• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are completely different - yet very similar.
Different drivers, different enclosures and different amps. The Pro model is a little bit larger with a little bit more powerful amp and thus good for a little more output.
I see, thanks.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That chart is useless. I disagree that the Arendal 1S is best. A sub should have flat frequency response from its low end roll-off up until at least 200 hz. The Arendal has a hump and its low end is effectively rolling off from a much higher frequency.

It is like a racecar driver cutting the corner. If you EQ it to flat then distortion goes up and max SPL goes down. And you do need to EQ it because frequency response is more important than the other metrics and the Arendal 1S is not flat anechoic.
I don't think it's the most important factor that a sub is flat in frequency response, because as @Sokel said you will be using extreme EQ in the bass as part of your RoomEQ, it really doesn't matter if it's not perfectly flat, or even that flat, (so you'd think it'd be pretty uncomplicated to build a good sub, hence the DIY aspect I suppose, subs seem simple). It matters though that there is plenty of power & low distortion. That chart you mention is not useless, it's the most important part in my view.

EDIT: well this chart is most important in my opinion, and I'm a bit disappointed that my SVS SB1000 Pro is 4th or 5th worst performer, but I think better than no sub:
max recommended SPL through frequency range based on distortion.png

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... and I'm a bit disappointed that my SVS SB1000 Pro is 4th or 5th worst performer, but I think better than no sub:
View attachment 322785
It's all about "you get what you paid for" right? Clearly, well made subwoofers track pricing very well. The more you pay, the higher the headroom SPL with larger drivers, heftier amplifiers and more exotic dual driver arrangements. For what you paid, the SB1000 Pro is rock solid with only the Monolith THX series hitting a slightly better performance per $$ threshold (not to mention SVS has best in class after-sales customer support which also goes into the cost)

kolestonin

EDIT: well this chart is most important in my opinion, and I'm a bit disappointed that my SVS SB1000 Pro is 4th or 5th worst performer, but I think better than no sub:
View attachment 322785
I think I can easily understand the context low frequency/db.
What I don't get is what happens in the higher frequencies.
I see that some subs can maintain their spl on higher frequencies while others do not have such a linear curve as I can see the dips on the above graph.
But then, I am more confused as I wonder what these higher frequencies have to do with a subwoofer?

ps: I also own two svs sb 1000 pro and it is from some time that I consider an upgrade. I was thinking about replacing them with two svs sb 3000 but it seems the Arendal's(1961 1S or 1723 1S) are a better choice. Still trying to understand if there will be any benefits(and what are these benefits) for music listening on 70-75db though.

3125b

Major Contributor
Still trying to understand if there will be any benefits(and what are these benefits) for music listening on 70-75db though.
Probably not.

Just for fun I switched from using my Dynaudio 9S (23,5l, 10,5kg) to using my Monolith 12" THX Ultra (150l, 49kg - notice: the "fun" describtion does not apply to the part of dragging this around) for my PC setup.
Massive difference in output between those two subs, the Dynaudio should be about comparable or a little less capable than the SVS Micro here, while the Monolith outpaces all of the subs tested here. But did it make an audible difference at my apartment dwelling listening levels?
Without EQ it does. The Monoprice has a flatter in-room response at my seating position (that is of course particular to my room and setup location) and more extension (which is no surprise).
But with EQ ... not so much. The Monolith still delivers a more tactile feeling (more infrasonics?), but without a direct comparison they'd be difficult to tell apart.

It may be a worthwile experiment to get a really bad sub (one of those 100$ cardboard specials) to compare that in a fully EQ'd setup blindly at different listening levels.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I recently bought two SVS SB-1000 off of a used hifi site. Is there any difference between the SB-1000 and the SB-1000 pro in terms of speakers/enclosure/amplification? To me they seem to be more or less the same.

Cheers for the trouble you went through @Nuyes :cool:
I haven't measured it this way, but I have experience comparing the SB-1000 to the SB-1000 pro.

First of all, the SB-1000 pro differs from its predecessor in that you can do simple PEQ and phase delay correction (at 80Hz) via the built-in DSP and mobile app.
However, given that you'll need to use an external DSP in most situations anyway, this doesn't strike me as a huge advantage.

The next most noticeable difference is in terms of noise.
The SB-1000 has a low-frequency buzzing noise that is noticeable when you listen closely, and it changes when you operate its own LPF knob.
(It's a very small amount, of course).

In contrast, the SB-1000 pro has a high-frequency hum.

I think this is a difference between the amplifiers in the two subwoofers.

And in the vast majority of cases, it's unlikely that either subwoofer has audible noise.
(You'd have to get your ear close to it in a quiet environment to hear it).

MCH

Major Contributor
The SB-1000 has a low-frequency buzzing noise that is noticeable when you listen closely, and it changes when you operate its own LPF knob.
Very true
And in the vast majority of cases, it's unlikely that either subwoofer has audible noise.
I have two SB 1000 (non pro) and tested 4 different amp modules. All 4 amps had different degrees of noise but in all cases the noise was very audible whenever the xover frequency was set above ca. 80Hz. I am about to transform them to passive in a last desperate attempt not to have to get rid of them and move on. :-/

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't measured it this way, but I have experience comparing the SB-1000 to the SB-1000 pro.

