• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

lanidx

It's limited to PCM 48kHz then, I just double checked.

And yes, I cannot use the EQ and volume settings if MQA is enabled. I personally do not mind

* (only after rebooting the device)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's limited to PCM 48kHz then, I just double checked.

And yes, I cannot use the EQ and volume settings if MQA is enabled. I personally do not mind

* (only after rebooting the device)
Your DAC cannot unfold the MQA stream when MQA is disabled on the WiiM and EQ is off / volume set to 100%? Well, it's unexpected by me.

lanidx

I am sorry, I have to correct myself. You were right, as long as I have fixed volume activated, I get the full 192kHz stream without MQA activated on the WiiM Mini.
It’s a bit confusing though, sometimes I need to reboot, sometimes changes at effective immediately. Also, I wonder why there are then contradicting settings under different menu points …

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I am sorry, I have to correct myself. You were right, as long as I have fixed volume activated, I get the full 192kHz stream without MQA activate on the WiiM Mini.
It’s a bit confusing though, sometime I need to reboot, sometimes changes at effective immediately. Also, I wonder why there are then contradicting settings under different menu points …
Thx for the explanation, I started to be really confused without a way to verify this as I do not have an MQA DAC.

lanidx

Apparently, it is not only me being confused or having no clue. I cannot reproduce it but my Wiim occasionally refuses to pass through the MQA stream. I stopped playing for an hour or so, I did not change any settings, to realize that the stream went back to PCM. I rebooted the Wiim and it worked again.

So, for now I am back to the setting with MQA enabled. it seems to me that the Wiim software is indeed a bit buggy. I cannot imagine a scenario in which this behavior is caused by my DAC, but maybe I am mistaken.

Last edited:

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So I've just recently purchased a Yamaha A-S501 which has 5v 0.5 amps D.C. output...

Does anybody else have experience with using the 0.5 amp DC out to power the WiiM Mini?

rarewolf

So I've just recently purchased a Yamaha A-S501 which has 5v 0.5 amps D.C. output...

Does anybody else have experience with using the 0.5 amp DC out to power the WiiM Mini?

The Yamaha manual refers to it as an “accessory” power supply. I didn’t look further, but one question I’d have is if it provides continuous power and always live, or subject to the state of the amp. Neither am I sure the WiiM’s power management depends on its power being continuous, but they did design it with that assumption.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

The Yamaha manual refers to it as an “accessory” power supply. I didn’t look further, but one question I’d have is if it provides continuous power and always live, or subject to the state of the amp. Neither am I sure the WiiM’s power management depends on its power being continuous, but they did design it with that assumption.
Haha that's funny, because that's what I was wondering.

I guess that I'll let you know when the A-S501 arrives to my home.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Can someone make basic FFT measurements of Mini analog output for both channels separately? Especially for older unit, around year old?

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With Tidal, in Mini and pro, I see only my playlist, but not the albums and titles, does anyone have a solution to help me?

morillon

Major Contributor
Can someone make basic FFT measurements of Mini analog output for both channels separately? Especially for older unit, around year old?
that would be really important...

Last edited:

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Rarewolf, you simply MUST read my findings - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-mini-is-perfect-for-the-yamaha-a-s501.44006/

LuckyLyndy

My first post.
I have the Mini, and I could not link it to my DAC. I hear the 'click', but that's it.
I am using an adapter, to go from toslink to a BNC coupler.
My DAC is this one, or a version. I don't see the Lunddahl transformers in the photo, but that shouldn't matter.
It is frustrating, because I pulled my 'good' gear, and put in an old A/V receiver for the Mini to work.
As an addendum, the Wiim app has worked just fine on my tablet, but the Amazon Music UHD app now works.
Thanks again to all the members. I enjoy this website, but many of the members are so knowledgeable, it makes me feel like a Monty Python newt, just like on diyaudio.

Last edited:

RooBoy

Since the last update gapless no longer works on the mini using Amazon HD

NewbieAudiophileExpert

DOes anybody here have an amazon HD playlist that they'd like to share?

Bamyasi

Since the last update gapless no longer works on the mini using Amazon HD
Mine required an extra (manual) reboot after the update as it somehow fell back to playing in SD only (which is not gapless). Actually, I rebooted both WiiM and my tablet with the Amazon Music app, so not sure which one was required but it helped.

rarewolf

Mine required an extra (manual) reboot after the update as it somehow fell back to playing in SD only (which is not gapless). Actually, I rebooted both WiiM and my tablet with the Amazon Music app, so not sure which one was required but it helped.

It was rebooting my WiiM that fixed extended gaps between tracks from my JRiver server…

Big White

Is the distortion problem fixed when we turn on fixed volume on Wiim mini via optical out?

Top Bottom