• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 124 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 123 49.8%

• Total voters

Vladetz

It's kind of sad the number of people who now have fans running on their Topping gear, out of the mistaken belief that it will help with the reliability of their Topping gear. Here is Topping's own statement:

Topping's unreliability causes some understandable hysteria.:eek:o_O That's one of the bad side effects of unreliability.

Using a fan, even one that is said to be 'silent', eliminates any performance advantage the PA5 has over other amps.
I understand your concerns about fan noise breaking sinad ratio, but it is really silent at main listening position, even at night

Actually I made some comparison between 8 models of 120 and 140 fans in my setup. All were DC controlled (not pwm models) fed from 5v. Arctics are really silent with good airflow

And it's not for helping reliability at least for me
It's more about extending lifespan
Lower temperatures are better for all electronic components anyway

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Using a fan, even one that is said to be 'silent', eliminates any performance advantage the PA5 has over other amps.
It's interesting to look at the spectrum of the fan:

Arctic.PNG

It's low,but definitely not something to compare with the advantages of a very silent amp.
On the other hand,in a domestic,non sound-proofed environment who doesn't takes advantage of the low noise any-way it's maybe not a big deal.

That,if it helped,which is NOT according to the company.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I understand your concerns about fan noise breaking sinad ratio, but it is really silent at main listening position, even at night

Actually I made some comparison between 8 models of 120 and 140 fans in my setup. All were DC controlled (not pwm models) fed from 5v. Arctics are really silent with good airflow

And it's not for helping reliability at least for me
It's more about extending lifespan
Lower temperatures are better for all electronic components anyway
Yes, those are silent fans for sure. I really don't worry too much about the noise of those fans, as much as I don't worry about the last +10dB on many SINAD specs.;)
Let me ask, if you hadn't had the bad PA5, would you still have used the fans you have today? I ask because in this thread it did get pretty popular to recommend using a fan under the hope that it would help the amp survive.
I agree, reliability exponentially degrades with temperature. I also assume I don't need a fan to get 10+ years. But totally get your heat concerns.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For instance the LA90D has 50% survival rate:
I am no fan of toppigs reliability record - but that is just nonsense. We have no idea what the actual field failure rate of thier products are, and no poll conducted on this site is going to change that.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I am no fan of toppigs reliability record - but that is just nonsense. We have no idea what the actual field failure rate of thier products are, and no poll conducted on this site is going to change that.
You are correct. My comment is a bit too flippant.

Vladetz

Yes, those are silent fans for sure. I really don't worry too much about the noise of those fans, as much as I don't worry about the last +10dB on many SINAD specs.;)
Let me ask, if you hadn't had the bad PA5, would you still have used the fans you have today? I ask because in this thread it did get pretty popular to recommend using a fan under the hope that it would help the amp survive.
I agree, reliability exponentially degrades with temperature. I also assume I don't need a fan to get 10+ years. But totally get your heat concerns.
I used some other amps, for example smsl da8s and two sabaj a20a 2022, and all of them were cool to touch. So heat was not a concern
First use of fans was with pa7

Eldus

I used some other amps, for example smsl da8s and two sabaj a20a 2022, and all of them were cool to touch. So heat was not a concern
First use of fans was with pa7
Do they heat up without any audio playing? Just from being powered on?

Vladetz

Do they heat up without any audio playing? Just from being powered on?
Yes. PA5 and PA7 heat up always, more with loud listening
Smsl da8s and two sabaj a20a 2022 were close to ambient temperature all the time, but this could be because chassis was not attached to chip, so it was not workins as a heatsink

mocenigo

Major Contributor
That's a bummer. I have a PA5 also. Good so far, but if I was in your situation, I'd just replace it with the Mark II. Especially now that it's on sale.

Provided the Mark II solves the issue…

Holmz

Major Contributor
In practice he is complaining about having had a defective product which, despite a repair, has already had new problems and the advice is to give money to the same company?
So are you rewarding a company that used you as a beta tester again? did I get it right?
I don't know, but am I the only one who finds the idea ridiculous?
It begs disbelief how one could even consider such a notion.
My had the Amazon return label on within a day, and never to even consider another product from them.

being shafted once, if one thing.
When one allows themselves to be shafted endlessly, I guess we could call that a “Mine Shaft”..

I found a picture from their marketing department.
tumblr_pzksc0FmeN1uwp6gyo1_1280.jpg

MAB

Major Contributor
Can anyone share the link about the 2 year extended warranty on the PA5?
Yes, Topping-Service indicated this earlier in the thread! The resellers also addressed it on their web-stores.
Local dealers in some countries have always offered a two-year warranty in accordance with local regulations, and for this case the policy will continue.

