• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Bamyasi

So use the Qobuz, Tidal, etc. APIs to write your own UI for the WiiM. I'm quite happy with the one I wrote for Tidal, perfectly suited to the way I play music (jazz, an album at a time, with reviews, bios, liner notes immediately visible and updatable). Your requirements will differ, but the WiiM's UPnP interface and its built-in ability to connect to all the services, makes it quite doable. Here's one another member here wrote: https://github.com/chrishuangcf/wiim-mini-ui
WiiM UPnP built-in renderer does not support gapless playback. It might be still doable but certainly a waste of time. The fact that I know how to write programs does not mean I have to do this for every piece of hardware I use, from my car to my network streamer. I have other thing to program for, thanks very much.

WiiM Support

Every gapless album I've tried fails to play gaplessly. A good example is Joe Jackson's "Night and Day" (the built-in crossfades in the original make it very obvious if the playback is not gapless). This is a "normal" 16/44.1 album in AMHD. Yes I've run into a few odd albums with assorted sample rates, but those are exceptions really.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Are you casting from Amazon Music or from AM in the WiiM App? We haven't supported the gapless playback from Amazon Music casting yet. It'll be supported next month as stated in our roadmap. Please stay tuned! Thank you.

Bamyasi

If your album or playlist has the same sample rate and bit-depth but still hear the gap, please send us a feedback via WiiM App. We'll look at this issue imimmediately.Dear
Dear @WiiM Support , I am not the OP but I have a good example which I've already described in my feedback sent from WiiM app: The Dark Side Of The Moon album by Pink Floyd. It is 24 bit / 96 kHz (UltraHD) album on Amazon Music and on Qobuz as well. All tracks are the same sampling rate. Try playing track one and wait for its transition to track two. The helicopter effect on Amazon Music stutters between tracks. Same transition plays seamlessly via Qobuz, the helicopter rotates smoothly around your head, without suddenly stopping in the air, then jumping.

And scrubbing is definitely broken in this firmware, as others mentioned already. It skips to next track if you touch the slider.

Edit: Just to make it clear, I am talking about WiiM app playback, NOT about casting from other apps. I am aware that gapless casting to WiiM Mini is not available yet.

Last edited:

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought the same until I've found an album with different sample rates on AM.
It's true. My iOS iPad and my PC Amazon app clearly show differences within some albums, particularly reissues and compilations. Amazon just gives you the best that they get from the owner.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
WiiM UPnP built-in renderer does not support gapless playback. It might be still doable but certainly a waste of time. The fact that I know how to write programs does not mean I have to do this for every piece of hardware I use, from my car to my network streamer. I have other thing to program for, thanks very much.
You can use UPnP merely to populate and play a Queue on the WiiM, which then takes over entirely, using its native access to the services; no need to push individual tracks via UPnP. This SHOULD be gapless, but gapless is something I personally could care less about, not having OCD about such trivialities.

WiiM Support

Dear @WiiM Support , I am not the OP but I have a good example which I already described in my feedback sent from WiiM app: The Dark Side Of The Moon album by Pink Floyd. It is 24 bit / 96 kHz (UltraHD) album on Amazon Music and on Qobuz as well. All tracks are the same sampling rate. Try playing track one and wait for its transition to track two. The helicopter effect on Amazon Music stutters between tracks. Same transition plays seamlessly via Qobuz, the helicopter rotates smoothly around your head, without suddenly stopping in the air, then jumping.

And scrubbing is definitely broken in this firmware, as others mentioned already. It skips to next track if you touch the slider.

Edit: Just to make it clear, I am talking about WiiM app playback, NOT about casting from other apps. I am aware that gapless casting to WiiM Mini is not available yet.
Thanks. It's super helpful. We'll check your feedback and fix it ASAP.

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's true. My iOS iPad and my PC Amazon app clearly show differences within some albums, particularly reissues and compilations. Amazon just gives you the best that they get from the owner.
He's talking about something different.

