• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I didnt think the sound was ”relaxed” or colored in ls60 in the way that music sound less interesting or boring - quite the opposite. I thought it sounded clear, true to the sourcematerial and the timbre of different instrument sounded right.
The bass tunes sounded very good - but can probably be even better with more correct installation in the room.
Hmm, I like when instruments sounds right but never edgy or arsh, the very slightly down shelving in the treble is what i personally enjoy.. I've not listened the ls60 by the way

I like the Kef reference 3 normal sound signature~
---
Hope the day when kef make a reference 3 20hz-20khz +-3dB

maxibatzi12

I had the same setup and issues with you, it got annoying and I have to say I like the 60s better. 50s and 60s are also on isoacoustics gaiai I and ii as well along with nrg z cables and ethernet in-between.

Yes the kc 62 digs deeper but overall the 60 sound is better with better imaging. If you have an open space and casually listen to music in the surrounding room it is muuuuuch better with the 60s. Mine is in family room and if I'm in the kitchen the music sounds way better.
What is your room situation regarding the LS60? I don't have much room for maneuver. Currently, the right LS50W2 speaker +KC62 is relatively free. The left speaker, however, has a wall side on the left and a cabinet right next to it. Currently it does not bother me. But I can imagine that it leads to problems with the LS60 in the acoustics. I have once measured with folding rule. The LS60 should be placed in the left corner so that each 18-20 centimeters space to the wall and 18-20 centimeters space to the cabinet are.

Room

Not sure yet if I should do it. Where I first have to find a buyer for my LS50W2. Before I will not act.

Dreamps

What is your room situation regarding the LS60? I don't have much room for maneuver. Currently, the right LS50W2 speaker +KC62 is relatively free. The left speaker, however, has a wall side on the left and a cabinet right next to it. Currently it does not bother me. But I can imagine that it leads to problems with the LS60 in the acoustics. I have once measured with folding rule. The LS60 should be placed in the left corner so that each 18-20 centimeters space to the wall and 18-20 centimeters space to the cabinet are.

Room

Not sure yet if I should do it. Where I first have to find a buyer for my LS50W2. Before I will not act.
Here is my space for the 60s, and here is a pic of how the 50s and kc62 were placed. The 60s are in the same spot as the stands were previously.

I did the same as far as finding a buyer for 50s and kc.

The wires are much easier to hide on the 60s since they aren't up high.

IMG-20220716-WA0000.jpg

Dreamps

No JL Gotham instead? :(
I like rel, tried the jl and b&w and svs. Rel are just fast! I also am doing the rel 3d setup. 2 15" for l&r, t9x for center and another 15 for rear. Debating on 5 th sub for rear surround

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I like rel, tried the jl and b&w and svs. Rel are just fast! I also am doing the rel 3d setup. 2 15" for l&r, tx9 for center and another 15 for rear. Debating on 5 th sub for rear surround
I'm not questioning your choice, rel subwoofers are great gear. It's just that the Gotham will give you low frequencies and dry your laundry at the same time. Chances are it will peal off meat from bones too. :D

Dreamps

I'm not questioning your choice, rel subwoofers are great gear. It's just that the Gotham will give you low frequencies and dry your laundry at the same time. Chances are it will peal off meat from bones too. :D
That's awesome. I will go to my dealer and ask about it.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That's awesome. I will go to my dealer and ask about it.
4500 watts of power, the size of a washing machine and around 18 grand.

I have only listened to them once and they were so monstrous that made my guts feel like vomiting. I love "punchy" bass, but that was like Mike Tyson hitting me.

Dreamps

4500 watts of power, the size of a washing machine and around 18 grand.

