• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
so their vision of the future is end users being paying beta testers for half baked products...

...so their vision is the same as all the other big tech corps. definitely selling my R7s as soon as the opportunity arises. can't support a company like that
Pro audio is the way to go

Danaxus

My guess is the reason the speakers struggle to communicate is because they're a speaker company that understands that aspect of the business very well, but don't understand the more computer-side of things (app software, wireless technologies, etc). The reason they don't have PEQ, HDMI 2.1 bypass, or can get their speakers to talk to each with without interruption, is a lack of experience with computer technologies.

TSB

so their vision of the future is end users being paying beta testers for half baked products...

...so their vision is the same as all the other big tech corps. definitely selling my R7s as soon as the opportunity arises. can't support a company like that
This is the reality of complex software / electronics sold at low volumes. Bugs will be discovered in the first few weeks / months after release.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
This is the reality of complex software / electronics sold at low volumes. Bugs will be discovered in the first few weeks / months after release.
I hope that at least the issues can be fixed, because that is not always certain.

That said, it's sad to think that the six month rule (wait half a year before buying a device so bugs are cleared) also apply to speakers.

Dreamps

with the latest update, I have no issues or dropouts between L+R speakers, replaced my ls50w2 + kc62 with these. Love the 60s, they are clearer and the tweeters sound way better in my opinion. Spoken words with shows and movies via hdmi arc sound much better and audible vs the 50w2. They are hooked up to a lg g2 via audioquest earc hdmi cable.

not fair to compare them to my 802d4 with jc1+ blocks but they can hold their own.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
with the latest update, I have no issues or dropouts between L+R speakers, replaced my ls50w2 + kc62 with these. Love the 60s, they are clearer and the tweeters sound way better in my opinion. Spoken words with shows and movies via hdmi arc sound much better and audible vs the 50w2. They are hooked up to a lg g2 via audioquest earc hdmi cable.

not fair to compare them to my 802d4 with jc1+ blocks but they can hold their own.
With the addition of EQ software such as Dirac or Audyssey, I´m sure the difference wouldn´t be that, that clear. Plus, no matter your system, you could squeeze further performance from the speakers. If Dynaudio can include Dirac on their speakers, so can KEF.

That said, I´m glad to see those bugs are ironed out.

Dreamps

Agreed, they could include dirac but I'm sure there is a cost associated with that and everyone is always about the bottom line. I also think that people that are looking for dirac are more on the HT side and not the 2 channel side.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Reports seems to be contradictory as always
Reports say the ls60 arent clean and bla bla now is super clean vs ls50 wii, which is already good.. Specially the tweeter not the woofers

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Agreed, they could include dirac but I'm sure there is a cost associated with that and everyone is always about the bottom line. I also think that people that are looking for dirac are more on the HT side and not the 2 channel side.
Dirac works on a license basis. If you want to use it, pay the license with the serial of the speakers and off you go; if not, keep them as they are. That is something everyone would be happy with. Well, Dirac prices are not cheap, but I think it would be more cost-effective for both Kef to create a calibration system from the ground up and for us users, to be able to access a system with plenty of accumulated know-how.
I have no direct and continual experience with Dirac (I do with Audyssey), but many comments highlight that it is precisely at HT where the results are not as good as with stereo. I´m a bit skeptic, as we are talking about a subject that involves something as variable as listening rooms, so hard to clearly see a trend.

Considering the LS actives, it is clear they are intended to be used as an all terrain solution (KEF advertises them as music/tv devices) as the presence of the HDMI shows; but even if the user never plugged an audio-visual source, room correction helps all systems as it adresses a fundamental issue of sound reproduction, no matter the source or the amount of channels.

Hopefully, Kef will develop a way to build an integrate their LS speakers into a multichannel system and bypass the need of an AVP/AVR while at it.

Last edited:

TSB

Who knows, maybe they are already working on Dirac integration as we speak.. :)

zen87192

So... four weeks of ownership and I'm happy. Operational status is faultless. These seem to get better after running in for a couple of weeks... be it for bedding in of drivers and/or electronics. Definitions of of musical instruments is great. Bass is tight and delivered brilliantly. Lows are well controlled. Treble is sharp and exactly as I like it. Not OTT nor slushy. Well defined and can dig out intricate information in the background of tracks that one would not hear originally. I have my LS60's placed 20cm from the back of the wall with a clear 40cm from the side walls. There are no adverse issues detected with this placement. When the LS60's really kick in is when you bump up the volume. Wow! Everything is delivered in a very controlled manner and you can really feel the air move with the Bass delivery. No booming Bass. Just controlled deep Bass. Everything is levelled accordingly to match the output delivery. Brilliant! For maximum effect one should connect both speakers with an RJ45 to speak to each other and deliver the maximum system definition with regards to sound quality from any streaming service. Surprisingly, the supplied Power Supply Cables are obviously suitable, but I did change these over to my Farad Power cables to see if there were any enhancements to be heard. This really made a noticable difference by supplying well shielded power to the speakers. Very strong performance from these Power Cables.... but you should draw your own conclusions from this method as not all Power Cables will give guaranteed performance increase nor may you hear them with immediate effect... if at all... depending on one own hearing capabilities as well. Overall... these are fantastic speakers. Are they worth the £6,000 GBP asking price? Hmmnn... everyone has their limits and personal requirements. Remembering these LS60's are an 'all-in-one' system this will be of great benefit to users requiring top sound with no added attachments or Cables laying around. You can of course attach an additional audio unit via the RCA connection, such as a Turntable, or a CD via the Optical connection which is a great idea for flexibility of use. If you can afford them, require the best for sound and would like the convenience for space saving and avoid cable phobia then I think yes... it's worth it... but get them in to your Home environment as a Demo and listen to them in situ. Place them correctly where you like them to be located and then tune them accordingly. Hopefully, KEF will introduce fuether improvements to their KEF App that controlls these LS60's and when they do this may give even more tuning capabilities to the already wonderful sounding active speakers.

Attachments

• 20220814_130231.jpg
    20220814_130231.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 216

Simply Stereo

Dealer
I did change these over to my Farad Power cables to see if there were any enhancements to be heard. This really made a noticable difference by supplying well shielded power to the speakers. Very strong performance from these Power Cables.... but you should draw your own conclusions from this method as not all Power Cables will give guaranteed performance increase nor may you hear them with immediate effect... if at all... depending on one own hearing capabilities as well.
….:confused:

zen87192

Yes... really... in my view... maybe not yours if you've not heard the Speakers or the Cables combined?

Last edited:

zen87192

"Very strong performance from these Power Cables...."

Really?

:rolleyes:
Tighter and more fluid delivery. Volume is not set as high as standard cables so there's a more clearer delivery of Mains Power. Dead black background as opposed to standard cables slight background hiss/noise. Clarity overall slightly improved.

Reed

Were you using a sub with the 50w2? How would you compare the phantom center between the two for tv/movies?

Danaxus

Tighter and more fluid delivery. Volume is not set as high as standard cables so there's a more clearer delivery of Mains Power. Dead black background as opposed to standard cables slight background hiss/noise. Clarity overall slightly improved.
Sounds like a night and day difference. If you film yourself doing a blind A/B test and point out that difference (almost) every time, you could send @amirm down a rabbit hole he may never escape from. Should be easy too, as you don't even need to play music - just switch it on and listen for the hiss.

zen87192

Sounds like a night and day difference. If you film yourself doing a blind A/B test and point out that difference (almost) every time, you could send @amirm down a rabbit hole he may never escape from. Should be easy too, as you don't even need to play music - just switch it on and listen for the hiss.
Too true...

Top Bottom