• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I’m pretty certain the poster is teasing a future update for the second or third time in this thread, which has been liked by @AOR (appears to be some sort of KEF insider judging by post history) for the second time.
I do not think this forum has enough weight to make a big company like KEF consider to apply Dirac to their active speakers. Even if Dr. Oclee-Brown reads what we post, probably respects Amir and his work and has shown a very friendly attitude, major business decissions such as adopting room correction are not dependant on a minority of very hardcore users like us.

However, Genelec's own suit of room correction or Dynaudio's actives seem to be the direct competence to KEF's actives, hence why it makes sense they may adopt room correction.

If they also add a way to build a multichannel system with Atmos and DTS decoding capacity, that would be an impressive step ahead.

sifi36

I do not think this forum has enough weight to make a big company like KEF consider to apply Dirac to their active speakers. Even if Dr. Oclee-Brown reads what we post, probably respects Amir and his work and has shown a very friendly attitude, major business decissions such as adopting room correction are not dependant on a minority of very hardcore users like us.

However, Genelec's own suit of room correction or Dynaudio's actives seem to be the direct competence to KEF's actives, hence why it makes sense they may adopt room correction.

If they also add a way to build a multichannel system with Atmos and DTS decoding capacity, that would be an impressive step ahead.

Perhaps a centre channel that acts as an uber-primary/processor could do it? KEF wouldn’t need to stock multiple SKUs for 5 or 7 bed channels or packages that do and don’t include height channels, so it would be lower risk from a stockholding perspective. The proliferation of eARC and the speakers having their own DSP and amplification negates the need for a processor. In fact, it’s less likely to turn obsolete, as it’ll be fine until eARC is supplanted (which I can’t see anytime soon). Whereas it’s usually display advances that make receivers and processors outdated every few years.

They carry on selling LSX, LS50WII and LS60 as pairs and those people that want multi channel can pick whatever combination suits, pair it with the centre and you’ve got an amazing active home cinema that becomes an excellent two channel system when needed. I guess the duplicated inputs and streamers are unnecessary and would add to the cost of the setup. On the other hand, it allows people to grow the system over time, which has its own benefits.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
A single LS50 active can do the trick. If the horizontal form factor is preferred, a variant of it in horizontal should not be too hard do do.

Instead of using a center as a 'hub', I'd go for a conventional rj45 switch, add Atmos, Auro and DTS decoding to already existing connection units (LS50/60), and use the hub to add whatever number of extra speakers the user wants including height channels (the LSX can be very interesting for that) for a total of 11, 13, 16 or whatever.
Perhaps, already existing speakers of the slave type (the one with subwoofer out and RJ45 jack) could be bought in pairs to reduce the cost due to just needing a set of connections on a single speaker.

The central unit would handle the sources and the decoding, send the signal to each speaker in digital and each speaker would handle the rest. Add DLBC for the whole pack and off you go.

Of course, this is coming from someone with no idea about the capabilities of the electronics present in the LS50/60/LSX, so I don't know if it's even possible.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Another option is a WISA hub that has DSP/room correction/HT decoding.
I don't think these are on the market already but maybe when more big manufacturers switch to WISA for wireless connection it becomes interesting for a company to make one.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Another option is a WISA hub that has DSP/room correction/HT decoding.
I don't think these are on the market already but maybe when more big manufacturers switch to WISA for wireless connection it becomes interesting for a company to make one.
WiSa cannot go, at least for now, beyond 8 channels.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
WiSa cannot go, at least for now, beyond 8 channels.
I'm aware of that but for many people who have their HT in the living room it is sufficient.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Note to kef , please make these with non detachable power cables so that cable nonsense can’t be a factor .
It detracts from the stunning feat of engineering these fine products are.
Please no, I want to be able to attach a power cable of the length I need.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm aware of that but for many people who have their HT in the living room it is sufficient.
The LS actives can work both wired and wireless. I think that would be excellent for a multichannel setup: WiSa or wired for a full height setup.

Tailwagger

After reading through this thread I felt compelled to reply with my own experience regarding regarding the reliability of active loud speakers. In point of fact, I'm here because my current main pair of Genelecs S30s have finally bit the dust, but for perhaps not the reasons most seem to assume. The electronics are fully functional, but after nearly 30 years, the surrounds on the woofers have simply disintegrated. I've yet to be able to source replacements, though admittedly I haven't tried all that hard as after three decades of use it's probably time to move on anyway. My other pair of Genelecs... 10 year old 8020s... continue to perform flawlessly. I cant speak to Kef reliability, but in general while I get the concerns, I have no qualms about owning another pair of active speakers (at least Genelecs). AFAIC, a single sourced 'all in one' solution with matched components, assuming it suits my ear, is a boon not a bane, hence my interest in the LS60 in the first place.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Why havent the big stereo magazines like stereophile tested these speakers yet ?
Kef ls60 measurements are almost absent - the best we have until now is SDC:s measurements in this thread.
At the same time almost noone reviews this speakers with measurements, it has been nominated an EISA award. Please bring in som more objective measurements about this interesting loudspeakers .

