• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov 8m 8 Channel Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 39.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 129 54.0%

• Total voters

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I run 9 bed channels that are all full sized Tower 4 ohm load speakers. So, not necessarily overkill for some setups. I run 12 channels of NC502MP or 500 watts per. Having lots of headroom is vital for hugely dynamic movie soundtracks. I suspect that if you are spending Trinnov level money you probably have big power hungry bed channel speakers. I just saw a home theater that had a crazy high number of ML Electrostatic bed speakers at 11.7.12 configuration. Crazy level agreed. But that is the segment Trinnov is targeting right?

sorry, what's a bed channel speaker?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Where do you see it reviewed in ASR?
The only similar I found is a 2 channel one:

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just looked up the price for the ATI AT528NC—it’s $4800. Keeping in mind that the AT528NC is essentially the same amp as the Amplitude 8m minus the DB25 connector, then the “Trinnov tax” is $4700. So the Trinnov name and a DB25 connector is costing you an almost $5000 premium. Whoah!

Seems just like we have come to expect from high-end audio products.:facepalm:

Any idea what they charge for their DB-25 cable?;)

FrankF

Forum Donor
Everything measures great but why does the frequency response start to fall off after 7k hertz?
index.php

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a confusing mess out there as far as what model is what. All I can tell you is that the amplifier matches the pictures of 8m where they show an image of an amplifier. That amplifier is NC1200: https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/amplitude8m/
hypex.jpg

You can actually read the fine print on bottom left where it says NC1200.

All evidence to me suggests that what @Fidji posted is correct, the 8M uses NC500s and the 8 uses NC1200s. I believe the photo of the NC1200 on the Trinnov page for the 8M is incorrect.

Trinnov states that the 8 uses NC1200s on their website, with the same module picture you posted. The teardown pictures of the 8 posted in this thread here -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8-channel-amplifier-review.46377/post-1654387 also support this. You can see the two voltage regulators extending perpendicular from the PCB that you would expect to see on a NC1200 but not on a NC500.

For the 8M some retailers explicitly state it uses NC500s, such as here -> https://www.hificorner.co.uk/trinnov-amplitude-8m-power-amplifier.html. Again, teardown pics posted in this thread here -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8-channel-amplifier-review.46377/post-1654314 support this (even higher resolution picture here -> https://www.avforums.com/threads/trinnov-altitude-16-32-owners-thread.2279879/page-19). You see two banks of capacitors on the top of the modules like you would expect on a NC500 but not on a NC1200.

Dimension wise the difference in modules also makes sense as the longer NC1200 module will need a taller chassis than the shorter NC500.

Michael

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All speakers on ear level so the first number in 9.1.6 for example
Not exactly true. The term bed is used by Dolby to define the linear channels. There are eight bed channels, corresponding to Dolby Surround 7.1, which Atmos a superset of. In the 9.1.6 example, two extra front sides are created by the decoder/processor.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Everything measures great but why does the frequency response start to fall off after 7k hertz?

The NC-xxx modules all fall off to about -0.5dB at 20kHz. If you want wide bandwidth, ruler flat amplification, these aren't for you.

If you want ball-tearing power, low distortion, efficiency and low cost, these modules fit the bill.

Personally, starting from scratch, I'd put my audiophile pre-requisites in the trash and buy one of these things and spend the rest on cars, women and experiences.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, starting from scratch, I'd put my audiophile pre-requisites in the trash and buy one of these things and spend the rest on cars, women and experiences.
Would you replace the caps though? ;)

David_M

I fail to see why is this amp superior to any other amplifier using Hypex NC1200 / NC500 class D amplifier modules with similar power ratings and channel count. Yes, it's pretty looking I agree.

Edit: ok, maybe its lower noise figures than most of its kin justifies the price?

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I fail to see why is this amp superior to any other amplifier using Hypex NC1200 / NC500 class D amplifier modules with similar power ratings and channel count. Yes, it's pretty looking I agree.

Edit: ok, maybe its lower noise figures than most of its kin justifies the price?
In this case I guess that you also fail to see why a DAC using, in example, an ESS ES9039PRO would be superior to another DAC using the same chip. ;)

David_M

In this case I guess that you also fail to see why a DAC using, in example, an ESS ES9039PRO would be superior to another DAC using the same chip. ;)
DACs are different as they can provide many features (hw, sw, and otherwise) that one dac might have and the other not have. This could justify the price differences between the two. But if a vendor goes out of their way to design their dac using the top-notch but expensive ES9039PRO, you bet they are going to do a bang-up job in extracting the best design possible from that chip.

Amps mainly only do one thing...amplify sound and nothing more. Maybe one offers input triggers, and another doesn't. But if they are built with the same architecture, i.e. same power NCxxx modules, power specs, etc. there's no reason for the wild price deltas we see here.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All evidence to me suggests that what @Fidji posted is correct, the 8M uses NC500s and the 8 uses NC1200s. I believe the photo of the NC1200 on the Trinnov page for the 8M is incorrect.

Trinnov states that the 8 uses NC1200s on their website, with the same module picture you posted. The teardown pictures of the 8 posted in this thread here -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8-channel-amplifier-review.46377/post-1654387 also support this. You can see the two voltage regulators extending perpendicular from the PCB that you would expect to see on a NC1200 but not on a NC500.

For the 8M some retailers explicitly state it uses NC500s, such as here -> https://www.hificorner.co.uk/trinnov-amplitude-8m-power-amplifier.html. Again, teardown pics posted in this thread here -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8-channel-amplifier-review.46377/post-1654314 support this (even higher resolution picture here -> https://www.avforums.com/threads/trinnov-altitude-16-32-owners-thread.2279879/page-19). You see two banks of capacitors on the top of the modules like you would expect on a NC500 but not on a NC1200.

Dimension wise the difference in modules also makes sense as the longer NC1200 module will need a taller chassis than the shorter NC500.

Michael
Agreed. From the inside picture it is definitely NC500 OEM modules.

100639vjgtln7ga663ldlz.jpg

101514dh1ra50ubrrmt5r4.jpg

Look at the single small cap between the larger ones of NC500 OEM.

1689351142404.png

Also the lack of wires entering the middle of the module like NC1200 has.

1689351085937.png

The good news for 8m owners is that they can upgrade to NCx500 OEM modules and just swap them plug n' play. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, for reference, below is the power output of the Buckeye NC502MP based 8 channel amp.

index.php

And Trinnov 8m, with its dual toroidal power supplies, has LESS power even on peak power!

index.php

So only the lower noise is better (SINAD 8m 106 x 98 Buckeye) for the 4.3x price difference (8m 9500 x 2200 Buckeye).

But if we consider 4 x Buckeye stereo NCx500 at around 4400 usd one would have better power (around 640W for a single SMPS1200) and similar SINAD 106 still for half the price.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
DACs are different as they can provide many features (hw, sw, and otherwise) that one dac might have and the other not have. This could justify the price differences between the two. But if a vendor goes out of their way to design their dac using the top-notch but expensive ES9039PRO, you bet they are going to do a bang-up job in extracting the best design possible from that chip.

Amps mainly only do one thing...amplify sound and nothing more. Maybe one offers input triggers, and another doesn't. But if they are built with the same architecture, i.e. same power NCxxx modules, power specs, etc. there's no reason for the wild price deltas we see here.
I guess than the months we spend designing and testing our amps are useless then.

Top Bottom