• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 18.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 173 76.9%

• Total voters

dukanvadet

Forum Donor
I wonder how much if any of the extra power is from having all of the psu capacity available to one channel? Could the stereo module deliver the same with one channel driven or even on both channels with a beefier psu? Can we tell from the measurement where the bottleneck is?

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
I wonder how much if any of the extra power is from having all of the psu capacity available to one channel? Could the stereo module deliver the same with one channel driven or even on both channels with a beefier psu? Can we tell from the measurement where the bottleneck is?

Good question, I first thought the 260-2-29A Stereo module could be set in PBTL for a Mono configuration, but read this :

If you look up the datasheet of the TPA3255 we have :

1702230438752.png
1702230471871.png

natna

I think the right word would be assembly, the implementation is more relative to the Module itself and the TI chip.
But it is true that drilling a case according to the rules of the art is not a simple task.... what's more, the choice of the case in a dual Mono assembly must take into account heat dissipation and therefore the capacity of the enclosure to meet this need.

That's what my thoughts are.
A relatively large and beefy aluminum enclosure must be used to keep the chips cool enough.
Possibly one of those with the side heatsinks. And this would be about 150
euros +-
So the whole project for the dual mono in EU would be 400-500E. And may it be a very nicely performing and futureproof amp, but at that price range, there's strong competition...

daniboun

Major Contributor
A relatively large and beefy aluminum enclosure must be used to keep the chips cool enough.
euros +-
So the whole project for the dual mono in EU would be 400-500E. And may it be a very nicely performing and futureproof amp, but at that price range, there's strong competition...

I will share asap my next dual Mono project ) "The clever man" always finds solutions to price problems)
You will see the pre-drilled case that I found and you will be quite surprised by its great quality/ price)
Will let you know all the details soon :)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
No way a finished product is €200. And I don't see any hypex offering in that price range that have comparable power of performance
I'm not saying its a finished product for that kind of money. It is when DYI.

You can get a NC252MP finished in a case for under €500 (its stereo). Lower SINAD, slightly more power, also seems to have lower distortion at higher frequencies (remember, the SINADscore is only for 5W @ 1kHz).

We also have a Topping PA7 for €500, similar power, slightly lower SINAD, but better multitone performance.

So this product is not some kind of magical leap or anything, just another solid competitor in this market.

wwenze

Major Contributor
euros +-
1702233115383.png

BTW this is what a 20W heatsink looks like:
atirad9000.jpg

Generally speaking, directly bolting onto the chassis is good enough to cool 50 to 100W. Trying to go higher is usually fruitless, because for example if you want to double it to 200W, you will need to double the surface area, which usually means double the enclosure size. External finning adds complication, and generally the surface area added by finning isn't 100% as effective as the brute surface area of the enclosure, it works but not a good use of metal.

Last edited:

georgehifi

The differentiation is pulling the required class D filter into the amplifier feedback loop (PFFB) and with it, essentially eliminate the effect of speaker load on frequency response.
Amirm hi, did you get to see how it's load tested FR looked without the filter in the feedback loop?

Cheers George

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
So if one is selecting a single power supply to support two of these mono 3e modules in single chassis, I presume it would be the LOF550-20B48-C model on the 3e store site?

Oddly, their power supply recommendation chart covers four configurations . . . but not the obvious (to me and many others here) dual mono case.

Sfeee1f434796446bbd79663ba814df79N.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm hi, did you get to see how it's load tested FR looked without the filter in the feedback loop?

Cheers George
I didn't know it was configurable that way.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is pretty impressive performance. Looks as though they did not have mono case to use though!:D

@amirm is the case grounded?

Last edited:

natna

BTW this is what a 20W heatsink looks like:
atirad9000.jpg
:)
Sorry, it's ridiculously not enough for my taste and the longevity of the module. And I, noisewise, hate fans in home audio applications.
You may be right mathematically speaking, since we usually use 10-20 watts in normal listening situations, but it's not for me...

DonR

Major Contributor
:)
Sorry, it's ridiculously not enough for my taste and the longevity of the module. And I, noisewise, hate fans in home audio applications.
You may be right mathematically speaking, since we usually use 10-20 watts in normal listening situations, but it's not for me...
20W of heat dissapation would equate to about 150W into 8 ohms going to the speaker at 85% efficiency. The graph confirms that.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
20W of heat dissapation would equate to about 150W into 8 ohms going to the speaker at 85% efficiency. The graph confirms that.
It’s been awhile, but isn’t the power dissipation for the heat sink calculated at 1/8th full load (I think Hypex’s white paper on cooling said that). So even 20 watt dissipation would be overkill for the 8 ohm application.? It would be a sink suitable for 75 watts in the 2 ohm application and 5 watts in the 4 ohm?

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not even close to SOTA. And I’ll bet the IMD is actually audible in this amplifier.
Really? Under what conditions? I can see maybe with very high powered test tones.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Really? Under what conditions? I can see maybe with very high powered test tones.
It's a technical review so engineering it's all that matters,audibility not so much.
And since some do a lot better comparisons are unavoidable.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a technical review so engineering it's all that matters,audibility not so much.
And since some do a lot better comparisons are unavoidable.
I get that. And I agree there are better amps out there, but there was a claim about audibility, and I was curious since looking at the two tone test, music would have to be on full blast to even get that much power up there wouldn’t it? And the distortion is 14 bits down.

TNT

Yepp - here we go by the numbers - what you (think) you hear does not weigh in. Hopefully the measurements are complete...

//

Top Bottom