• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to 80% classical and haven’t heard a piece that is 85db and hits 115db peaks.
maybe I’m not understanding what you are saying . Apologies.
Some recordings of 1812 will do that, in fact. This was 77 -> 107 but if you turn up the volume you'd get 85/115. Granted, 85 average is too loud for me, it's quite uncomfortable for most people in fact which is why it's no longer recommended by modern HT standards for small rooms.

Average to max of 30dB is quite rare though, it's true, and that range doesn't fall on a single speaker either. Multichannel has a much easier time with larger dynamic ranges which is probably why multichannel recordings also have significantly higher dynamic range in general.

solrage

Some recordings of 1812 will do that, in fact. This was 77 -> 107 but if you turn up the volume you'd get 85/115. Granted, 85 average is too loud for me, it's quite uncomfortable for most people in fact which is why it's no longer recommended by modern HT standards for small rooms.

Average to max of 30dB is quite rare though, it's true, and that range doesn't fall on a single speaker either. Multichannel has a much easier time with larger dynamic ranges which is probably why multichannel recordings also have significantly higher dynamic range in general.
Yes, it's rare, and I assumed it wasn't accidental that most all of the loudest albums I measured were multi-channel ones. Still, it'd be nice to find good speakers for a reasonable price that can handle the dynamics of these rare albums with minimal compression and distortion.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I recently "discovered" that Telarc recording of the 1812 Overture with the "digital cannons" and I ordered a copy of the newer version they issued a couple years ago where they re-recorded the cannons for better sound. While it could well do a 30 dB jump, the cannons seem like mostly low frequency content. I'll have to do some frequency analyzing to see if there's enough HF content to damage hearing when the lows are at 75 dB or whatever.

Nkam

I said I listened to as loud as I could tolerate. I'm Irish, so I don't know my limit on certain activities, but I do know when Stravinsky is getting too loud.

i was replying to the other guy. Lol

but yeah I sometimes turn up to around 92-95db peaks.
my current speakers do start to get a bit hairy around 95db. So I can’t really go over that without some audible distortion.

Last edited:

RMW_NJ

IMG_3798.png
IMG_3797.png
Saw these posted on Facebook. Looks like EAC has his hands on the BMR HT. Rather impressive.

Ole812

If anyone is looking for a pair of the Philharmonic HT's I may be selling my pair. They are unique because they have a prototype walnut veneer finish that Dennis decided not to market.
Have you been able to sell your Philharmonic HTs?

Ole812

Does anyone know when the HT Towers will be back in stock? Website currently saying they are “sold out”. I recently bought the new HT Center Channel, and was getting ready to take the next step and order the LR Phil HTs.

JAJDACT

Does anyone know when the HT Towers will be back in stock? Website currently saying they are “sold out”. I recently bought the new HT Center Channel, and was getting ready to take the next step and order the LR Phil HTs.
I would probably email them and ask them [email protected]

alexis

Audio Company
Sorry we sold out quickly. There is one pair to be finalized this weekend. If it did not go through, I'll reserve it for you. The next batch is likely to be in August / September. You can claim your $200 discount. The good news is I'm opening up the custom order again if you would like your HT Towers to be in a different finish of your choice. Or make it Streamline version. Details here: www.alexissonus.com

paradoxical3

It goes without saying that the measurements on these speakers are truly superlative. But one thing I'm having a bit of trouble ascertaining is SPL output compared to something like the Perlisten R7T. A lot of the measurements I've seen on both speakers for distortion and compression are done at different distances or SPL levels, which makes it hard to directly compare. The S7t are 4x as expensive, but through a dealer the R7t - while still significantly more expensive - less than 2x as much.

If the goal is to listen at 15-20ft away and hit peaks over 100db in classical music, is the HT Tower up to the task? I would crossing them at 80hz and using a good subwoofer. They would be driven by a Buckeye Amps NCx500 module.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It goes without saying that the measurements on these speakers are truly superlative. But one thing I'm having a bit of trouble ascertaining is SPL output compared to something like the Perlisten R7T. A lot of the measurements I've seen on both speakers for distortion and compression are done at different distances or SPL levels, which makes it hard to directly compare. The S7t are 4x as expensive, but through a dealer the R7t - while still significantly more expensive - less than 2x as much.

If the goal is to listen at 15-20ft away and hit peaks over 100db in classical music, is the HT Tower up to the task? I would crossing them at 80hz and using a good subwoofer. They would be driven by a Buckeye Amps NCx500 module.
Is your goal to hit 100+dB at 20'?

paradoxical3

Is your goal to hit 100+dB at 20'?

Yes, peaks but not sustained. I want to listen at realistic orchestral levels, especially because sometimes I will be accompanying it with a real grand piano in a large room 57x34x12. I understand some will say I must use pro speakers, but I am trying to see if something like the HT towers or Perlistens can provide enough spl where I can use them for everything instead of having two separate systems.

To me, orchestral classical music is all about dynamics, timbre and sense of space. It appears the HT towers excel in all of these; the only question is do they produce enough spl at 15-20ft away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom