• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB 1000 Pro vs SVS SB 2000 non-Pro

D

Deleted member 48726

Unless you’re smart.
Explain. Unless you've copyrighted the "smart method" ;)

DSP, heavy driver with large excursion and 1000 watts might take you part of the way in a small(er) footprint. That may be considered smart. But if you have the room for a large ported sub you should get one (or two).

OP
M

marX

Well, I called the shop and they said I have to take the delivered package and then bring it back to their shop and they will get the PB 1000 Pro delivered to my address today itself if possible.

Edit:

I set up demo of the SVS as they have an SB 1000 Pro in stock. They unfortunately don't have a PB 1000 Pro to compare against.
Let's see!

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power is cheap, good drivers are available, and multiples dramatically increase low end efficiency. So it’s not that hard to be smart, and it certainly doesn’t require the compromises of large boxes with vent resonances and basically no ability to pressurize a room below their cutoff.

OP
M

marX

I got the SB 1000 Pro but not opened the box as instructed. On my way to the shop to demo with my dac, amp and cables and stuff.

OP
M

marX

DSP, heavy driver with large excursion and 1000 watts might take you part of the way in a small(er) footprint. That may be considered smart. But if you have the room for a large ported sub you should get one (or two).
SVS uses a lot of DSP especially for better bottom end response, aren't they?

I watched the comparison of them (ported SVS vs ported Monolith) by Erin and it's evident to my untrained eyes. If they do this much DSP stuff for ported, wonder what's the situation with sealed.

D

Deleted member 48726

Power is cheap, good drivers are available, and multiples dramatically increase low end efficiency. So it’s not that hard to be smart, and it certainly doesn’t require the compromises of large boxes with vent resonances and basically no ability to pressurize a room below their cutoff.
That doesn't change the fact that if you have room for a ported sub vs. a sealed of the same power and driver size you get a LOT more for your money with the ported.

D

Deleted member 48726

SVS uses a lot of DSP especially for better bottom end response, aren't they?

I watched the comparison of them (ported SVS vs ported Monolith) by Erin and it's evident to my untrained eyes. If they do this much DSP stuff for ported, wonder what's the situation with sealed.
Of course they do. :)

OP
M

marX

While I'm getting an SVS sub now, the ultimate option is to build your own sub, but with a huge box (ported or transmission line), right?

OP
M

marX

Just had a listen in their treated room and it was underwhelming. My floor standing speakers have more bass than this!
OR they did the setup wrong.

D

Deleted member 48726

Just had a listen in their treated room and it was underwhelming. My floor standing speakers have more bass than this!
OR they did the setup wrong.
Which sub? What room?

OP
M

marX

They even let it play at Max volume and it was just boomy bass. No 'chest thumping' bass I was looking for. But they let me open my delivery and try it in my place and see if I can make it work. Otherwise, I can return it and get a better one.
Which sub? What room?
SVS SB 1000 Pro in the demo room of Richer Sounds UK.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They even let it play at Max volume and it was just boomy bass. No 'chest thumping' bass I was looking for. But they let me open my delivery and try it in my place and see if I can make it work. Otherwise, I can return it and get a better one.

SVS SB 1000 Pro in the demo room of Richer Sounds UK.
the "chest thump" (i think) you are referring to is mid bass (50hz to 80 hz in general) ..."seat of the pants " thump is sub bass... the mid bass effect is often room modes and / or set up.. do you think they may have set up the room that way on purpose? then told you about the "chest thump" to sell you a sub?

stren

Forum Donor
First step get a decent sub (or four) that measure well and have the output capability at the frequency range you need (fundamentally well designed subs will have similar performance based on their size). But after that integration is everything. If there is no room correction then you may as well not bother. Once it's integrated you can play with the house curve you want to get the requisite response that you want.

Last edited:
OP
M

marX

the "chest thump" (i think) you are referring to is mid bass (50hz to 80 hz in general) ..."seat of the pants " thump is sub bass... the mid bass effect is often room modes and / or set up.. do you think they may have set up the room that way on purpose? then told you about the "chest thump" to sell you a sub?
They very well could have! I mean there was very little bass. But I already got a sub from them and if I return this sub, they will lose some money as it would become an open box item even though I would be buying a slightly pricier sub later.
First step get a decent sub (or four) that measure well and have the output capability at the frequency range you need (fundamentally well designed subs will have similar performance based on their size). But after that integration is everything. If there is no room correction then you may as well not bother. Once it's integrated you can play with the house curve you want to get the requisite response that you want.
I need to measure the room modes and will be getting an Umik-1 for that. I have a 14-day return window and have to start ASAP.
--------------------------------
So, I came home and connected the DAC stereo out to the sub line-in and then the line-out to the Fosi V3 amp which is connected to the Revel M16 bookshelf speakers. I set the crossover to 80hz with the sub volume -30db. It was OK. Definitely more bass qty than in the demo room. But still, that 'chest thumping' bass was missing. Then I tried to increase the lower end (25hz), but it was getting boomy (like a distant thunder). I guess tw 2022 is right or the SVS sub I got is faulty.

My dac is the Topping NX4 which I use with my Sennheiser HD 560S for listening to music and with the bass boost on, its fantastic. Not the same with the current system (regarding the bass).

Another experiment I did was to turn off the Fosi amp so that I could listen to the sub alone and was surprised to find there is very little music content below 80hz (especially in older tracks on Spotify).

I don't know what to do next apart from ordering the Umik-1!
Any help would be appreciated.

stren

Forum Donor
while you wait for the UMIK you can do a manual cal - use REW to do a slow or manually stepped sweep of 20-100Hz and identify the peaks/troughs either by ear or use an SPL app on your phone. It'll be approx but may help you understand the room dynamics a bit and also what freq feels like a thump to you.

OP
M

marX

while you wait for the UMIK you can do a manual cal - use REW to do a slow or manually stepped sweep of 20-100Hz and identify the peaks/troughs either by ear or use an SPL app on your phone. It'll be approx but may help you understand the room dynamics a bit and also what freq feels like a thump to you.
Thanks, will do.

BTW, how should I set my system up? I mean I have individual sub and speaker amp volume control. Also, the Topping NX 4 has two outputs, headphone (with volume control) and line-out (with better sinad but no volume control). I guess I should use the line-out, right?

Do I start with as loud as I'm comfortable and then do the frequency sweep and measure with a phone-based SPL meter?

radix

Major Contributor
Thanks, will do.

BTW, how should I set my system up? I mean I have individual sub and speaker amp volume control. Also, the Topping NX 4 has two outputs, headphone (with volume control) and line-out (with better sinad but no volume control). I guess I should use the line-out, right?

Do I start with as loud as I'm comfortable and then do the frequency sweep and measure with a phone-based SPL meter?

The volume control on the sub only controls the sub mix. it will not affect the out to the amp from the sub. Those are just pass-through.

You should set the amp to not use its volume control. Use the "fixed inputs" if you have those or just turn the volume up to the max you would want. Then mix the sub in with its volume control. Then use the topping for master volume.

I assume you want to control the volume on your Topping?

Top Bottom