• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB-2000 Pro vs SB-3000 Subwoofer Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

David_M

Hi!
I received my brand new SVS SB3000 a couple of days ago.
While testing frequencies below 35 Hz, I can clearly hear a strange vibrations from the driver itself. I just went to the floor with my ear near to the driver and it seems the vibrations/rattlings come from the middle of the driver (where there is the SVS logo).
Please have a look at this video.
Do you thinks my driver could be damaged?

I'm already in contact with SVS official support, but, of course, weekend slows down communication :)

The sad thing is that I found a couple of videos on YouTube about the same problem on the same model:

1. and
    Even with a replacement for two different users, the problem was not solved
  2. This user needed three replacement before getting a working one
BTW, SVS Director of engineering to me NEVER to test their speakers using constant test tones as that runs the very high risk of burning the voice coil, as I did on my first SVS SB4000 sample. I kept running tones in the 10 to 30Hz range to 'feel' the bass. Afterward it just stopped working after a while...and this was on a new subwoofer. Thankfully, they quickly exchanged it with a new one with no issues.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

HoleyMole

BTW, SVS Director of engineering to me NEVER to test their speakers using constant test tones as that runs the very high risk of burning the voice coil, as I did on my first SVS SB4000 sample. I kept running tones in the 10 to 30Hz range to 'feel' the bass. Afterward it just stopped working after a while...and this was on a new subwoofer. Thankfully, they quickly exchanged it with a new one with no issues.
I would be very scared of a subwoofer that, at a very low volume, will burn his voice coil with 30 seconds of 20 Hz tone :(

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would be very scared of a subwoofer that, at a very low volume, will burn his voice coil with 30 seconds of 20 Hz tone :(
He didn't state any SPL but did mention wanting to
running tones in the 10 to 30Hz range to 'feel' the bass
I don't image you can begin to "feel" the bass at 10hz at quiet levels.

HoleyMole

Hi,
just wanted to update you: Scott Miller reached out to me and, with the official Italian supplier, they arranged a free return shipment and sent me a new SB3000.
I received it a couple of hours ago, but the "strange vibration" is still there.
Am I unlucky or is a design flaw?

David_M

He didn't state any SPL but did mention wanting to
running tones in the 10 to 30Hz range to 'feel' the bass
I don't image you can begin to "feel" the bass at 10hz at quiet levels.
The deep bass was loud in my small one-bedroom apartment. The volume knob was set higher at the lowest frequencies because I couldn't hear or feel them enough at normal levels. Maybe a temperature-based self-protection circuit (not an infra-sonic filter!) could have resolved this issue.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The deep bass was loud in my small one-bedroom apartment. The volume knob was set higher at the lowest frequencies because I couldn't hear or feel them enough at normal levels. Maybe a temperature-based self-protection circuit (not an infra-sonic filter!) could have resolved this issue.
Sure, maybe, I don't know.
I've had a pair of SB-2000's for a few years now with zero problems.
SVS isn't known for producing/selling cheap drivers but anything can be over-stressed.
As the SVS engineer told you, running a constant tone at 10-30hz into the driver at high
levels can definitely create a voice coil temp issue. Thermal protection might avoid an
issue but at what cost to the buyer ? The bean counters have to consider everything. ;)

Top Bottom