• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice Blade measurements and review of course,
Keith
Also interesting is the comparison of Kal Rubinson to his Revel Studio 2 and his conclusion:

In sum, as of today, the Blade Two Metas are the best speakers I've heard in this room (or perhaps anywhere), and I urge an audition to anyone interested in music reproduction of the highest quality. The Blades were picked up about 24 hours ago, and I miss them already.

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-blade-two-meta-loudspeaker-page-2

So, @Kal Rubinson will these replace the Revels you just sold recently?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to hear those Blade Metas.

I only had one brief encounter with the original Blades at an audio show and remember hearing the most realistic reproduction of a piano that I had encountered.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'd love to hear those Blade Metas.

I only had one brief encounter with the original Blades at an audio show and remember hearing the most realistic reproduction of a piano that I had encountered.
They are incredible speakers. The kind of stuff that simply is as good as your source and nothing else.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also interesting is the comparison of Kal Rubinson to his Revel Studio 2 and his conclusion:

In sum, as of today, the Blade Two Metas are the best speakers I've heard in this room (or perhaps anywhere), and I urge an audition to anyone interested in music reproduction of the highest quality. The Blades were picked up about 24 hours ago, and I miss them already.

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-blade-two-meta-loudspeaker-page-2

So, @Kal Rubinson will these replace the Revels you just sold recently?

It's a teeny bit confusing to me. In the review portion comparing the Blades to the Salons I got the impression there were minor differences in sound, but not one that favored one over the other. And that when not specifically comparing them, it was hard to tell them apart.

So I'm left unsure why Kal ultimately seemed to prefer the Blades over the Revels, in calling them the best speaker he's heard in his room.

I think the Blades are really cool looking. I like speakers that distinguish themselves somehow from the rest of the drivers-stuffed-in-boxes.

The KEF 105.2 speakers from the 80's were actually my big introduction to "high end audio" when my audiophile father brought home those "robot speakers" along with Carver amps.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a teeny bit confusing to me. In the review portion comparing the Blades to the Salons I got the impression there were minor differences in sound, but not one that favored one over the other. And that when not specifically comparing them, it was hard to tell them apart.

So I'm left unsure why Kal ultimately seemed to prefer the Blades over the Revels, in calling them the best speaker he's heard in his room.

(I think the Blades are really cool looking. I like speakers that distinguish themselves somehow from the rest of the drivers-stuffed-in-boxes)
Yes, I was also confused but am sure he will enlighten us soon.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
images

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes. But it could take some time. Meanwhile, I do have measurement of 5, 20cm.

About dropping high frequency maybe BT problem? don't know.

View attachment 225411

View attachment 225412
View attachment 225413
View attachment 225414
View attachment 225415
Back to ls60 .

Thanks for the measurements .
About the dropping high frequency - are your microphone calibrated ?, can you do measurement on the other speaker to, to see if its the same drop in both speakers?

I didnt hear any such high frequency shelving when I listened to ls60 .
98E0B7B7-F173-43C5-9CED-6F1A1CBE2079.jpeg

The older ls50 passive measured in kind of similar way - we see the same drop from 6 KHz and above in Amirms measurements :

69C51CD9-1F61-4E40-9F95-12973A6EB51C.png

Edit : those measurements by SDC are the first on this speakers and there are to many unknown parameters to draw any conclusions at all .

Last edited:

SDC

Back to ls60 .

Thanks for the measurements .
About the dropping high frequency - are your microphone calibrated ?, can you do measurement on the other speaker to, to see if its the same drop in both speakers?

I didnt hear any such high frequency shelving when I listened to ls60 .
View attachment 225506

The older ls50 passive measured in kind of similar way - we see the same drop from 6 KHz and above in Amirms measurements :

View attachment 225507

Yes I have two calibration file.

One factory cal from Minidsp, other custom made with Earthwork M30.

They differ +-1dB from each other, the dip is larger than both.

So it is mic too close or 4" Uni-Q having problem in the frequency range.

