• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 vs Devialet Expert

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This webinar is actually mostly about Eigentakt.

Interesting, but more of a white paper on the amp circuit and how it uses feedback and error correction than the M33, per se.

asruser2020

This webinar is actually mostly about Eigentakt.

Interesting, but more of a white paper on the amp circuit and how it uses feedback and error correction than the M33, per se.

The beginning of the webinar had some good high-level points about the M33, and the Q&A had some good questions.

watchnerd

I'll bet you're wearing a hesalite Speedmaster right this moment.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'll bet you're wearing a hesalite Speedmaster right this moment.

No Speedmaster today.

Today I'm wearing a beater.

Seiko-SRPC91K1-Save-the-Ocean-Turtle-1.jpg

Covid has reduced my wearing of my pricier watches; it feels weird if I'm wearing Mack Wheldon WFH pants all day.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So this is interesting:

On the webinar, they said that the dual subwoofer outputs of the NAD M33 are "independent, but not stereo".

And then go on to state it's dual mono and it has something to do with Dirac, but don't go into details...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So this is interesting:
On the webinar, they said that the dual subwoofer outputs of the NAD M33 are "independent, but not stereo".
And then go on to state it's dual mono and it has something to do with Dirac, but don't go into details...
All true. They both get the same mono sub signal but it is split before the application of DiracEQ. That permits DL Bass Correction to deal with each sub individually and according its performance in it particular acoustic position.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This unit intrigues me quite a lot. Hopefully measurements will appear here or in Stereophile at some point.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
All true. They both get the same mono sub signal but it is split before the application of DiracEQ. That permits DL Bass Correction to deal with each sub individually and according its performance in it particular acoustic position.

Thanks.

Did you use the included version, limited to <500 Hz, or pony up for the full version?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This unit intrigues me quite a lot. Hopefully measurements will appear here or in Stereophile at some point.

I'm not too worried about the measurements.

Here is why:

1. I don't expect it to have measurements as good as standalone separates. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it does, but given its all-in-one nature, I'd expect it to fall somewhere between best-in-class 2 channel separates and 8 channel AVRs.

2. Whatever imperfections it will show in measurements will probably be below the audible threshold. I can't imagine NAD releasing something at this price point that is audibly flawed.

Or to put differently, if you're shopping for lowest SINAD per $, this probably isn't the right product, anyway.

I'm more interested if the features work as I hope them to, especially for the phono stage and headphones.

If Dirac and Roon work as expected.

And if the software is buggy.

I guess I could worry if it has enough output power, but at the volumes I usually listen at and the speakers I have (plus powered subs), I really only need about 25 watts continuous, plus some overhead for peaks. So I'm pretty sure it has enough juice for my needs.

Probably the biggest concern I have is the open top vents sucking in cat hair.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Here is why:

1. I don't expect it to have measurements as good as standalone separates. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it does, but given its all-in-one nature, I'd expect it to fall somewhere between best-in-class 2 channel separates and 8 channel AVRs.

2. Whatever imperfections it will show in measurements will probably be below the audible threshold. I can't imagine NAD releasing something at this price point that is audibly flawed.

Or to put differently, if you're shopping for lowest SINAD per $, this probably isn't the right product, anyway.

I'm more interested if the features work as I hope them to, especially for the phono stage and headphones.

If Dirac and Roon work as expected.

And if the software is buggy.

I guess I could worry if it has enough output power, but I at the volumes I usually listen at and the speakers I have (plus powered subs), I really only need about 25 watts continuous, plus some overhead for peaks. So I'm pretty sure it has enough juice for my needs.

Probably the biggest concern I have is the open top vents sucking in cat hair.
I think they main value of them getting bench tested is as you mentioned to make sure something isn’t broken and the software works as it should. After reading so many of these reviews, you just can’t assume that any more it seems.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think they main value of them getting bench tested is as you mentioned to make sure something isn’t broken and the software works as it should. After reading so many of these reviews, you just can’t assume that any more it seems.

The trick would be if something measures in a way that is "broken enough" to allow you to have a warranty claim, and confirm it also applies to your unit.

asruser2020

I agree. I'm looking to buy the M33 because of its set of features first and then the quality of the amp. I also argued this point in the review of the M10 on this site.

There is, however, one thing that's already disappointing with the M33, and that's its lack of a USB-B input for computers. I want to be able to play sound and music from my Mac to the amplifier with low latency and jitter. The NAD CTO in the webinar said that they are working on a new plug-in card (one of their "MDC" modules) that will have USB-B, but it wouldn't arrive until 2021 at the earliest.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I agree. I'm looking to buy the M33 because of its set of features first and then the quality of the amp. I also argued this point in the review of the M10 on this site.

There is, however, one thing that's already disappointing with the M33, and that's its lack of a USB-B input for computers. I want to be able to play sound and music from my Mac to the amplifier with low latency and jitter. The NAD CTO in the webinar said that they are working on a new plug-in card (one of their "MDC" modules) that will have USB-B, but it wouldn't arrive until 2021 at the earliest.

Why not just use the network?

If you prefer a physical connection, you can do it over ethernet.

If you're using a Mac, it has Air Play built in.

Last edited:

asruser2020

Why not just use the network?

If you prefer a physical connection, you can do it over ethernet.

If you're using a Mac, it has Air Play built in.

My wifi router is downstairs from my Mac. It has all the ethernet sockets. I'm trying to avoid Wifi if possible for better sound.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
John Darko reviews the NAD M33.

Thanks for posting.

For a bit, during the LP part, I thought Darko put one LP on top of another. But I realized that orange thing is just a super thick turntable mat. I'm surprised he doesn't have to adjust VTA...oh, wait, he has a Rega. You can't.

@Kal Rubinson better post his review soon!

All these others are scooping.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting.

For a bit, during the LP part, I thought Darko but one LP on top of another. But I realized that orange thing is just a super thick turntable mat. I'm surprised he doesn't have to adjust VTA...oh, wait, he has a Rega. You can't.

@Kal Rubinson better post his review soon!

All these others are scooping.
Not a scoop if I don’t value what he says and don’t watch it
If a dark video falls in a forest of YouTube videos and nobody see or hears it, does I exist?
I look forward to @Kal Rubinson review, however.

Top Bottom