• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest PowerQuest 3 Power Conditioner & Surge Protector Review

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They did good with the headphones they sold, I'll give AQ that, I love my Nighthawks, even though the cable that came with it was a stiff, kinked up mess, which is kinda funny coming from a company known for selling "audiophile" cables, lol.

Sonny1

Another illuminating review by Amirm! Thanks for all of your efforts to expose the snake oil and audiofoolery in the industry. I’ll pass on this one.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Personally I use normal power surge protection extenders just for the sake of protection, these kidney costing ones with extra filter always sounds silly to me

wwenze

Major Contributor
Well technically one can argue that the 30kHz noise can intermodulate and cause effects within the audible frequency range.

Maybe they want to avoid adding source impedance in the <22kHz range or people will complain of "no dynamics"

It's all marketing choices

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well technically one can argue that the 30kHz noise can intermodulate and cause effects within the audible frequency range.
The 30 kHz and above don't make it past the power supply filter either.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If @amirm has a way to test DC in his AC, I can add that to my contribution to power testing :)
DC measurement is trivial using a multimeter so yes, I can do that.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DC measurement is trivial using a multimeter so yes, I can do that.

Do you think you have DC leakage in your existing AC? This is also supposed to “filter” so you can test too.

BIG POPPA

For this price you can get a Linear Power Supply off Ebay or a Synergistic Research receptacle to put in the wall. My two alternative choices instead of this.

digicidal

Major Contributor
While I certainly appreciate the time spent on this review - the results were exactly what was expected. I kept refreshing the page and hoping it turned in to a review of the JBL SDP-55 but alas... it did not. ;)

I don't understand the deal with so many of these powerstrip-plus form factor devices. If you need a surge strip or outlet-splitter there are much cheaper and more functional form factors. If it's a product targeting a 'hifi rack' - then I appreciate more the component style (though I don't expect better performance from them). At least some of those come with nice pull-out rack lights which are very handy when trying to see tiny little buttons on a device in the dark... whether that makes it worth the hundreds of dollars or not is up to budget and taste however (I've heard a flashlight also works).

ELITE-15I_main-1.jpg

Laederofmen

For this price you can get a Linear Power Supply off Ebay or a Synergistic Research receptacle to put in the wall. My two alternative choices instead of this.
I hope the receptacle recommendation is a troll. I can't tell any more these days.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it valid to look at the output spectrum without a load on the filtered power line? Seems like it would be more of an exact conditions test if you plugged in a class A or AB power amp delivering some level of power- and hence drawing a fair current through the filter. At least in terms of evaluating the filtering ability, this might be proper.

Also I think you need to look at common mode performance as well as transverse.

Just sayin'.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How clean is the 5V USB out ?

Measurements are differential. One should realize that voltages below -55dB do not even get rectified by the always present rectifier and also are not not high enough in frequency (and above all power level) to even create the smallest change of DC level.

It's a good thing these devices are measured but it is important to realize the plots shown are from the actual mains (in Amir's house) and do not have any relation to similar plots of audio devices connected to mains.

Pulse spikes on mains can reach thousands of volts and will be 'clamped' which could reduce 'ticks' that can make it in the audio path when devices switch on or off.
For this you don't need to fork out $ 300.- though and many devices have these 'voltage clampers' on board to protect the electronics in SMPS anyway.

This is what's inside:
inside.jpg

A filter and a (5V) power supply. Also looks like the connectors on the side of the device appear to connect the grounds to safety ground.
There also seems to be a DC removal capacitor inside.

Tie wrapping non filtered and filtered AC cables together and letting them run in parallel is something no EMC engineer would ever contemplate or do. Yet it seems to be done here. Above 1MHz or so the filter action will be greatly diminished because of this rooky mistake.

Top Bottom