• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lab.Gruppen E 4:2 Pro Amplifier Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Lab.Gruppen E 4:2 "touring" pro amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by a member. The E42 costs US $899. If you don't know about the originally Swedish company they have been a fixture in pro amplification for many years. It has changed hands a few times and is now part of the same group as Behringer.

The E42 comes in a "1U" rackmount chassis:
Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier audio Review.jpg

There are no VU meters as we see in competitor's amps with larger footprint. There is useful indicators for current limit and protection however.

The rear shows the connections which while typical in pro world, are foreign to consumer electronics:

Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier back panel connectors audio Review.jpg

The phoenix connectors are used for both inputs and outputs. They are large and easy to terminate but obviously need custom cabling.

There is variable gain. I set it to max which produced a gain of 27 dB, approximating the nominal 29 dB which is common with consumer amps.

There is an odd Lo-z and 70 volt switch. It is common to have 70 volt mode (for long speaker runs) but not the way it is implemented here:

1592716079581.png

As you see, for 8 ohm you are supposed to use the 70 volt mode even though that label has nothing to do with such loading.

For 4 ohm, you have to use Lo-Z which is what I used for most of my testing. As you shall see, this proved to be quite problematic.

In general, I am not fond of a product that requires the owner to bend to its needs. I mean this is not a tube amp. WHy does it have a switch setting for the load impedance? Speakers don't have constant impedance anyway so in reality there is no good way to know what setting to use.

The 1U chassis mandates tiny fans which are almost always very noisy and that is the case here. While I have heard much louder, this is still something that is not acceptable in a standard home audio system unless you can place the amp in a different room.

The design here is Class-D amplification by the way and hence the ability to squeeze it all in this small enclosure.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual, we feed the amp a 1 kHz tone and ask it to produce 5 watts into a 4 ohm load to represent low level music listening:

Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier audio measurements.png

We see pretty high harmonic distortion at multiples of our 1 kHz tone (2, 3, 4, etc. kHz). SINAD which is a sum of distortion+noise then is dominated by high distortion giving the E42 an average rating amount nearly 100 amplifiers tested so far:

best pro amplifier review 2020.png

Signal to noise ratio is "OK at 5 watts:
Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier SNR audio measurements.png

But not that great at full power. Spec is a whopping 112 dB.

Frequency response shows some load dependency due to necessary output filter in class D amplifiers to attenuate switching noise:
Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier Frequency Response audio measurements.png

I am using simple resistive load and still getting some peaking. A real speaker with its more complex impedance may cause other frequency response variations.

32-tone test signal resembling "music" shows the same distortion profile we have already seen:
Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier multitone audio measurements.png

So far the measurements aren't that bad and fit the level of performance pro amps usually target so you may be wondering why it got the headless panther rating. This is why:

Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier power into 4 ohm audio measurements.png

I am only getting 85 watts with both channels driven versus 200! This is in Lo-z mode as instructed. The limiter kicks in and stops the amp from producing more power (reason the graph seems to go backward). Maybe the amp is designed to only allow for peak excursions? I tried running my tests to find that peak but could not because the limiter would keep kicking in, confusing the analyzer.

Switching to 70 volt input and 8 ohm gets us the specified power:

Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier power into 8 ohm audio measurements.png

So seems like the amp does not like low impedance of 4 ohm even though it is well within its spec.

Testing frequency sensitivity we get a very complex set of graphs as we change that factor and run the above sweep:

Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier THD+N vs Frequency vs Level audio measurements.png

Class-D amplifiers have very complex distortion profiles as the circuit is not a simple analog amplifier. So this is not unusual for the type.

One shining performance aspect was crosstalk:

Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier Crosstalk audio measurements.png

This is near state of the art!

Finally, here is our very wide band spectrum analysis:

Lab.Gruppen E 42 touring amplifier wide-band FFT audio measurements.png

We see the switching frequency of around 370 KHz peaking to nearly -10 dB. I like to see at least 20 dB of attenuation here.

Conclusions
Lab Gruppen is a trusted brand in pro amplifier industry. As such, I am surprised by the results I achieved here. Company is proud of the limiting circuit in this amp for reasons that I don't understand from their writing. Whatever it is, it appears to be more designed to keep the amplifier from getting damaged (a real concern in live sound) than being performant. Combined with the fan noise and quite high price for such modest power level, it is really not a fit for home use.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Lab.Gruppen E 4:2 amplifier.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

One of my pink panthers is getting frustrated with the state of the country and wants to run for a political office!!! Naturally he is looking to me to provide seed capital for his campaign. Heaven knows what little money I have won't be used to plaster signs on people's laws and power poles! But maybe you can make his desires come through by donating using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have this unfortunate imbalance, quite a number of recommended DACs and headphone gear (dacs,amps,combos), but not that many recommended power/integrated amps for speakers.

The search for some more recommendations worthy amps with faithful parameters and decent price continues..
detective.jpg

mt196

We have this unfortunate imbalance, quite a number of recommended DACs and headphone gear (dacs,amps,combos), but not that many recommended power/integrated amps for speakers.

The search for some more recommendations worthy amps with faithful parameters and decent price continues..
detective.jpg
I found my balance with an Anaview AMS0100, the only one with good enough specs I could find in the 200€ region. But I get your point, speaker amps that measure well (in line to headamp and to dacs) are veeery expensive

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Makes sense. DACs are heavily influenced by the actual DAC chip which will also have a reference design from the manufacturer to build off.

