• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 18.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 173 76.9%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Decided not to vote in order not to skew results.

It's clearly a very good amp module, but as a DIY proposition I'd never know if I had implemented it correctly.

Impressive and, for me, one to watch out for if suppliers start offering finished units ... although I'd still look for measurements of those implementations.

It does feel that very high quality amplification is getting cheaper. That's fantastic.
Implemented? Its literally just hooking up a power supply :D.

sarieri

Forum Donor
I looked at the capacitive load measurements carefully and wonder whether I interpret it correctly. So basically it’s saying that with capacitive loads, at 1% THD+N level, the power is still 500ish wattage. It’s not implying much about the power vs. distortion graph right?

For example, one amp could have 0.999% distortion at all power level while the other one have very low distortion level just like with the purely resistive load. And this test won’t be able to tell which amp is better right?

ocinn

Insane. 3E has mastered the implementation of these ICs.

In the real world, with todays passive speakers (majority can’t even clear -50db THD) this is completely transparent and outputs more than generous power at comically low cost.

I hope an assembler realizes how insane these 3E modules are for the price and starts selling pre-assembled power amps using them. Right now the only barrier to entry on owning these is the requirement to DIY

daniboun

Major Contributor
One has to drill some holes too,make a nice,perfect surface to couple module with the case,etc.
Not difficult but not as easy as it looks either.

I think the right word would be assembly, the implementation is more relative to the Module itself and the TI chip.
But it is true that drilling a case according to the rules of the art is not a simple task.... what's more, the choice of the case in a dual Mono assembly must take into account heat dissipation and therefore the capacity of the enclosure to meet this need.

ocinn

I think the right word would be assembly, the implementation is more relative to the Module itself and the TI chip.
But it is true that drilling a case according to the rules of the art is not a simple task.... what's more, the choice of the case in a dual Mono assembly must take into account heat dissipation and therefore the capacity of the enclosure to meet this need.
The people in the market for an amps like these (more specifically the stereo version) are cross-shopping them to products like the Fosi V3 and topping pa5-ii etc….

Which, these 3E modules completely trounce in performance and especially value.

If a manufacturer (or more accurately, an assembler) is able to purchase these boards in bulk from 3E, throw them in a case with a power supply and ship them for similar cost to their competitors, it would be game over for all of the competition.

I envision a buckeye-style assembler. 0 frills, 0 BS. Pay a small premium over DIY for the case + psu + labor/overhead/convenience = profit

daniboun

Major Contributor
If a manufacturer (or more accurately, an assembler) is able to purchase these boards in bulk from 3E, throw them in a case with a power supply and ship them for similar cost to their competitors, it would be game over for all of the competition.

On the way... but I can't tell more for the moment )

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Implemented? Its literally just hooking up a power supply :D.
That, and assembling it in a nice case and knowing that it won't electrocute my dog ...

Since it's so simple I look forward to inexpensive and certified finished units soon. Balanced inputs please :)

wwenze

Major Contributor
The people in the market for an amps like these (more specifically the stereo version) are cross-shopping them to products like the Fosi V3 and topping pa5-ii etc….

Which, these 3E modules completely trounce in performance and especially value.

I envision a buckeye-style assembler. 0 frills, 0 BS. Pay a small premium over DIY for the case + psu + labor/overhead/convenience = profit
What's more likely going to happen in some guy in China copies the entire PCB and start selling complete amps...

ocinn

What's more likely going to happen in some guy in China copies the entire PCB and start selling complete amps...
these modules have been around for awhile and the Chinese amp board market still has not been able/chosen to make any competent PFFB modules yet.

If they miraculously start doing so, that speaks to the huge influence ASR has.

Sokel

Master Contributor

It's not so simple in Europe for a finished amp as safety rules require certifications and one must have a legitimate business to get them,let alone the credentials as after all is an electrical device,can burn a house if things go south,can shock someone to death.

Yep,the cost will go up if done legally (taxes also,etc) but a house or a person costs far-far more.

daniboun

Major Contributor
3E Audio is a Chinese brand ) But actually that would not prevent another Chinese company from copying the concept )
Without looking too far, Sylph Audio which is based in the Philippines already offers a competing module : the D400M. As far as I know, it will soon be tested on ASR

Last edited:

ocinn

3e Audio is based in Shenzhen, China.
I was referring to the IP-thief factories that pump out generic/copied products that are all over aliexpress etc.

Not companies which are the innovators/designers like 3E, topping, SMSL, etc who are also based in China.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It is not SOTA above 1khz
We do not listen to sine sweeps or white noise.

Say that you're completely maxing out this Amp, playing well mastered music with even spectral distribution:
Spectrum_of_music_for_reviewing.png

With 165W Peaks at <500Hz, you will only output ~8W at 5kHz, ~4W at 10kHz, and ~0.4W at 20kHz.
480-3e audio 1-29A Mono class D amplifier Kit TPA3255 Power 4 ohm vs frequency Measurements.png

In this way, Amir's THD+N vs Power vs Frequency graphs can be a bit misleading.
100+ Watts at 5/10/20kHz is absolutely insane and does not represent real world usage.

Sokel

Master Contributor
We do not listen to sine sweeps or white noise.

Say that you're completely maxing out this Amp, playing well mastered music with even spectral distribution:
View attachment 333107

With 165W Peaks at <500Hz, you will only output ~8W at 5kHz, ~4W at 10kHz, and ~0.4W at 20kHz.
View attachment 333110

In this way, Amir's THD+N vs Power vs Frequency graphs can be a bit misleading.
100+ Watts at 5/10/20kHz is absolutely insane and does not represent real world usage.
I think he means it from the engineering perceptive comparing it with the others on the top chart like the LA90 for example.or the NCxxxx comparing it with class D as audibility rarely matters in the technical reviews.

1702211604913.png 1702211637478.png

(unfortunately Amir hasn't measured a Halcro Eclipse yet :) )

Kervel

Forum Donor
So the stereo version reaches 92 watt at 8 ohm, and the mono 102? Seems only a marginal update at double cost.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sylph Audio which is based in the Philippines already offers a competing module: the D400M. As far as I know, it will soon be tested on ASR
Yes, but we will send our upcoming FB360 (and FB100) instead of D400M (we'll request to Amir around January). FB360 and FB100 have deeper PFFB (higher feedback factor) than the rest of the competition so the IMD and 32 tone tests will be better.

Just bought MORNSUN LOF550-20B48-C because it has an easy power on switch implementation. And it doesn't affect the FFT measurements which means it provides clean power.

Nice performance BTW for this 480-1-29A!, the performance is near Topping PA7. (edit: 3e has 10dB worse 32 tone on high frequencies vs PA7)
I mentioned before on the 3e thread that the mono version has a higher output power than the stereo version, which was proven correct with this mono and stereo review.

Also, I noticed that the stereo version is shutting down on 20Hz clipping which indicates that it has a marginal stability. Would be interested if one of its channels will be tested on a reactive load test, since 2 channels cannot be tested simultaneously. Dual mono is the way to go for getting the highest power and performance for the TPA3255 chip.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Not bad for about €200 for a finished product (if you use a very cheap case). But that's still in the range of the cheaper Hypex offerings. So its competitive but not ground breaking.
No way a finished product is €200. And I don't see any hypex offering in that price range that have comparable power of performance

Top Bottom