For areas with an original warranty of one year, we have two options.
a, Dealers are in charge of both years.
b, The dealers are still in charge of the first year and TOPPING is in charge of the second year.
This will need to be determined in consultation with the dealers and may not be the final answer.

Besides, we will also discuss with the dealers how to provide a better service experience for our user. :D

Also, the specifically addressed your problem; customers who got warranty but had the second PA5 fail:
We will proactively take more responsibility in the event that the same problem reoccurs and results in the need for a second after-sales service.
Hope this helps.

@TOPPING-Service
You have another customer with an amp that went bad and then the second amp failed. I copied your warranty discussions from earlier. Are you still honoring the 2 year warranty? Are you going to take the extra responsibility since this is the second after-sales event for this customer? We are very eager to hear your resolution of this problem.

klimal

Yes, Topping-Service indicated this earlier in the thread! The resellers also addressed it on their web-stores.

Also, the specifically addressed your problem; customers who got warranty but had the second PA5 fail:

Hope this helps.

@TOPPING-Service
You have another customer with an amp that went bad and then the second amp failed. I copied your warranty discussions from earlier. Are you still honoring the 2 year warranty? Are you going to take the extra responsibility since this is the second after-sales event for this customer? We are very eager to hear your resolution of this problem.
Thank you very much. Most helpful. I have forwarded to my seller here in Malaysia. He initially says no more warranty, then after I informed him about the two years, he said I have to bear postage which came to USD50 one way..which is ridiculous in this day and age.
Shouldn't Topping bear this too if the second year is their responsibility to cover. In any case, I am never getting another Topping in the future.

MAB

Major Contributor
Thank you very much. Most helpful. I have forwarded to my seller here in Malaysia. He initially says no more warranty, then after I informed him about the two years, he said I have to bear postage which came to USD50 one way..which is ridiculous in this day and age.
Shouldn't Topping bear this too if the second year is their responsibility to cover. In any case, I am never getting another Topping in the future.
Yes, Topping implies in those messages they had your back in the case vendors don't support you.
I would also Private Message @TOPPING-Service , see if you can have a nice conversation, and simplify this whole affair. And maybe relay this to your seller. To me getting full refund is simplest.

It could have been a nice little amp. I do hope the second revision fixes the quality issues. It's all down to encapsulation, and not taking into account the stresses this introduces. An ASR member diagnosed the problem, and even has a module to fix:

I know how you feel, and I have ranted a bunch here, even said a few dumb things because I was in a bad mood. I do respect the high performance. But they get justifiably criticized for these quality and reliability lapses combined with spotty after-sales support.

In any case, good luck.

iLoveCats

My replacement PA5 has low output on the left channel now. Just started out of nowhere. I could hear imbalance in the audio in all my sources. It moves side to side if I swap the cables. I sent an email to Apos. Original purchase Feb '22, replaced in October '22, replacement is bad December '23. If they don't do anything about it, I guess I'll buy a PA5 II.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My replacement PA5 has low output on the left channel now. Just started out of nowhere. I could hear imbalance in the audio in all my sources. It moves side to side if I swap the cables. I sent an email to Apos. Original purchase Feb '22, replaced in October '22, replacement is bad December '23. If they don't do anything about it, I guess I'll buy a PA5 II.
Seriously?

iLoveCats

Seriously?
Yah it's the perfect little amp if it stays running. The new ones are $249. I don't need the plus. The warranty on the original PA5 is supposed to be 2 years. See what Apos says since it's already been changed out once. I just thought I'd share I've been bitten twice by the PA5 reliability woes.

YSC

Major Contributor
Er.. but if I am in your shoes I would hold on for the PA5 II… it sounds way too soon for problem to develope

Lräk

Yah it's the perfect little amp if it stays running. The new ones are $249. I don't need the plus. The warranty on the original PA5 is supposed to be 2 years. See what Apos says since it's already been changed out once. I just thought I'd share I've been bitten twice by the PA5 reliability woes.
Just use the power brick from your PA5 which is the only difference between the PA5 II and the + version.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
The newly released Fosi Audio ZA3 speaker amplifier has a differential (balanced) input, 12 volt trigger input, and lists for $149.99 at Amazon USA (when in stock). I don't know how the ZA3 measures but I suspect it measures closer to the Fosi Audio 'V3' amplifier than the Topping PA5 II

Top Bottom