Below SDC:s measurement , and also a review from 7review.
C08457DF-DB6E-4B56-AD7E-84A38A60B782.jpeg

5FC718A3-F315-438D-8783-D42B021CE95F.jpeg

Last edited:

Krillin

As much as I like this speaker I am wary because:
  1. No XLR input. It's not future proof or present proof. Processors such as Lyngdorf, McIntosh and Trinnov no longer have RCA outputs and I'm sure other manufacturers will follow suit. This is a deal breaker for something I want to last 20 years at $6,999 a pair.
  2. How reliable are class D SMPS amplifiers? I know in the past longevity for SMPS has been a concern. Reliable enough to last 20 years?
  3. How is volume set if using RCA? With lets say a RCA capable AVP.
  4. Any measurements? Particularly of the ADC and DAC? Especially since AVR/AVP's will output analog

Is there a reason this speaker cannot be passive? The KEF Blade Two Meta spinorama and dispersion is about as good as it gets and that's passive. If the KEF LS60 was made passive for $5,000 a pair I would leap and buy three in a heartbeat and call it my endgame speakers. Would be the perfect KEF R series replacement too.

If not passive they should have at least included XLR input. I have the same issue with their KF92 subwoofer, it's useless with the higher end AVP's that only have XLR.

Last edited:

ChrisHeinonen

1. No XLR input. It's not future proof or present proof. Processors such as Lyngdorf, McIntosh and Trinnov no longer have RCA outputs and I'm sure other manufacturers will follow suit. This is a deal breaker for something I want to last 20 years at $6,999 a pair.
  2. How reliable are class D SMPS amplifiers? I know in the past longevity for SMPS has been a concern. Reliable enough to last 20 years?
  4. Any measurements? Particularly of the ADC and DAC? Especially since AVR/AVP's will output analog

Is there a reason this speaker cannot be passive? The KEF Blade Two Meta spinorama and dispersion is about as good as it gets and that's passive. If the KEF LS60 was made passive for $5,000 a pair I would leap and buy three in a heartbeat and call it my endgame speakers. Would be the perfect KEF R series replacement too.

If not passive they should have at least included XLR input. I have the same issue with their KF92 subwoofer, it's useless with the higher end AVP's that only have XLR.
For some of these questions:
1. Unless you have an extremely noisy environment, or are running extremely long cables, you can probably use some XLR to RCA cables here and notice no actual difference in performance. XLR is a more secure connection, and has uses other places, but for home audio you aren't likely to hear an audible difference (but people think all high-end gear should have XLR connections, so they do it).
2. No idea
3. There's a volume level that is unity gain on the LS60, and if you search through this thread you will find it. If you set the speakers to that level and don't adjust it, then you can use them with a preamp of your choice and adjust the volume there. There's no way to force this (like a HT Bypass mode), and if you stream audio then you'll have to remember to set the volume back, but you could do this.
4. Measuring the ADC would require taking the speaker apart and being able to tap into the ADC output, so I wouldn't expect to see these measurements anytime soon. Even if the ADC isn't reference grade, it's still going to have lower distortion than the drivers themselves.

Finally, there have been multiple discussions in this thread, based on the KEF white paper, on why this speaker can only exist as an active system and cannot be passive. Without DSP it just can't happen, so I'd go read that white paper if you want to know.

Krillin

For some of these questions:
1. Unless you have an extremely noisy environment, or are running extremely long cables, you can probably use some XLR to RCA cables here and notice no actual difference in performance. XLR is a more secure connection, and has uses other places, but for home audio you aren't likely to hear an audible difference (but people think all high-end gear should have XLR connections, so they do it).
Would there be any voltage incompatibility? Any audible downsides of this approach?

My decade old McIntosh MX151 seems to struggle with a blend of XLR and RCA. However, maybe I just need to play around with the gains settings more before running Lyngdorf Room Perfect...

Last edited:

TSB

It's not just an active speaker, it includes the streaming/content you need. I.e. it's not meant to be used with a big chunky AVP

nefilim

Agreed - I have a pair, it's unfortunately there's no XLR AES/EBU input which would be handy for some of my other equipment.

I'm currently using it with RCA inputs and the volume set to 90 to integrate with my AVR, I had to also connect the HDMI to get rid of the ground loop, others have had to do the same. It works fine, the problem is trying to share the subs between stereo listening and home theater, I really wish there was a passive version of this speaker, probably need to save up for the Ref 1 Metas :)

Top Bottom