• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

Are you sure you've imported a test file not the response file? Even peak level on your screen doesn't seem to be correct.
the file wasn't imported well. I suppose happened some compression in office mailing system for .wav files.

I took it again in a better way and signal looks as it should

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
the file wasn't imported well. I suppose happened some compression in office mailing system for .wav files.

I took it again in a better way and signal looks as it should
Weird as hell but I'm glad you were able to get a correct result eventually.

Jpdelaney.tml

It looks like I have the distortion but in SPL dB, 50 dB between 1 khz and the highest harmonic. Any comments on my "AudioControl" app phone-based FFT analysis??
Do we have a problem I can use to justify a replacement unit as offered by Wiim?

Attachments

• 1khz, 24 bit 96khz tone FFT speaker of amazon from my NAS FFT.jpg
    1khz, 24 bit 96khz tone FFT speaker of amazon from my NAS FFT.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 40
  • played File with Distortion from ASR Forum download.png
    played File with Distortion from ASR Forum download.png
    731.2 KB · Views: 46
  • room background fft.jpg
    room background fft.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 45

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It looks like I have the distortion but in SPL dB, 50 dB between 1 khz and the highest harmonic. Any comments on my "AudioControl" app phone-based FFT analysis??
Do we have a problem I can use to justify a replacement unit as offered by Wiim?
Is that from your "Bit-perfect is GOD" device in which you've believed so much?

morillon

Major Contributor
As we know already that issue itself has been confirmed and it's going to be fixed, I'm still curious how it's possible that not all units are affected and some of them have passed RME "bit-perfect" test (with an assumption that second part of above sentence it true). Could someone try to explain it?

it will be a shame to wait for a new firmware, because if the bug is fixed, we will no longer be able to observe whether or not certain wiim were indeed unaffected.....
and if the rme test was 100 percent relevant..
would be really too stupid to wait
:oops:

Last edited:

Jpdelaney.tml

Yes, but I suggest I can find "God" again! with Wiims help.

My research says real music covers a lot of distortion at lower amplitudes than the main track signal. I hear the lower hum on the 60 dB level harmonic on the ASR download file for sure. Cannot replicate it with my 1 kHz tone.
60 dB SPL difference seems to mask a lot to my old ears anyway own tome playback if the upper harmonic distortions are there which they seem to be visually in FFT.

Thus my comment I use measurements because "I" usually cannot hear these issues as such. I still like to think I am getting as good as I can reasonably afford to get in the way of digital audio streaming (AMUHD) and the choice of the WIIM seemed to be the best one at the time (2021). My ears can live with 16 bit / 44.1 Khz anyway and be very happy.

Just me personally. Just trying to decide if I get my Mini replaced will it be any better???

Jpdelaney.tml

First is speaker FFT my 1khz tone usb to DAC, window 10 , second FFT is Wiim Mini my NAS, Wiim app, to my DAC optical. Look the same to me. No distortion max volume for both. What up I look okay this way?

Attachments

• 67D393F6-288A-4C6D-B3BF-52F0B1E23FED.jpeg
    67D393F6-288A-4C6D-B3BF-52F0B1E23FED.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 2EB78991-EA05-40B8-859E-9F7603019CE3.jpeg
    2EB78991-EA05-40B8-859E-9F7603019CE3.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 42

Jpdelaney.tml

My research says real music covers a lot of distortion at lower amplitudes than the main track signal. I hear the lower hum on the 60 dB level harmonic on the ASR download file for sure. Cannot replicate it with my 1 kHz tone.
60 dB SPL difference seems to mask a lot to my old ears anyway own tome playback if the upper harmonic distortions are there which they seem to be visually in FFT.

Thus my comment I use measurements because "I" usually cannot hear these issues as such. I still like to think I am getting as good as I can reasonably afford to get in the way of digital audio streaming (AMUHD) and the choice of the WIIM seemed to be the best one at the time (2021). My ears can live with 16 bit / 44.1 Khz anyway and be very happy.

Just me personally. Just trying to decide if I get my Mini replaced will it be any better???

Jpdelaney.tml

Sorry did not think it posted.

Phrangko

I just received my Wiim streamer, and it is a nice little unit. Easy to set up. I am using optical out to Schiit Modi.

It seems that even with the 192/24 update, Tidal Connect is still limited to Hifi quality settings. Does this imply that 44.1/16 is the best it will see from Tidal Connect? I have used Tidal Connect via RPi with Volumio, and it seemed to handle higher-res tracks.

Also, is there an easy way to see what sample rate/bit depth is being served while playing?
We're lucky to have 16/44.1 for Spotify. 320kbps is not the ideal streaming we really want.

morillon

Major Contributor
matches that....

badly done and a problem appeared on this date...
not sufficiently checked before being integrated...and even created more problems....

all this is above all edifying on many subjects...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-082126_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-082126_Chrome.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
matches that....

badly done and a problem appeared on this date...
not sufficiently checked before being integrated...

all this is above all edifying on many subjects...
Exactly what we have suspected. But how it was possible to pass RME test?

morillon

Major Contributor
tests only test... what they test...
:p
Moreover, what we practice here even in excessively "simplistic" audio is a perfect example...
even if can give us some information...(the proof too)

:oops:
someone with an adi, a wiim, a bit perfect ok test rme , to quickly measure in toslink, simple because standardized (or analog)...
takes only a few minutes to those who know a little about this subject

before the firmware was changed

it's interesting...

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
My measurements in the digital domain look good for beta. Bear in mind that EQ is completely disabled in this FW, so no possibility to test the behavior with EQ enabled.

Sine:
1667547916438.png

SMPTE:
1667548044009.png

CCIF:
1667548164152.png

morillon

Major Contributor
Let me know if you would like me to test anything else.
no need.. it is very explicit
;-)
(ah yes! for fun... but unrelated
a j-test produced by rew... 48/24
see a single 12k 48/24
hehe.. :p:p ;-) )

Top Bottom