• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lowering the output won’t get that much of a volume and sound dull. Too high cause distortions and bright.

morillon

Major Contributor
funny ....
I feel the moment is coming when:
-will I be reproached for having perceived a problem ..
-having it measured...
- and having shared it...
hehehe
"tar and feathers" ?
hihi

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I read somewhere that Tidal's recommended levels for whom wants to publish on it, are -14 LUFS and maximum peak of -0.5dBT. I read also that Tidal reduces excess of LUTFS but not rises level if the song is too much quiet as Spotify does.
Shurely, is possible that sometimes a little peak can pass but it should be very short and in effect I can't say to have hear distorsion other than from test signals.
Anyway, psychological or not, that thing must be resolved... ;-)
Most of the people will not hear the difference between AAC and hires lossless content in the real life scenarios, but we still expect our audio equipment to be the best possible quality. WiiM Mini is advertised as the bitperfect and transparent device which can compete with much more expensive ones and which can be used even with high-end audio. That makes expectations to be on a very high level. And it doesn't really matter how possible is the situation if introduced clipping would be hearable.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Ran the RME test again, this time watching the incoming peak VU, expecting to see peaks below -1.2dB. It’s actually showing OVR, yet still passes bit-accuracy. I dunno.
o_O
C2140F7C-BEE1-4439-8CC2-B4BC90AF0ECF.jpeg

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Ran the RME test again, this time watching the incoming peak VU, expecting to see peaks below -1.2dB. It’s actually showing OVR, yet still passes bit-accuracy. I dunno.
o_O
View attachment 241146
I guess it's fine then, as "For the digital inputs (Pre-FX), Over appears when the signal is at the maximum possible level." RME test signal has its peak at 0 dBFS. Somehow your unit seems to be not affected by distortion issue, as it would limit the peak to -1.1 dBFS IMO.
DigiCheck could tell more.

morillon

Major Contributor
(I don't understand that at all... the usual test points to an "over"?
possible to made a test with another source "ok"?)
it's just not possible to make a measurement?
At this rate we are still there until Christmas...
;-))))

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I run ChromeOS. Digicheck and most other testing apps won’t run on Linux, unfortunately, and I’m not inclined to install anything that runs under an ancient version of Java.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
it seems to me that the curiosity on this kind of point was a little in the heart of asr..
but basically ... I can stick to the fact that the bug found and that should be fixed ...
;-)
rew ? linux Java?

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Requires java 8. Current java version is, iirc, 19. No thanks. Security nightmare.

Tried the REW installer a while ago, it fails under ChromeOS Linux (Debian), even as root. Looks like it will only work on AMD, not Intel.

Just tried again. Nope.

root@penguin:/mnt/chromeos/MyFiles/Downloads# ./REW_linux_AMD64_5_20_13.sh
Unpacking JRE ...
tar: lib/amd64/libfreetype.so: Cannot create symlink to ‘libfreetype.so.6’: Permission denied
tar: lib/amd64/server/libjsig.so: Cannot create symlink to ‘../libjsig.so’: Permission denied
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Starting Installer ...
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyAn error occurred:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
Error log: /tmp/install4jError544322289753602100.log
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(GraphicsEnvironment.java:103)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:82)
at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(XToolkit.java:131)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:860)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:855)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:854)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getEventQueue(Toolkit.java:1736)
at java.awt.EventQueue.isDispatchThread(EventQueue.java:1071)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.GUIHelper.invokeOnEDT(GUIHelper.java:436)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.headless.AbstractHeadlessScreenExecutor.init(AbstractHeadlessScreenExecutor.java:83)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.headless.ConsoleScreenExecutor.<init>(ConsoleScreenExecutor.java:25)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.headless.InstallerConsoleScreenExecutor.<init>(InstallerConsoleScreenExecutor.java:6)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.getScreenExecutor(Installer.java:84)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.runInProcess(Installer.java:60)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Installer.java:46)

morillon

Major Contributor
It's clearly your skills, not mine.
;-)
just under windows on an old pc dedicated to this kind of thing? (typically on a single channel ... less than 1M in fft ...
you don't really need a big machine...)
;-)

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
You don't seem to get it. I don't have or want a Windoze PC. I prefer Linux, thanks. I also prefer not to install an ancient, insecure version of Java on anything.

morillon

Major Contributor
I had not understood that the subject was so serious...
sorry
;-)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Pity, as we are loosing last chances to get some simple measurements for WiiMs which are claimed to pass RME test and still do not have a fixed FW.
There are so many options including virtual machines...

Bamyasi

Pity, as we are loosing last chances to get some simple measurements for WiiMs which are claimed to pass RME test and still do not have a fixed FW.
There are so many options including virtual machines...
Well, have you tried factory reset after FW update on your's? It is a recommended procedure for any user configurable devices. NVM on the device can often get corrupt during update.

morillon

Major Contributor
android too...
(but just pandora's contribution which was a little late compared to their forecast...)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Well, have you tried factory reset after FW update on your's? It is a recommended procedure for any user configurable devices. NVM on the device can often get corrupt during update.
What for? No distortion issue on current beta.

morillon

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Rudimentary question - when you use the bluetooth function on the Wiim, what codec does it use to send the info to my receiver? (I assume it's the Wiim that must do the converting because my receiver predates bluetooth, but I admit I don't have a deep knowledge of this stuff. Receiver is a Sony STR DH-700). I only ask because they still haven't fixed the Deezer functionality and sometimes I get sick of logging out and in and just use bluetooth direct from the deezer app.

Also, I appreciate some people know a lot about this stuff and like to scoff at the rookies, so if my question is stupid I'd ask for your patience :p
SBC and AAC codec - see https://wiim.community.forum/threads/bluetooth-codecs.16/

Jeza3975

Is anyone aware if the wiim mini software now has inbuilt parametric EQ? I'm looking to change out my raspberry pi that's been running volumio which is being extremely buggy. Not having parametric EQ is a deal-breaker for me.

Top Bottom