First of all, the SB-1000 pro differs from its predecessor in that you can do simple PEQ and phase delay correction (at 80Hz) via the built-in DSP and mobile app.
However, given that you'll need to use an external DSP in most situations anyway, this doesn't strike me as a huge advantage.

(It's a very small amount, of course).

In contrast, the SB-1000 pro has a high-frequency hum.

I think this is a difference between the amplifiers in the two subwoofers.

(I don't get any high frequency hum with my SB 1000 Pro)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The low buzzing/humming sounds more like a ground loop issue. I don't have any SVS subs, but the only times I've had issues with such noise in other subs was a ground loop issue.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The low buzzing/humming sounds more like a ground loop issue. I don't have any SVS subs, but the only times I've had issues with such noise in other subs was a ground loop issue.
When I first set up my 2 channel system back in 2020 it was the first issue I faced, low frequency hum, it was some kind of a ground loop issue associated with my TV which was solved by putting in an "isolator" between the aerial and the TV - it was coming from the aerial. Not all ground loops come that way, and I had already read about ground loops which was why I had everything connected just through one electrical outlet, but still it require an isolator on the aerial input. I get no kind of hum or noise through my SVS SB1000 Pro sub.

MCH

Major Contributor
Not in the case of the non pro version. The rumble is there, unchanged, even with nothing connected to it.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not in the case of the non pro version. The rumble is there, unchanged, even with nothing connected to it.
I can't detect it with either of my SB1000, so i guess i'm lucky.

Reactions: MCH

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
I was hoping for an upset with SVS's 3000 Micro, but no such miracle occurred.
If you're willing to give up some space for a subwoofer, it might make sense to buy the 2000 or 3000 series rather than the SB-1000.
(The performance difference seems more reasonable than the price difference).
I was happy to see you measure the micro (Thanks!). Since I own it, I too was hoping for upset, but knew what results would be.
My thoughts on the micro 3000.... If you don't have the space the micro 3000 is a very good sub, but if you have the space for something else (larger?) don't buy this one.

It's also very nice in a multi-sub environment for filling in room nulls (which is what I ended up doing via Audiolense).

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
-2272127ee35f24a9.jpg

It’s really confusing what exactly makes a good subwoofer, what parameters we should pay attention to, and how they correspond to subjective listening experience.

snaimpally

Many thanks to the OP for this herculean effort and for the several excellent contributions.

graystreet

I have 2 SVS 3000 micros in my living room (only way I could get subs accepted there due to WAF), and have been really pleased with them. I never come close to HT level volumes though, so I guess it comes down to use case. The setup seems to work really well with dynamic EQ at lower volumes. If I had read this thread first I likely would have bought nothing, thinking nothing except large would work well. I guess that just means I don't know how to interpret the data well enough.

The single KH750 in the other room does sound 'better' with the same speakers, but it's hard to compare since it's all near field. o_O
I also have two SVS 3000 Micros in my living room due to WAF, but I am not very impressed with them at all for home theater purposes. My living would be considered a "large" room, however, so that could be a factor. They just fail to pressuring the room at all. You don't feel anything.

Willem

Major Contributor
Add one big sub in a corner and you are done - if that is domestically acceptable. I put my ugly big SB2000 in the front corner behind one of my main speakers (large Quad 2805).

fzst

Add one big sub in a corner and you are done - if that is domestically acceptable. I put my ugly big SB2000 in the front corner behind one of my main speakers (large Quad 2805).
The SB2000 a big ugly box?:oops: Those things are tiny:p and they look pretty good if you got the gloss finish.

Willem

Major Contributor
We have a modern minimalist interior and I don't want to sit in some audiophile man cave. The system uses three subs, of which the SB2000 is the largest and ugliest. With the SB2000 located in the corner, response happily extends flat to well below 20 Hz in this large room, so nothing bigger is required as far as I am concerned. That is the advantage of multiple subs: they don't all have to be large - only one larger one will do, the others can be small ones like the micro3000. Equalization of my subs is per MSO.

radix

Major Contributor
We have a modern minimalist interior and I don't want to sit in some audiophile man cave. The system uses three subs, of which the SB2000 is the largest and ugliest. With the SB2000 located in the corner, response happily extends flat to well below 20 Hz in this large room, so nothing bigger is required as far as I am concerned. That is the advantage of multiple subs: they don't all have to be large - only one larger one will do, the others can be small ones like the micro3000. Equalization of my subs is per MSO.

Yes, if one is lucky the main room modes will be in the 50 - 90 Hz range, and the 3000 micro can help fill those in. I agree you do need at least one bigger sub to get the extension. I use the Arendel 1723 1S + 1x 3000 micro in my living room. The Arendel in white matches my Revel F228be in white, so it all looks nicely integrated. The 3000 micro I can stick behind other things and hide it well.

Top Bottom