think they COULD NOT.

It would be completely stupid to pretend we don't know what's going on at this point.

If every Nordost products have been measured so far are bad, you cannot assume that ALL their products are bad.
Uh, yeah we can. This is noncommercial product testing, not a court of law or government lab.

Every apple I have eaten in my life tastes like apple. "You can't assume all apples taste like apples!" Err... what else would I do? In some philosophical sense that's right, you can't assume. In every other sense, that would be a dumb way to live.

I get that you want to honestly understand why these product don't work, but Nordost is so bad that they are honestly not worth the time. It's very similar to asking why a perpetual motion device doesn't work. Maybe it does this time? No, it doesn't. No need to watch a video about it either way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

I know Nordost is the company making lots of snake oil products which make no differences in measurement, and also many products cause degradation and introduce more noise into the system instead of cleaning/reducing it as their claims. I know and I fully understand that.

If you know and understand that, then why even mention their name in a post on this site?

If every Nordost products have been measured so far are bad, you cannot assume that ALL their products are bad.

That's like saying, "If you've cut off seven of your fingers in a buzzsaw, you cannot assume it will cut off the eighth one." Oh yes, we can!

To give any consideration, however slight, to snake-oil purveyors like this is to treat them with an iota of respect that they do not deserve.

Jim Taylor

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

If your premises are wrong, then your conclusions are wrong. That is not even considering intentional fraud. The premises of all these Nordost products are wrong. Some may well measure just fine. When you are charging 100 times the price vs a product with equivalent performance then they still are a poor choice. I've known people who purchased their products. One of the funny things is they have for years talked about better noise performance and some of their products by design are just the reverse. Prone to noise pickup. I've experienced it too with those I know who purchased their products.

So it is not a reckless assumption that whatever they are pushing is probably BS. They've earned their reputation. So I don't have to measure every product to have a reasonable opinion their products either do nothing at great cost or actually perform poorly. Yes, they might make a good product, but their years long behavior is against it and they would need to dramatically reduce pricing.

If you want proof on every single thing this BS company makes, then knock yourself out. For most of us the odds are heavily in favor of that being a waste of time. It is a waste of your time too even if you don't realize it yet. So your being given fair warning, but it is up to you what you do with it.
Now I can agree with you! At least we on the same page now! I just wanna be fair and don’t rule out anything! Of course it’s the Nordost to prove their product to work as their claims. However, if we can find their talks are non-sense or technically wrong, then the 3 new Nordost products are also BS!

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

If you know and understand that, then why even mention their name in a post on this site?

That's like saying, "If you've cut off seven of your fingers in a buzzsaw, you cannot assume it will cut off the eighth one." Oh yes, we can!

To give any consideration, however slight, to snake-oil purveyors like this is to treat them with an iota of respect that they do not deserve.

Jim Taylor
I know many members on this forum hate Nordost so much. But do not let hatres to blur your mind and reasoning. I just wanna be fair, even I do not like Nordost too.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now I can agree with you! At least we on the same page now! I just wanna be fair and don’t rule out anything! Of course it’s the Nordost to prove their product to work as their claims. However, if we can find their talks are non-sense or technically wrong, then the 3 new Nordost products are also BS!
You got it.
Given their ”remarkable” claims, surely the onus is on them to provide real proof. Until this happens I don’t see any need to analyse their videos

Top Bottom