• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov 8m 8 Channel Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 39.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 129 54.0%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An 8 channel amplifier should be tested to clipping with all 8 channels driven, even if you only monitor 2 of the 8.
I realise where you are coming from but as this is a HT amplifier, why would you need max continuous power on all eight channels. Such an occasion will never happen in real life.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it's not irrelevant. One person's 'real world' application is someone else's idling along. The amplifier has an advertised rating- is it real or not? It's an 8 channel amplifier and should be tested to full power at clipping in all 8 channels. *

By your logic, you should only test a stereo amplifier in one channel...
We are talking about a HT setup. Are there any soundtracks where all eight tracks run at full signal unlike in stereo that can often be the case?

* You have a whole house ducted air conditioning system rated to cool your 8 room house to 20 degrees C in summer, but you shut off the baffles to 6 rooms for specifying the 'rated cooling capacity' and only measure 2...
That is a silly analogy. A family can occupy all rooms of a house, hence need A/C in all rooms at full blast.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
I realise where you are coming from but as this is a HT amplifier, why would you need max continuous power on all eight channels. Such an occasion will never happen in real life.
Exactly. This is neither a pro audio, let alone a laboratory-grade amplifier nor is it advertised as such.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Someone who needs full power from all channels simultaneously, should probably use two channel amps or even mono blocks. Likewise, if you need AC to keep your entire house at 60 degrees, perhaps you should consider mini splits.

Fidji

Do not want to split the hair, but if you do stereo to Auromatic upmix at full strenght [16- trinnov owners know] you actually are using all the channels at the same time.

On the other hand - you would be normally asking such amp to play only from 80HZ up, so lot of strain on the amp removed.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Also, for reference, below is the power output of the Buckeye NC502MP based 8 channel amp.

index.php

And Trinnov 8m, with its dual toroidal power supplies, has LESS power even on peak power!

index.php

So only the lower noise is better (SINAD 8m 106 x 98 Buckeye) for the 4.3x price difference (8m 9500 x 2200 Buckeye).

But if we consider 4 x Buckeye stereo NCx500 at around 4400 usd one would have better power (around 640W for a single SMPS1200) and similar SINAD 106 still for half the price.
The Buckeye delivers 26dB gain vs the only 19dB from this one. So this alone contributes to the difference in noise.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are both 8 channel amplifiers and only 2 channels have been tested. We also don't know what channels 7 and 8 use in relation to the two toroidals' secondaries.
No conclusions/comparisons can be drawn on power output. An 8 channel amplifier should be tested to clipping with all 8 channels driven, even if you only monitor 2 of the 8.
Especially, seeing the noise contributions, I did not know how to ask if all of the channels (and the toroids feeding them) needed to be provided with at least modicum of output dummy loads. Thank you.

hyfynut

Considering that a budget 3 channel NC1200 in a nice case starts from 3.890 euros the 1/3 price for 8 channels is a little optimisti
My inner scrooge optimizer wishes for this, from another company (e.g. the one starting with T and with the same number of letters in its name), sleek and light with switching PS, and last but not least for 1/3 of this price :cool:
Or, even better, a complete AVR built around said concept.
Slim chance, I know...
Not an AVR but this amp is pretty serious...Monolith by Monoprice M8250x 8x200 Watts Per Channel Class-D Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier with XLR Inputs Hypex NC502MP

TankTop

The NC-xxx modules all fall off to about -0.5dB at 20kHz. If you want wide bandwidth, ruler flat amplification, these aren't for you.

If you want ball-tearing power, low distortion, efficiency and low cost, these modules fit the bill.

Personally, starting from scratch, I'd put my audiophile pre-requisites in the trash and buy one of these things and spend the rest on cars, women and experiences.
You spelled blow wrong

Short38

I do not understand the home theater world so risk being laughed off the forum but I’d sleep better at night with 4 AHB’s at a nominal increase in cost (when you are at $9,500 what is another few K?)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know if there is a noise or crosstalk penalty for using the DB25 port? It seems like a very cool and convenient way to hook up 8 channels from the pre/pro to the power amp.

PJ 1

Where do you see it reviewed in ASR?
Yup, sorry. He reviewed the 2 channel. But considering you can't pull full power for all 8 channels driven from a single outlet, the results should be comparable to this Trinnov. So many options with these modules. Budget options via Buckeye among others, mid priced options from ATI, and cost-no-object from Trinnov. I'm partial to ATI cause their stuff has proven bulletproof for me in the past and backed up with a 7 year warranty but like what you like, they all test great.

David_M

19dB gain „only“, certainly favors the very good Noise performance.

Did anyone run the numbers yet to see how much (hopefully noise “free”) input voltage is required to drive that thing to full power?
11-12 Vrms.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, sorry. He reviewed the 2 channel. But considering you can't pull full power for all 8 channels driven from a single outlet, the results should be comparable to this Trinnov. So many options with these modules. Budget options via Buckeye among others, mid priced options from ATI, and cost-no-object from Trinnov. I'm partial to ATI cause their stuff has proven bulletproof for me in the past and backed up with a 7 year warranty but like what you like, they all test great.
In the US you are limited to 292W per channel (7% less) but in the UK, where I am, the power input is enough to deliver full power on all channels simultaneously.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the US you are limited to 292W per channel (7% less) but in the UK, where I am, the power input is enough to deliver full power on all channels simultaneously.
Hey, it's good to do something right.....well one extra thing anyway!

PJ 1

Awesome! But that's also the reason I had to buy a new coffee maker when I was deployed. Lol. To quote Spinal Tap: "These go to 11". I guess my next question, are you pushing all your channels to clipping? ATI and others rate conservatively as demonstrated in ASR's tests. I'm guessing that these would get closer than most when attempting to get 200w/channel x7. I know my Camry speedometer says 125 but that's about 50 mph over my normal driving. As others have said, if you need that type of performance, you'd be better off with 8 mono blocks. Just like I'd need more than 4 cylinders (or more gears) to run on the Autobahn.

Top Bottom