We have HypeX modules, but for a lot of other amps, you have designer topologies, philosophies on negative feedback, concerns about damping factor and you are also dealing with higher voltage and current.

As the amp technology undergoes more testing, a good question we will need to ask ourselves is if chasing after higher power has consequences to audio fidelity at lower powers.

For class AB, there is one school of thought that suggests the fewer electronic components the better. This is the rationale for class AB powered by as few Mosfets or bipolar transistors as possible. Then there is another school of that that running multiples helps you stay in the most linear portion of the chip. Reality is probably some combination of both.

Non-bridged monoblocks should give the us best performance. Minimize cross talk and maximize damping factor.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Another class D failure
There is only one class A/B amplifier that outperforms class D offerings. Class A I'm not confident enough in saying anything about, all I know is I like my room to be cooler.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello, thanks for this review.
8823656251422.png

I do not think it is a touring amplifier (more for fixed install, gpio control, phoenix connector).
The famous touring ones looks like that. The E serie looks like a cheap version of LabGruppen, it doesn't even have a DSP. DSP is what labgruppen is know for: 10 years ago, they were innovative and very robust. Now they are just expensive, not innovative but kept the robust part.You can push the PLM serie very hard. Be careful of cheap Chinese copies especially the FP10000 has been copied a lot (low quality components, bad cooling, etc ...). If you find super cheap FP10000 on ebay then beware.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is only one class A/B amplifier that outperforms class D offerings.
This alone is very misleading. If you refer to AHB2, then the sentence would be:
"Above all amps measured here, only the AHB2 outperforms the best Class D offerings (Purifi, Ncore)."

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
This alone is very misleading. If you refer to AHB2, then the sentence would be:
"Above all amps measured here, only the AHB2 outperforms the best Class D offerings (Purifi, Ncore)."
There is no indication that any other class A/B amplifier will match those. The only other candidate might be the Denafrips Hyperion.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not think it is a touring amplifier (more for fixed install, gpio control, phoenix connector).
Yes, you are right, E 4:2 it is in the "Installed sound" section on the Lab Gruppen website:
https://www.labgruppen.com/Categories/Labgruppen/Power-Amplifiers/Installed-Sound/E-4:2/p/P0DFD#googtrans(en|en)
If any amp has a GPIO Phoenix connector, than it is for 70 V (100 V) fixed installation. If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck...
The real touring amplifiers looks and walks like a raging bull.
The real problem here is the massive failure (101 W measured) to meet the specified 200 W output in 8 ohms into "70 V" mode. In "Lo Z" mode it should deliver 100 W into 8 ohms, but it also fails at 85 W:
https://www.labgruppen.com/Categories/Labgruppen/Power-Amplifiers/Installed-Sound/E-4:2/p/P0DFD/Specifications#googtrans(en|en)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be careful of cheap Chinese copies especially the FP10000 has been copied a lot (low quality components, bad cooling, etc ...). If you find super cheap FP10000 on ebay then beware.
Well, if that thing sales for 900$, that may even be a cheap Chinese copy created by Lab Gruppen themself...
Probably nothing to do with the real stuff.

Reactions: 617

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lab.Gruppen E 4:2 "touring" pro amplifier
Actually, it's not a Touring amp.
Those come with XLR and Speakon connectors...

It's listed under "Installation" range on Lab Gruppen website. The connectors we see here are common for that category (as they're supposed to be connected once and forever to some fix cables)

The target utilization here is : deliver, 24h/24, forever (which means: with full protection against anything stupid that could happen on AC feed or on output circuit).
Sound quality is not important (since, typically, nobody with listen to the music anyway).
Low heat production help keeping costs down (you don't need external cooling).
Power use optimization, and therefore, remote power on/off, are also sales factors nowadays.

EDIT: I didn't realize @Vladimir Filevski posted something similar above

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Well, if that thing sales for 900$, that may even be a cheap Chinese copy created by Lab Gruppen themself...
Probably nothing to do with the real stuff.

I remember I was told 700w was the power required to be able to hear that symphonic orchestra at its full while playing their recordings at home...14000w is truly a great step forward...

Nevertheless I have so far not being able to attend a live concert in the open air that matches or betters the sound I get from the equipment at my home or even the one coming from my headsets. At times a simple mild blowing wind makes a clear difference between right and left channels; very often the volume is so loud the only thing I hear is distortion, committing me to walking away till volume is bearable and then hearing other noises from the world around...

Even small playing groups refrain from playing without electronic amplification, destroying the outstanding natural sound of their instruments....

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I read in the user manual (download it here), I'm not sure this amp is able to deliver 2 x 4 ohm.

"13.4.3. Output bridge mode and asymmetric loading The E Series is designed with inherently bridged outputs for a high voltage swing, with full headroom accessed in the 70 V mode. So, in some ways the amplifier is a 4 channel amplifier with permanently bridged outputs which turns it into a 2 channel amplifier."

I see power spec for 2x 8 ohm, but nowhere a spec for 2x 4 ohm. But maybe I missed it?

EDIT: I did miss it. It's specified in the data sheet.
"Max.Output Power(all ch.’s driven)
2 ohms 200 W
4 ohms 200 W
8 ohms 200 W (requires the “70 V” mode for the RSL. “Lo-Z” gives 100 W)
16 ohms 200 W (requires the “70 V” mode for the RSL, “Lo-Z” gives 50 W)
70 V 200 W
100 V Can deliver 200 W to a 100 V load tapped at 400 W "

Is that total power or per channel ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom