• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB-1000 Pro vs PB-1000 vs SB-2000

viper900

I'm looking to buy a subwoofer for my small office (2.5m width x 3.9m length x 2.4m height) and I'm not sure what to purchase.

I'll be ordering online so organising a return will be a royal pain - at my own expense - so want to ensure I pick the right sub!

Primary usage will be gaming.

My speakers:
Monitor Audio Apex A10 x4
Monitor Audio Apex A40 centre

Prices:
PB-1000 = £449
SB-1000 Pro = £549
SB-2000 = £599

Any advice?

Last edited:

ThELiZ

I'd personally save some money and get the Q Acoustics QB12. Sure, it hasn't got the parametric eq features of the SVS subs, but if you have an AV processor with eq, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The QB12 outperforms the SB-1000 Pro, as per sweetchaos' sub spreadsheet: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/subwoofer-comparison.20494/

The only negative is the QB12 is a fair bit bigger than the SB-1000.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Welcome. Can you tell us a bit more about your system?
This would help a little... All these subwoofers are quite capable for this roon size.. The final results are hevily dependent on what you use to integrate the subwoofer with your mains. Well integrated in this room.. they'll likely to sound the same...

Peace.

OP
V

viper900

Hi

Welcome. Can you tell us a bit more about your system?
This would help a little... All these subwoofers are quite capable for this roon size.. The final results are hevily dependent on what you use to integrate the subwoofer with your mains. Well integrated in this room.. they'll likely to sound the same...

Peace.
I have the Monitor Audio Apex with the Denon X1700H.

Last edited:
OP
V

viper900

office2.jpg

This is my office for reference if this helps with decision making.

Palmspar

Go for the sb2000 a better sealed sub in a small room extends deeper than the ported pb1000.
I have that subwoofer its great for smal medium size rooms.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Go for the sb2000 a better sealed sub in a small room extends deeper than the ported pb1000.
I have that subwoofer its great for smal medium size rooms.
Yes, what data do you base on to make this statement?
From the subwoofer comparison spreadsheet it appears that the pb1000 is already at 105 db at 20hz compared to the 95 db of the sb2000

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Huhuh... Get a measurement microphone and measure speakers response as there are no measurements for those whatsoever. SB-2000 all do having a hi SPL ain't for crossing with small speakers as it rolls of relatively soon. Those speakers are on the small side (5.5" woffer) so would need to be cut way beyond 80 Hz (130~160 Hz) but then you need pair of sub's, one each chenel and you simply don't have room for something like that (or maybe you do straight in the corner where speaker stands are now).
It's a small office and two 10" sealed sub's would be more than enough especially put in corners regarding SPL. Which one's? It doesn't matter much as long as they can be low passed high enough with linear response and you have means DSP-ing it all. I am happy with 2x Wharfedale WH-D10 in a small room crossed with bigger mains in 2.2 system.

Palmspar

Yes, what data do you base on to make this statement?
From the subwoofer comparison spreadsheet it appears that the pb1000 is already at 105 db at 20hz compared to the 95 db of the sb2000
I said deeper not louder, a sealed sub goes almost flat to 10 hz in a small room.

Talisman

Forum Donor
I said deeper not louder, a sealed sub goes almost flat to 10 hz in a small room.
Again, how did you deduce this? Neither pb1000 nor sb2000 have ratings at 15 and 10hz, the only measurements we have start from 20hz and tell of a pb1000 with 10db more loud

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Again, how did you deduce this? Neither pb1000 nor sb2000 have ratings at 15 and 10hz, the only measurements we have start from 20hz and tell of a pb1000 with 10db more loud
Look at 40 Hz performance, under that on ported is port cuff anyway and you may have problems you can't really solve with such (depending on room and how wild refractions and ringing get). So it's better going with closed and don't making things worser then they have to be in the first place. Microphone and measuring are your friends.

Elitzur–Vaidman

View attachment 330652
This is my office for reference if this helps with decision making.
For that room size I'd go with an SB-1000 Pro (or even a 3000 micro). The DSP options will be super helpful for integrating them with your speakers and judging by the size of your speakers, you don't need the additional output of a larger, ported sub.

Top Bottom