And that is the reason I posted Group Delay, to check for mic reflection caused by nearfield measurement.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes I have two calibration file.

One factory cal from Minidsp, other custom made with Earthwork M30.

They differ +-1dB from each other, the dip is larger than both.

So it is mic too close or 4" Uni-Q having problem in the frequency range.

And that is the reason I posted Group Delay, to check for mic reflection caused by nearfield measurement.
Fine .
Then the microphone is reliable.

A suggestion : If you put the speaker in the middle of the room ( the other speaker completely off ) and measure with a microphone stand , exactly on axis to the uni -Q driver about 50-70 cm away from it , and also measure 15 degrees off axis with 50 dB scale and 12 dB/oct smoothing from 200-20000 Hz , then we are able to see if this is a real trend .

Thanks anyway for the measurements already done .

SDC

Fine .

A suggestion : If you put the speaker in the middle of the room ( the other speaker completely off ) and measure with a microphone stand , exactly on axis to the uni -Q driver about 50-70 cm away from it , and also measure 15 degrees off axis with 50 dB scale and 12 dB/oct smoothing from 200-20000 Hz , then we are able to see if this is a real trend .

asdfasdf - 복사본.jpg

I can't move it right now. My families are using it and occupied till monday.

But I have 8351b for reference so I'll post it for now.

LS60 is great speaker I have no means to harm it's value.

79623636-889D-4F8C-B5E5-4F3CD505DC85.jpeg

Tangband

Major Contributor
View attachment 225518

I can't move it right now. My families are using it and occupied till monday.

But I have 8351b for reference so I'll post it for now.

LS60 is great speaker I have no means to harm it's value.

View attachment 225520
Those measurement looks much better , I understand , and thanks for measuring .
Yes, the ls60 sounded really good .

(Those measurements with the treble dip you showed, is thypical response when measuring on one loudspeaker and forget to turn off the other , - been there done that )

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor

And, isn't it surprising that they have an "astonishingly even on-axis response—even flatter than that of the original Blade Two—[which] is maintained over this wide measurement window." What are other loudspeaker manufacturers doing to compete with products such as this one?

SDC

Those measurement looks much better , I understand , and thanks for measuring .

(Those measurements with the treble dip you showed, is thypical response when measuring on one loudspeaker and forget to turn off the other , - been there done that )

Sorry, but I don't understand.

I didn't measure L+R. It was just R which is the Primary in my setting. Genelecs are measured with both channel on too.

Is something different with wireless connection?

Edit:
qwerqwer - 복사본.jpg

20-24kHz added. I think it is bluetooth delay not capturing the high frequency but honestly I don't know.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor

I didn't measure L+R. It was just R which is the Primary in my setting. Genelecs are measured with both channel on too.

No it probably doesnt matter - the important thing is that its not coming any sound at all from the other speaker in the room when measuring .

Tangband

Major Contributor
And, isn't it surprising that they have an "astonishingly even on-axis response—even flatter than that of the original Blade Two—[which] is maintained over this wide measurement window." What are other loudspeaker manufacturers doing to compete with products such as this one?
Theres a thread about Blade here :

This is a thread about ls60 , just saying.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

I think the Blades are really cool looking. I like speakers that distinguish themselves somehow from the rest of the drivers-stuffed-in-boxes.

The KEF 105.2 speakers from the 80's were actually my big introduction to "high end audio" when my audiophile father brought home those "robot speakers" along with Carver amps.
For the design, I'm partial because I like Brâncusi, but the inspiration of the bird in space is quite fitting for a speaker.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Edit:
View attachment 225522

20-24kHz added. I think it is bluetooth delay not capturing the high frequency but honestly I don't know.
Looks like a deliberate tuning to me, a very sensible one imo. Some attenuation of the frequency ranges that cause that annoying sssssibilants is not necessarily a bad thing. But some older folks will probably feel it's too dull due to less sensitive hearing in that range.

Top Bottom