• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
AFAIK Alexa multi-room is achieved via Bluetooth? You have the main Echo device as the master, which sends music data to the other devices in the group via Bluetooth.

If that's the case, not sure how Wiim Mini would work in this context.
No, Alexa MRM groups are not achieved via bluetooth - see my earlier comments on MRM. And the WiiM Mini operates happily as a member of an MRM group. Someone had this issue earlier and resolved it by rebuilding the MRM group

Edit: “Alexa MRM is optimized to ensure reliable playback and maintain synchronized clocks between the devices over a standard home Wi-Fi network.
Ref: https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/...h-alexa-multi-room-music-and-device-targeting

Last edited:

thomasward00

Wiim not only is affordable that most can afford but their superior software and firmware development are world class beating big manufacturers. Soon, wiim will take the market by storm leaving expensive streamer to dust. I will be linkplay forever loyal fan and buying their future product.
Agree 100%
Forget paying $600 for a blue sound Node.... Not to mention the Nodes internal DAC isn't great so you still need to connect to an external DAC like the Wiim.

Brantome

Major Contributor
This is impossible. It would be a disaster
Indeed - Bluetooth wouldn’t have the bandwidth for one thing. This is an old alexa myth, I think partly borne out of echo devices dropping external Bluetooth speaker connections when part of a multi room music group. Even that isn’t entirely true as some models do and some models don’t…

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think by the end of this month unless someone find a major bug it may finally get official firmware for amazon hd. Then, they will finishing what is remaining on tidal master.

thomasward00

I think by the end of this month unless someone find a major bug it may finally get official firmware for amazon hd. Then, they will finishing what is remaining on tidal master.
Long as they have Amazon, Qobuz and Tidal done, I'm fine with the Wiim app...
This company has a winner on its hands.

Smartplug

Long as they have Amazon, Qobuz and Tidal done, I'm fine with the Wiim app...
This company has a winner on its hands.
I mean amazon is nearing to its finishing line with both wiim app and amazon app working properly. I was told tidal master will be next in line starting wiim app supporting master then will work on first unfold. The biggest news was they are working to make wiim mini to decode full mqa without using external mqa dac.

thomasward00

I mean amazon is nearing to its finishing line with both wiim app and amazon app working properly. I was told tidal master will be next in line starting wiim app supporting master then will work on first unfold. The biggest news was they are working to make wiim mini to decode full mqa without using external mqa dac.
Great, although I'm not concerned with MQA,. .WAV and .Flac are good enough for me.

Smartplug

At the end of this year, I think it’s pretty much all known feature that can be incorporated will be done including roon. With that said, who want to buy node and stream?

thomasward00

At the end of this year, I think it’s pretty much all known feature that can be incorporated will be done including roon. With that said, who want to buy node and stream?
The Node does seem like a nice product, but not at $600, maybe $300, I like the ability to play high res files via USB and it's internal DAC does full MQA, but $600 is simply too much, overpriced.

murzik

Got 439 ver. Can't stream UHD from Amazon app( android). Plays UHD from WIIM app.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Got 439 ver. Can't stream UHD from Amazon app( android). Plays UHD from WIIM app, but not very reliable. WIIM app stream rate does not alway what my DAC say. What am I missing?
Have you been whitelisted by WiiM to get access to the beta? Have you signed in to Alwxa from the WiiM app? Have you signed in to Amazon Music in the WiiM app and under settings there, toggled on access to the Amazon Music HD/UHD beta?

Music1969

Major Contributor
The way it's written, it's only inside WiiM Home app not casting?

Maybe casting paused because they have reproduced a little bug I found - sorry guys :D

Brantome

Major Contributor
The way it's written, it's only inside WiiM Home app not casting?

Maybe casting paused because they have reproduced a little bug I found - sorry guys :D
Yeah, today I’ve had audio stopping although the Wiim and Amazon Music app show it’s still paying (but at different parts of the track), wrong track info/art being displayed and it skipping thru all tracks in a playlist. All bug reported.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yeah, today I’ve had audio stopping although the Wiim and Amazon Music app show it’s still paying (but at different parts of the track), wrong track info/art being displayed and it skipping thru all tracks in a playlist. All bug reported.
Haven't had any of these issues when casting yet but will keep an eye and ear out for them

Or did you mean inside WiiM home app? I haven't beta tested any of that since the first day when it wouldn't play past track 1. I should test a bit more

Brantome

Major Contributor
Haven't had any of these issues when casting yet but will keep an eye and ear out for them

Or did you mean inside WiiM home app? I haven't beta tested any of that since the first day when it wouldn't play past track 1. I should test a bit more
A mixture tbh. It’s generally fine if you don’t hop between apps and functions, but asking it to skip tracks in either app, hopping between casting and the WiiM app does seem to upset it a little. I also noticed it dropped by amazon music credentials so I had to log back in and toggle hd/uhd back on.

Top Bottom