• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
Thank you for the twin tone posted. The result is very good.
All the distortion methods do test different attributes of amp nonlinearity. Twin tone is about dV/dt and the result stays in audio band. d2H would be high again, but it is not investigated in case of 22kHz BW.

pma

Major Contributor
The point is this twin tone tells us far more about sound quality than SINAD. Yet it’s only included in the Benchmark review. I can imagine the reason why is John insisted on Amir providing it. As he understands how important the measurement is in regards to sound quality.
I know that the HF twin tone tells us more. It is my favorite test method - in many threads shown, here. However, @amirm does not consider it important. I have given up persuading him to use it. He says it is unimportant.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The point is this twin tone tells us far more about sound quality than SINAD. Yet it’s only included in the Benchmark review. I can imagine the reason why is John insisted on Amir providing it. As he understands how important the measurement is in regards to sound quality.
Did he insist?

BR52

There’s likely a reason why the Benchmark amp review is the only review that has this important data shared. Because John is a professional who understands what matters.
this is not the answer of my question.

BR52

I have no idea about conversations that go on behind the scenes. But manufacturers often request certain measurements be preformed to demonstrate the performance of their products.
Now I have a clear picture about your posts.
Thanks

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea about conversations that go on behind the scenes. But manufacturers often request certain measurements be preformed to demonstrate the performance of their products.

Looks like our favorite Canadian troll is back. How is it going Mike aka @Mivera @Amplifier dude? Slightly different tack this time but man you just can’t stay away.

Michael

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We all who are involved in measurements know that any class D amplifier (up to nowadays) has dirty nasty spectrum just above 22kHz and that there is no proof that spectrum components will not intermodulate in tweeters, resulting in audible frequencies. Marketing departments need to demonstrate nice plots so they speak about necessity to limit the measuring BW to 20 or 22 kHz.
1673893438368.png

This is pretty clean to 40 kHz and the Panasonic UB9000 feeding it wasn’t the cleanest source either.

This is of course a Marantz buffer with bridged NC500OEMs.

I will try to run some extra tests today if I have time.

pma

Major Contributor
View attachment 257487

This is pretty clean to 40 kHz and the Panasonic UB9000 feeding it wasn’t the cleanest source either.

This is of course a Marantz buffer with bridged NC500OEMs.

I will try to run some extra tests today if I have time.
Good. Please try higher base frequency and power >100W. Not 5W. I wonder if you would not see sudden noise floor abrupt raise at some point above 100W.

BR52

Good. Please try higher base frequency and power >100W. Not 5W. I wonder if you would not see sudden noise floor abrupt raise at some point above 100W.
Saturation of the output inductance?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please ignore restorer-john. He does not speak for most of us on this forum and is well known to have an anti- Class D crusade. He "loses no sleep" but is consumed by preaching against an amplifier technology lol. This seems to be going on for years!
I would rather read your inputs/comments about your products. I still have ucd modules running strong all these years later.
Agreed

pma

Major Contributor
I like the Cordell triple tone test. And I like it clean in ultrasound region.

Cordell.png

pma

Major Contributor
Yes clean above 30kHz is important for cats, dogs and bats. But information above 20kHz doesn’t exist on any audio recordings. Even if we could hear it, and our tweeters could play it. It’s less important to me that audible bandwidth performance.
Hopefully you can hear it.
I am happy with good measurements max to 20 -22 kHz

Intermodulations, guys. Intermodulations in tweeters (and in human ear, if the signal gets in).

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Looks like our favorite Canadian troll is back. How is it going Mike aka @Mivera @Amplifier dude? Slightly different tack this time but man you just can’t stay away.

Michael
Looks like you were correct and thanks for bringing this to our attention. Good catch Sir! ;)

It was him and this new account is now closed.

BossBunos

If the SINAD leaderboard is indeed intended for just finished products then yes I agree, please do remove all modules on there. including our NC400, the Purifi module. Just all. We don't make the SINAD leaderboard. that is up to Amir. We don't care. We certainly do not manipulate or try to distort your discusions. We do not appreciate such comments and will prevent us participating such forums. So be carefull were you point your finger to. thanks.

To be clear: as soon as we release a new module, OEM or DIY, you readers and contributors on this forum immediately request test results from Amir. As we have nothing to hide we are more the happy to issue samples to Amir for this purpose. But it seems completely irrelevant to most of you that it is or isn't available for DIY customers. but then complaining the use of the module is irrelevant to normal use case. very strange.
I don't think it's a finger pointing to hypex. More a debate on what the sinad ladder should be used for. As a reader of this forum it would be nice to compare apples to apples (same gain for power amps) when the sinad is compared.
Personally I love the work Amir is doing and what hypex is providing for/to the audio community.
I can't speak for other people but sometimes we are passionate and dig into those measurements that we forget to show our appreciation for the effort that is put into it by amir and the manufacturers. So just to be clear: Thank you amir and hypex :)

Top Bottom