One album playing but the tracks have different sample rates

Such exists on Apple and Qobuz too - so it's not an Amazon specific issue

Bamyasi

You can use UPnP merely to populate and play a Queue on the WiiM, which then takes over entirely, using its native access to the services; no need to push individual tracks via UPnP. This SHOULD be gapless, but gapless is something I personally could care less about, not having OCD about such trivialities.
It is not, and that's what I was saying. GMrenderer (open source) can do gapless queue playback and has been able to do this for years. LinkPlay developers decided to reinvent the wheel, likely because of fear of licensing problems. Unfortunately, their version of the wheel is not exactly round, yet.

Last edited:

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
He's talking about something different.

One album playing but the tracks have different sample rates

Such exists on Apple and Qobuz too - so it's not an Amazon specific issue
I'm not sure how you read me. Sample rates and depths do change sometimes from track to track within one album. That is revealed on the AM app on PC and iOS. Whatever did you think you read?

Smartplug

I don’t think it’s a good idea to upsampling just to get gapless and break the bit perfect. A tiny gap doesn’t bother me and most users but breaking bit perfect is something all users don’t want.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think it’s a good idea to upsampling just to get gapless and break the bit perfect. A tiny gap doesn’t bother me and most users but breaking bit perfect is something all users don’t want.
I guess it's personal preference there are certainly some albums you cannot play unless it's gapless.

egbx

Hi, thanks for your reply. Are you casting from Amazon Music or from AM in the WiiM App? We haven't supported the gapless playback from Amazon Music casting yet. It'll be supported next month as stated in our roadmap. Please stay tuned! Thank you.
I’m only using the Wiim app on iOS. Not casting from AM.

murzik

Some of the firmware updates turned UHD off for me, go back and check your Alexa setting and turn on UHD for all Wiim devices that you have.
Alex settings in WiiM home app? I have it on... UHD casting is working on Iphone, not working on Android.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Alex settings in WiiM home app? I have it on... UHD casting is working on Iphone, not working on Android.
There are now two places to set it:
1. Under Browse/Amazon Music/Settings
2. Under Device/(gear icon)/Amazon Alexa Settings

WiiM Support

I’m only using the Wiim app on iOS. Not casting from AM.
Hi Egbx, our engineers found the root cause. We have the fade-in and out for AM that we should disable it for the gapless playback. The gap that you're hearing is due to the fading. We'll fix it in our next firmware release (in early next week). Please stay tuned!

Thank you and other community members for helping us to troubleshoot this. Our apologies for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

WiiM Support

There are now two places to set it:
1. Under Browse/Amazon Music/Settings
2. Under Device/(gear icon)/Amazon Alexa Settings
Hi Ralph, Murzik

For the UHD casting, you can set Amazon Alexa setting only. Amazon music setting won't affect this and please leave it always on (support UHD). You just need turn it on once and the setting will be stored in the WiiM Mini device. If your iOS works but Android doesn't work, it seems to be a bug. Please help send us a feedback so we can troubleshoot this quickly. Thank you!

WiiM Support

Well wait for the public release, nobody is forcing you to use the beta...
Expecting issues is almost a given with non production releases, and given that it might even be DAC dependent, the more people who do report back issues, the better the public release will hopefully be.
Hi Brantome, mediocrebutarrogant

One possible reason is the pair of WiiM Mini and your DAC can't handle the 88.2k Hz audio output well. We do observe in our lab that some DAC receiver can't handle the 88.2k though they can handle 44.1k, 48k, 96k even 192k well but not 88.2k and 176.4k. We'll add one option to resample this to 96k or 192k in future. When the pair has the issue to handle 88.2k or 176.4k, we can turn on this option. Hope this clarifies.

thomasward00

Blue sound is releasing the Powernode edge for $649, hopefully that means they will be releasing a cheaper Node...
I do prefer to support a non Chinese company when possible.

Smartplug

Blue sound is releasing the Powernode edge for $649, hopefully that means they will be releasing a cheaper Node...
Power node with built in amp?

WiiM Support

As a product support member from LinkPlay, I should give our best service in whatever places w/o bringing anything else that's unrelated to the product. But seeing this type of message in this well respected forum repeatedly just hurts (to say the least). If you look at LinkPlay's founder members and our core teams, we're global company and many of us are living in the Bay area and EU, also the company is headquartered in the Bay Area. By saying this, we're not shy of admitting many of our team are Chinese and we're very proud of that. By the end of the day, I hope the product and service that we bring to community defines who we're, not by where we're born or our ethnic. Thank you!

Top Bottom