I have only listened to them once and they were so monstrous that made my guts feel like vomiting. I love "punchy" bass, but that was like Mike Tyson hitting me.
Damn 18k?!?!? Add that to the lotto list

SDC

tempImageGUEq1z.jpg

tempImageRbi4ID.jpg

ls60.jpg

impulse.jpg

ls60 window.jpg

phone angle tool drifts over time so picture is 16 but was 15 at first

aligned at 1kHz

airplay 1 volume 63

70cm mic-speaker

used acoustic timing reference (can't measure without it because of delay)

umik-1 calibrated, you can check my previous measurements of 8351b for reference if you want

and this time I used 4367 for comparison

tempImage2MfaXX.jpg

asdfasdf.jpg

no smoothing 2.5 window

about obstacles around the measurement environment(aka living room),

1. ls60-4367 1.2 meter
2. umik-homegym 1 meter

Tangband

Major Contributor
View attachment 225893

View attachment 225894

View attachment 225895
View attachment 225896
View attachment 225897

phone angle tool drifts over time so picture is 16 but was 15 at first

aligned at 1kHz

airplay 1 volume 63

70cm mic-speaker

used acoustic timing reference (can't measure without it because of delay)

umik-1 calibrated, you can check my previous measurements of 8351b for reference if you want

and this time I used 4367 for comparison

View attachment 225903

View attachment 225904
no smoothing 2.5 window

about obstacles around the measurement environment(aka living room),

1. ls60-4367 1.2 meter
2. umik-homegym 1 meter
Thanks !
A thought.
Erins measurements of jbl 4367 shows no attenuation on axis at 9-12 Khz , nor do stereophiles measurements.
My conlusion- I think that your soundcard or mic might be showing a slightly bigger dip than for real at this area, this means that the ls60 is probably more linear than your measurements shows. Maybe only -2 dB down at 10 KHz.
Time will tell If this is correct.
C51F3205-C6E9-4C16-AABC-267A8D8BCBBE.png

Last edited:

SDC

Thanks !
A thought.
Erins measurements of jbl 4367 shows no attenuation on axis at 9-12 Khz , nor do stereophiles measurements.
My conlusion- I think that your soundcard or mic might be showing a slightly bigger dip than for real at this area, this means that the ls60 is probably more linear than your measurements shows. Maybe only -2 dB down at 10 KHz.
Time will tell If this is correct.
View attachment 225927

Two bumps around the dip makes it look bad, but actually it is within +-2dB which is very good for coaxial.

Comparison with 8351b shows the most data IMO, and A/Bed trace shows nice fr estimate (unfortunately I can't upload mdat file here)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Some of the argument people have against active speakers is the risk of failure. Darko has some good thoughts about this : ( cant link )

” Active loudspeakers: some of the strongest pushback I see online comes from those concerned about an amplifier module inside the cabinet eventually failing. Having to ship a faulty loudspeaker back to the local distributor or manufacturer is definitely a pain in the rear. But is it really any more of an inconvenience than having to send in one’s integrated amplifier? Whether the amplifier is external to the speaker or sits inside the speaker cabinet, a failure translates to ‘no more hi-fi until it’s fixed’.”

TSB

Some of the argument people have against active speakers is the risk of failure. Darko has some good thoughts about this : ( cant link )

” Active loudspeakers: some of the strongest pushback I see online comes from those concerned about an amplifier module inside the cabinet eventually failing. Having to ship a faulty loudspeaker back to the local distributor or manufacturer is definitely a pain in the rear. But is it really any more of an inconvenience than having to send in one’s integrated amplifier? Whether the amplifier is external to the speaker or sits inside the speaker cabinet, a failure translates to ‘no more hi-fi until it’s fixed’.”
Sure, but in case it's not fixable, an external amp can be switched for another one. An internal amp/dsp/crossover board, not so much.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't agree on that .

The amp in LS60 can only be replaced by that exact amp .

Any external amp can be replace by any other amp .

Butter

I guess my thought was, how hard can it be to swap out the amp/dsp module in the separate back area? It looks pretty easy. I've changed drivers in different speakers many times. I'm thinking they made the amp/dsp section easy to service.
But to be honest, I did email KEF about returning my unit or if they have a patch incoming. Because I don't mind running a firmware update, or replacing a module, what I mind is the system randomly not working. Also Roon is still not approved, so that's a pain. I'm comin up on 8 weeks almost now with these.
Maybe if I send these back, I'll get some R11's and a Benchmark amp and a miniDSP.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Did you hear any hiss when the speakers were powered on, but without any music playing, like @zen87192 did?
No, nothing that can be heard from 2 meters of distance anyway. I didnt think of any noise at all.
69841A17-EA28-44C5-A19A-D0CF37D01F3F.jpeg

Top Bottom