• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Micro 3000

Roy_L

Hello, I have 2 questions about possible changes to my system:

1. I've decided to add a sub, and I'm considering the SVS Micro 3000. Having a friend who's in the stereo business, I was able to borrow one for impressions (non-US, can't just buy to try), and it's excellent (seamless integration, bass I can feel and not just hear). However, I was wondering: since the Micro 3000 is a size compromise (as advanced as it is), perhaps it's better to consider a traditional SVS sub instead, for similar money? Suppose the SB-2000 Pro or SB-3000? (the PB's are way too big). the SB's are still not huge, and perhaps perform better? On the other hand, perhaps there is actual merit to the Micro 3000 with it's dual smaller woofers facing opposite directions over a traditional sub with a single big woofer?

2. My system is set in a regular apartment living room, and is comprised of 2 rather large bookshelf speakers (Dynaudio 20i) with 18cm woofers (~7.1 inches). On top of adding a sub (which takes the bass and general feel of the system up a few levels), is there any good reason to replace the speakers with a pair of floorstanders? To be clear- In this room there is no need for additional SPL, so I wonder about other benefits or shortcomings of such replacement (if any)- given there is a subwoofer.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not heard both side by side, but size matters and if you can, I would choose the SB2000 Pro for listening to music.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I use a pair of SVS Micro 3000 in my system for music and movies.

My room is 12’ x 12’ so not the biggest, but they have plenty of everything. Being sealed they were easy to blend with my Harbeth P3.

The SVS app is brilliant and allows adjustments of polarity, phase, setting 3 bands of PEQ, filter slope and frequency if needed.

2 bands of PEQ and some timing adjustments based on REW measurements got my subs pretty flat .

They are super easy to fit into room at 1ft cubed.

pchmykh

Using svs sb4000 for music, it depends on your room, main speakers and your budget. In general, the bigger bass driver is - the more capable it is reaching lower ends. So use 'micro' solutions only if you can't place bigger ones subs.

Willem

Major Contributor
The strength of the Micro3000 is obviously its small size for the performance. The price you pay for that is that you pay more money than what you would for larger subs with the same performance. So if size matters, go for it. If not, you have other options.
I would in any case recommend two subs (with some dsp room eq) for a smoother and cleaner response. These can be smaller than what you would need if you have only one sub to fill the room.

AseevAV

Using a test signal and the Spectroid app, I set up my Sennheiser Ambeo Plus and SVS 3000 Micro. I am pleased with the result.
Here are the SVS 3000 Micro settings

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_202155.jpg
    IMG_20230630_202155.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20230630_202302.jpg
    IMG_20230630_202302.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20230630_202224.jpg
    IMG_20230630_202224.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 252

CapMan

Major Contributor
Using a test signal and the Spectroid app, I set up my Sennheiser Ambeo Plus and SVS 3000 Micro. I am pleased with the result.
Here are the SVS 3000 Micro settings
I really like the Room Gain Comp option on the SVS subs

LearningToSmile

The strength of the Micro3000 is obviously its small size for the performance. The price you pay for that is that you pay more money than what you would for larger subs with the same performance. So if size matters, go for it. If not, you have other options.
I would in any case recommend two subs (with some dsp room eq) for a smoother and cleaner response. These can be smaller than what you would need if you have only one sub to fill the room.
Yep, I second that - I'd go with a solution that would more easily allow you to add a second sub later.

If you're space constrained, that would be the 3000 Micro.
If space is no issue but you're budget constrained, something like the SB-1000 might be better(or maybe non-Pro SB-2000, previous gen SVS subwoofers are often a great deal)

AseevAV

I really like the Room Gain Comp option on the SVS subs
It was like that without an equalizer.
Soundbar cutoff frequency 60 Hz

Attachments

• 16 Нейтр, без экв(0).jpg
    16 Нейтр, без экв(0).jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 117
Top Bottom