• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 18.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 173 76.9%

• Total voters

CamRector

Let s see what Bruno Putzeys thinks about this

I don’t doubt what he says is true for most. Especially 20 years ago lol
My system ground is completely seperate from my home. Each component chassis is connected to the Puritan route/ground master then to 2 seperate exterior 8ft grounding rods.
The Puritan 156 is has its own isolated direct circuit.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I don’t doubt what he says is true for most. Especially 20 years ago lol
My system ground is completely seperate from my home. Each component chassis is connected to the Puritan route/ground master then to 2 seperate exterior 8ft grounding rods.
The Puritan 156 is has its own isolated direct circuit.

Anyway have fun with your project and share final results asap ---))

lazerharp

Would be nice to have a dual mono from Audiophonics. I asked and got this answer :)

"At the time we speak it's not planned ... but why not if there's enough demand ."

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would be nice to have a dual mono from Audiophonics. I asked and got this answer :)

"At the time we speak it's not planned ... but why not if there's enough demand ."

if the price goes next to Hypex / Purifi dual mono ... i don't know :)
The actual audiophonics 3e is close to the Hypex integrated modules (amplifier + power supply + buffer) price tag, so the 3e amplifiers have their arguments, but if the price goes close to the internally separated components ... is another thing. 3e needs more miles in the highway to compete (i think).

Reactions: MCH

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I don't know. The premium amplifiers - specifically NCx, Nilai and Pufiri - still have quite a significant price premium.

The older Hypex technologies like NCore sit somewhere in between 3E and the premium amps - both in performance and in pricing.

The 3E amps are a few dB better than the NCore amps with integrated amp and PSU (502, 252), though the latter are quite powerful.

Last edited:

mike70

I don't know. The premium amplifiers - specifically NCx, Nilai and Pufiri - still have quite a significant price premium.

The older Hypex technologies like NCore sit somewhere in between 3E and the premium amps - both in performance and in pricing.

The 3E amps are a few dB better than the NCore amps with integrated amp and PSU (502, 252), though the latter are quite powerful.

the differences between ncore and nilai are for bat ears, and "older" is what? 5 years? i know we're in the "tik tok" times ... but, please :)
i don't say that buy nilai isn't worth it, but i say that TODAY i'll prefer a ncore implementation over 3e if they are in the same price tag.

3e is good and if they're cheaper is something to try, in other case i prefer the solid options. It happens with everything in life, higher risk must be cheaper or with better profit.

charlielaub

Even the "older" UcD line of amplifier modules from Hypex are quite good by today's standards and you can still purchase them because they are still in production and used in commercial products.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I agree about the bat's ears, and I agree about reliability. I trust Hypex.
However I don't think you need bat's ears to exclude ICE and UcD, and I have a slight nagging doubt about NCore.
There are few good tests (though plenty of Purifi etc) but the ones I've seen have significantly rising distortion at high power. Fine to 5 or 10 watts, but increasing after that.
I think the 3E amps are better at keeping low distortion at high power. Not just low at the headline 5W level, but carries on getting lower.

Last edited:

mike70

I agree about the bat's ears, and I agree about reliability. I trust Hypex.
However I don't think you need bat's ears to exclude ICE and UcD, and I have a slight nagging doubt about NCore.
There are few good tests (though plenty of Purifi etc) but the ones I've seen have significantly rising distortion at high power. Fine to 5 or 10 watts, but increasing after that.
I think the 3E amps are better at keeping low distortion at high power. Not just low at the headline 5W level, but carries on getting lower.

Interesting.
How that correlates to Amir tests?

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I've owned several amplifiers that fall in the middle of Amir's ranking order. For me, those that measure 80dB SINAD or worse sound poor, and that includes a few ICE amps.

maty

Major Contributor
About RF/EMI filters..

Inlet filter + Micro Audio SMPS1K2-SKU at Orchard Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DIY kit, class D

Orchard - Starkrimson Stereo Ultra - Gary.png

Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DIY Kit 2.0

SMPS1K2-SKU.jpg

daniboun

Major Contributor
About RF/EMI filters..

Inlet filter + Micro Audio SMPS1K2-SKU at Orchard Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DIY kit, class D

Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DIY Kit 2.0

I only see here a standard IEC / EMI filter ....
This is a $2000 amplifier BTW

SonicSleuth

Some bits of mine arrived, 'Poo'chicon caps booo and only 3.75A air-cooled.

Attachments

• 20240125_191608.jpg
    20240125_191608.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20240125_191709.jpg
    20240125_191709.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20240125_191647.jpg
    20240125_191647.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 96

daniboun

Major Contributor
You are ahead of me, just the SMPS so far.. 3e tomorrow case next week.
View attachment 345014
Interesting. Seems we got a different revision of the PSU. Mine is using 4700uf Elna output caps and yours 3900uf Nichicon caps.
I also see that the transformer for aux. out is different. The last revision seems to have son Meanwell IRM 03-5 Encapsulated power supply

1706257346161.png

Last edited:

brunes

I went with +51v , I think you went with 48, perhaps thays why? No idea to be honest.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I went with +51v , I think you went with 48, perhaps thays why? No idea to be honest.
This not related to this. Aux outs have the same spec. We just have a different revision.
Moreover the output caps are rated @63v should be the same with the Nichicon but I cant see in the picture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom