• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
For what it can be, after a quick listening test of dual tone with wiim>DAC>Nad>headphones:
EQ off, no clipping distortion, neither at fixed volume, nor at maximum volume.
EQ on, distortion is evident, both at fixed volume and at maximum volume.
If you lower the volume by a notch or set a little downward on some frequency slider of the equalizer, the distortion seems disappear.
As far as I'm concerned, since I don't use the EQ, problem cleared, end of the "level crisis"...
Seems to be similar to what I've seen with the latest beta if you meant the behavior with EQ on "flat" position. No idea why they didn't implement just a smart pre-gain.

Merifon

Seems to be similar to what I've seen with the latest beta if you meant the behavior with EQ on "flat" position. No idea why they didn't implement just a smart pre-gain.
Yes, for whom use EQ, better set variable volume and step down it a little...

morillon

Major Contributor
Yes, for whom use EQ, better set variable volume and step down it a little...
even if in contradiction with the efforts on the hd ultra hd side, see in multiroom, the mqa .. the 192k etc
does not seem to me that wiim is very comfortable with subjects concerning audio, not very concerned ....
a history "of culture" .. more computer etc etc can be
;-)
but
end about "drc opération "

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
even if in contradiction with the efforts on the hd ultra hd side, see in multiroom, the mqa .. the 192k etc
does not seem to me that wiim is very comfortable with subjects concerning audio, not very concerned ....
a history "of culture" .. more computer etc etc can be
;-)
but
end about "drc opération "
Do you know any company who give so much for less than 100? Maybe you need to buy naim and if things don’t go well on what you want you can complain because you pay exotic price.

morillon

Major Contributor
my point is precisely unrelated to money...nor fantasized expectations...etc
and what just happened is a small example
;-)

Last edited:

Smartplug

my point is precisely unrelated to money...
and what just happened is a small example
;-)
Look you been complaining all this distortion and the reader of this forum are aware of the situation and why you keep posting the same old dance? I’m pretty sure wiim also knows the issue. Just remember every time you add code because of features along the line you break something and that’s just the way things are. We did not have this problem prior of eq.

morillon

Major Contributor
I don't get it..
I haven't talked about it for a while...
pointed out for a while that wiim aware and will settle it..
and finds satisfied that probably settled...
since 03/11
we, and wiim, know ....

and I just hope I don't have to take time with this kind of situation anymore...
ps
to help because I'm not concerned.. I spoke with the support of wiim about the clipping problems on the eq mode... in May...
(
as a reminder of this story, "the ramblings" of onlyonme or me and a few others, the tons of messages..measurements etc
we were essentially to try to explain the thing, to invite others to verify our statements, etc.
especially on a forum like asr!
while at the same time some bit perfect test in hand would suggest that we were morons etc.

So started from something not very important that just had to be checked and settled by wiim..
to end up with an infinite waste of time.. and pass for a "bore going around in circles"
for information
the eq function has existed since the beginning and it is by trying to circumvent the clippings on this mode which has also existed for months.. that they included drc... and that we unfortunately also left in the no eq mode. ..
moreover, as we can see, this drc hardly works even in eq mode.

I would have done better to keep it quiet...

Last edited:

kate25

Guys, I can't find the answer to my question. So I'll ask you.
Now I use Up2stream devices and they have a one second sound lag relative to the audio source (bt, line in, usb dac) when they work in a multiroom. It's not comfortable when dealing with videos.
How things are with this on WiiM . Has this feature been improved? Has anyone tested this use case?
I'm sorry, but I didn't read the entire thread, and the search didn't help

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Guys, I can't find the answer to my question. So I'll ask you.
Now I use Up2stream devices and they have a one second sound lag relative to the audio source (bt, line in, usb dac) when they work in a multiroom. It's not comfortable when dealing with videos.
How things are with this on WiiM . Has this feature been improved? Has anyone tested this use case?
I'm sorry, but I didn't read the entire thread, and the search didn't help
It's the nature of the beast. You'll have the same issue with Sonos or any other multiroom system. These really aren't designed to sync with video. Use an app on your smart TV to do this.

kate25

It's sad. I use the multiroom function to output audio from my PC to all rooms. When I return to the screen, I have to turn off the multiroom to remove the desynchronization between the image and sound. It's annoying.
If companies reduced the latency (using modern SoC and fast wi-fi/eth) from one second to ~200 ms, this would be acceptable.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
FWIW, it should be possible to use swyh-rs to send digital audio from Deezer and others that aren't advanced enough to have their own casting support to the WiiM via UPnP. I haven't tested it, but it's a superior take on Stream What You Hear, written in Rust, and multi-platform.

Edit: Tested on my ChromeBox, Tidal->Strawberry->swyh-rs->WiiM Mini
Opened port 5901, pointed the WiiM to swyh.wav on the ChromeBox, working without issue. No metadata displayed, of course. Should work fine with any streaming service, using their native UIs.

1668193056783.png

Last edited:

ENG

Forum Donor
Today I got the newest firmware 4.6.435135, and all the problems with Deezer are still there. 128 kb playing 30 seconds after a few numbers and favourits dissapear or belong to another person.
I was planning to buy Pro, but that I wouldn’t before Deezer works perfect.

Bamyasi

FWIW, it should be possible to use swyh-rs to send digital audio from Deezer and others that aren't advanced enough to have their own casting support to the WiiM via UPnP. I haven't tested it, but it's a superior take on Stream What You Hear, written in Rust, and multi-platform.

Edit: Tested on my ChromeBox, Tidal->Strawberry->swyh-rs->WiiM Mini
Opened port 5901, pointed the WiiM to swyh.wav on the ChromeBox, working without issue. No metadata displayed, of course. Should work fine with any streaming service, using their native UIs.

View attachment 242647
Actually, you do not need scripts running on extra devices, re-casting any stream played on your phone/tablet (at 16/44.1 lossless) via DLNA has been available in BubbleUPnP app for quite some time now.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Actually, you do not need scripts running on extra devices, re-casting any stream played on your phone/tablet (at 16/44.1 lossless) via DLNA has been available in BubbleUPnP app for quite some time now.
Different use case. This works under Linux and Windoze, for desktop apps or browser. Also, I've never been able to get Bubble to work on my Chromebooks.

Also, this isn't a "script", it's written in Rust, a very secure language which is fully compiled, and is slowly beginning to replace C in the Linux kernel.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I can see weird fade-in effect when I record WiiM's output with current beta FW:

1668198768030.png

@Ralph_Cramden
Could you please verify it with your equipment? I've attached a test file.

Attachments

• WhiteNoise_Full_-9_dBFS_96k_PCM24_L.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 45

Smartplug

New wiim app iOS “new features” compatible with wiim pro” could it be the release is imminent since it got release sooner than later?

Jpdelaney.tml

Please explain,
First, 2010 Toshiba tv, toslink to Yamaha AVR play 1khz tone and use iPhone 11 to produce FFT graph from speakers,
Second, Wiim Mini toslink to Yamaha AVR play tone(,both through Amazon Music APP. Why is fire stick audio cleaner than Mini?(right)

Attachments

• F49AAB01-32CC-4543-9B48-D2460441670E.png
    F49AAB01-32CC-4543-9B48-D2460441670E.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 88E9870A-1207-4EA8-941E-466D3E1967AA.png
    88E9870A-1207-4EA8-941E-466D3E1967AA.png
    247.5 KB · Views: 60

Merifon

Please explain,
First, 2010 Toshiba tv, toslink to Yamaha AVR play 1khz tone and use iPhone 11 to produce FFT graph from speakers,
Second, Wiim Mini toslink to Yamaha AVR play tone(,both through Amazon Music APP. Why is fire stick audio cleaner than Mini?(right)
Don't know. Was the same loudness?
I did a rapid test on a little noisy room. It can't be taken as reference at all.
Source was the same Tidal test tone 1khz 0dB from "Bass monster" album.
I used a phone mic set about 8cm in front a two way speaker's woofer.
Overall loudness was the same, not really loud to not stress vintage amp.
First Pic is from BT LDAC 44.1/16 of SMSL do100 dac.
Second is from wiim toslink, same SMSL do100.
Just to clarify, the 50 Hz component is from amp, even present a 0 volume but is not hearable unless putting the ear on the cone, aniway very, very low, despite the graph appearance.
As far i can se, considering tolerance of this rough measure, the results are quite the same.
My consideration is that seeing graphics, the old amp should be replaced but images are worst than effective reality...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113_093739_org.intoorbit.spectrum.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113_093739_org.intoorbit.spectrum.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20221113_094308_org.intoorbit.spectrum.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113_094308_org.intoorbit.spectrum.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 55

Merifon

I am concerned with the 1k+ harmonics. Only difference was source, tv+Firestick 4K vs Wiim mini.
Your second image seems to show a louder level, perhaps the amp is starting to add some distortion.
Just for reference, this is the same signal taken similarly, from Ikea's Eneby 20 speaker, battery powered and wired to an iPhone with the same Tidal source.
Maybe even the source signal it's not perfect. This test would require better machinery...

Attachments

• Eneby 20 iPhone wired.jpg
    Eneby 20 iPhone wired.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Top Bottom